Author Topic: Brainstorming anti-ranged builds  (Read 4218 times)

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
Re: Brainstorming anti-ranged builds
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2018, 10:58:48 am »
just stay melee but put all your skills in pd and 100% archery wpf.  you are then melee but can shoot at archers.  while still being melee.  but you can troll archers by shooting them while being melee.
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2018, 11:05:25 am »
+1
Yeldur, how is the project (kd > 1) for your archer char coming along?

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2018, 11:06:33 am »
Play horse archer

bring a camel

It's not the best choice
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 11:18:32 am by Gurnisson »
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Reyiz

• Count
  • Renown: 235
  • Infamy: 89
  • cRPG Player
  • Smell of Money
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Rainbow
  • IRC nick: Jewianna
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2018, 11:32:59 am »
+1
12/27 shield thrower, you can use throwing axes or daggers, but the objective is to go behind enemy ranged and just constantly harrass them as much as you can.
3/33 shield daggerer, pretty simple, you use a shield and a dagger to sneak up on ranged and spam them to death before they can deal with you, build would work fantastic with the round table imo

I ve played as shielder most of my time in this game and i can say these builds suck. I played as a thrower as well for a reasonable time. You cant be both shielder and thrower at the same time. You wont be effective as you expected with a shield while you are a thrower. So my suggestion for you is

1- grow balls
2- use a 3point difficulty shield even if you play as 2h/polearm

Offline the real god emperor

• King
  • Renown: 1630
  • Infamy: 348
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • Et tu, Brute?
    • View Profile
    • Click for gifts
  • Faction: Rome
  • Game nicks: Captain_Sweden
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2018, 12:11:03 pm »
+1
If we are to survive, a new balance must be found. In normal times, evil would be fought by good. But in times like these, well, it should be fought by another kind of evil.

21/18 or 21/15 1h/2h cav. 21 15 is more optimal for level 30;  you can max out all the stats you need. The downside of it is you cant use heavy horses, but who cares about those, get a camel. 1H cav is great at fending off other cavs, but its damage against armored targets is so bad, and since archers can easily get 50+ armor with +3 items I will recommend 2h cav with a morningstar. It is harder to use than any other cav weapon but you can 1 hit a lot of people. And you won't be having a shield with it so you will be pointblank shot by any archer as its fairly easy to do. So grab a 0 diff 0 slot shield and a great lance. Be the ultimate my old friendcher slayer. Plate armor is recommended for optimal performance.

Offline Corsair831

• King
  • Renown: 1168
  • Infamy: 616
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2018, 01:13:19 pm »
+1
I ve played as shielder most of my time in this game and i can say these builds suck. I played as a thrower as well for a reasonable time. You cant be both shielder and thrower at the same time. You wont be effective as you expected with a shield while you are a thrower. So my suggestion for you is

1- grow balls
2- use a 3point difficulty shield even if you play as 2h/polearm

Hey, Reyiz

I 10/10'd cRPG on moddb.com!

Do your bit for our community and write a 10/10 review for cRPG on http://www.moddb.com/mods/crpg !

Offline Casul

• King
  • Renown: 1010
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • I like animals
    • View Profile
  • Faction: plate goons club, Krems
  • Game nicks: Cassi, Antarctica
  • IRC nick: Cassi
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2018, 01:43:53 pm »
+2
anti ranged build: 30+ STR full IF.

anti ranged helmet: visitors can't see pics , please register or login

+ anti ranged armor: visitors can't see pics , please register or login

= win

/thread
Maybe if Coronoa virus gets rid of 50 percent or more of the world population we can do without a pope and religion.

Offline Yeldur

• Global Head Retard
  • Duke
  • Renown: 574
  • Infamy: 189
  • cRPG Player
  • Trained by Nord BlueKnight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen, Burg Krems, Acre
  • Game nicks: ladoea, Yeldur
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2018, 01:54:49 pm »
Yeldur, how is the project (kd > 1) for your archer char coming along?
My archer is still going quite well actually, I've not really been playing much because archers haven't changed from the already broken state they're in which makes things a bit boring.
Unfortunately the last time I was playing archer my ISP was being shitty and my ping was spiking all over the place, so my K/D has now become unstable leaning more towards deaths as I couldn't hit anything ;c

Still not too bad though, and I'm sure I'll be able to catch back up (42/65) to the deaths considering they're not even that far away from the kills.

Also, guise plz, I said don't give me archer or xbow builds as I don't want to add to c-rpg's death by ranged

he,  the god admin.  drink the tea, not ascared to  fight in th  batefield,

Offline DaveUKR

• Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 242
  • cRPG Player
  • Small rain lays great dust
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2018, 04:42:34 pm »
+1
My archer is still going quite well actually, I've not really been playing much because archers haven't changed from the already broken state they're in which makes things a bit boring.
Unfortunately the last time I was playing archer my ISP was being shitty and my ping was spiking all over the place, so my K/D has now become unstable leaning more towards deaths as I couldn't hit anything ;c

Still not too bad though, and I'm sure I'll be able to catch back up (42/65) to the deaths considering they're not even that far away from the kills.

Also, guise plz, I said don't give me archer or xbow builds as I don't want to add to c-rpg's death by ranged

But thrower is ranged too.

Offline Yeldur

• Global Head Retard
  • Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2018, 05:30:21 pm »
But thrower is ranged too.
Yeah but thrower isn't a long range class, plus it's not even that powerful overall, that's why I've made an exception for it.

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2018, 05:32:46 pm »
+3
I always felt that my go-to build was fairly well-equipped to hunt down ranged if I felt like it, however it is fairly gear-dependent.

Current build:

Strength: 18 
Agility: 24 

Polearm: 184 

Weapon Master: 8 
Athletics: 8 
Iron Flesh: 2 
Shield: 5 
Power Strike: 6

(You can easily just go 15-24 if at a lower level, and strength isn't as important for 'countering' ranged)

If I want to hunt down ranged scum then I make sure to wear light armor, typically my leather (anti)ranger armor, leather gloves, and rus cav boots and bring a light shield like my leather covered round shield. The key element is to bring a long, 4d polearm that you can use in hoplite mode, my go-to is the svaerdstav, as it allows you to run up close and get a faster-and-farther-than-they-expect jump stab aimed right at their face before they think to turn and run or pull out their melee weapon. Once you're safely within in melee range you can drop or sheathe your shield and get all slash-happy with your (hopefully) faster and (probably) longer weapon.

Now you may have noticed that I don't bother wearing head armor to counter ranged, and that is no mere oversight. In fact, this important element may be more vital than the long slashy weapon. See, speed is key here, and no lightweight helmet is gonna make the difference between life and death if you're headshot anyways. That, and the sight of your glorious locks flowing in the wind are enough to taunt any ranged pleb into only going for headshots, which have a much higher chance of missing than mere body shots, which little do they know would do you in nearly as quickly. Your shield is what protects you from the ranged within your sights, your lack of head armor is what protects you from any meddling ranged on your flank.

(click to show/hide)

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline Yeldur

• Global Head Retard
  • Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2018, 06:32:00 pm »
I always felt that my go-to build was fairly well-equipped to hunt down ranged if I felt like it, however it is fairly gear-dependent.

Current build:

Strength: 18 
Agility: 24 

Polearm: 184 

Weapon Master: 8 
Iron Flesh: 2 
Shield: 5 
Power Strike: 6

(You can easily just go 15-24 if at a lower level, and strength isn't as important for 'countering' ranged)

If I want to hunt down ranged scum then I make sure to wear light armor, typically my leather (anti)ranger armor, leather gloves, and rus cav boots and bring a light shield like my leather covered round shield. The key element is to bring a long, 4d polearm that you can use in hoplite mode, my go-to is the svaerdstav, as it allows you to run up close and get a faster-and-farther-than-they-expect jump stab aimed right at their face before they think to turn and run or pull out their melee weapon. Once you're safely within in melee range you can drop or sheathe your shield and get all slash-happy with your (hopefully) faster and (probably) longer weapon.

Now you may have noticed that I don't bother wearing head armor to counter ranged, and that is no mere oversight. In fact, this important element may be more vital than the long slashy weapon. See, speed is key here, and no lightweight helmet is gonna make the difference between life and death if you're headshot anyways. That, and the sight of your glorious locks flowing in the wind are enough to taunt any ranged pleb into only going for headshots, which have a much higher chance of missing than mere body shots, which little do they know would do you in nearly as quickly. Your shield is what protects you from the ranged within your sights, your lack of head armor is what protects you from any meddling ranged on your flank.

(click to show/hide)

Nice, I like it. I'll give that a shot :o - Though it seems this build is more made for like 33+ even at 15/24 as I can't get any of those stats on a lvl 30 build currently without seriously sacrificing some stats. :c
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 06:37:05 pm by Yeldur »

Offline Sandersson Jankins

• King
  • Renown: 1450
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA Apologists
  • Game nicks: fnord
  • IRC nick: "There's always a bigger nerd"- Qui-Gong Jim, Star Trek IV: Electric Boogalo
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2018, 07:34:26 pm »
Yeah but thrower isn't a long range class, plus it's not even that powerful overall, that's why I've made an exception for it.

yeah just wait until the new cheeky meta is throwing, you think archers get exponentially worse as the population increases...throwers can REALLY hit critical mass, able to pick up spent ammunition from other, lesser tossers running around

throwing lances, jarids, throwing axes, those weird fishing-jig throwie lancy things...all littering the ground waiting for some cunt (or 5) with 7 PS and a half-chub

the administrator of this forum is the Internet Keyboard man? Can only play "authority" in the virtual world?Can you tell me why?

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2018, 07:52:08 pm »
Nice, I like it. I'll give that a shot :o - Though it seems this build is more made for like 33+ even at 15/24 as I can't get any of those stats on a lvl 30 build currently without seriously sacrificing some stats. :c

It works well enough at level 31, you just need to sacrificed shield skill or go with 0 IF. I guess level 30 might be trickier, but seeing how you only really need 3 shield skill to use most shields, it can be done if you sacrifice 1 point of weapon master. At level 30 I would do:

Weapon Master: 7 
Iron Flesh: 0
Shield: 3
Power Strike: 5

I think the math checks out... I'm just not sure how good or bad the forcefield would be with only 3 shield skill.

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline Zeus_

• The Best Caboose
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 447
  • Infamy: 18
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HoC
  • Game nicks: Zeus
  • IRC nick: Zeus?
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2018, 08:01:44 pm »