Author Topic: Unnamed project for 2018 aka The medieval game  (Read 8580 times)

Offline belda

• Knight
  • Renown: 42
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
  • Matando guiris, como siempre.
    • View Profile
    • NovaSimulatio
  • Faction: Brigand
  • Game nicks: Otta
  • IRC nick: Steam: Belda
Unnamed project for 2018 aka The medieval game
« on: February 01, 2018, 11:19:04 pm »
+4
It is a hard project started recently, I hope to show something very soon.

To explain it better I summarize it in... the game is a mix between the persistent world and crpg/strategus. It's free.

In the persistent world we will have jobs, tasks, tournaments, entertainment, commerce, politics, conspiracies, gestion, death .... On the other hand there will be a recruitment stall in the capital to participate in foreign wars. Battles and sieges. If you become someone important, be it for money or titles you can create a small army, players and npc.

Things to consider:

* There will be no user interface, you will not know the health points, the stamina or the adrenaline. You will not know your stats either.

* In this game you will rise not by clicking on buttons on a screen. Here you have to train. If you want to specialize in a weapon use it constantly and you will notice little by little that you will be faster or that you will attack harder, in addition you will learn some new movements.

* One life, a lot of family. If your character dies, he dies forever and loses everything he has on him. But in a combat your character can be presumed dead and remain alive. As in the game you can have properties, these and all their content go to your descendant.

If something is not clear, you want to deepen in some particular topic or make a suggestion I invite you to comment.

Work in progress:

- Combat animations. One-handed weapons, with a shield and without it.
- Programming of the combat system.
- Network programming, Deathmatch game mode to test the combat system.

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

To-Do list 2018:

• Complete combat system.
  • Persistent world. The capital, The big town full of shit.

Offline Gnjus

• King
  • Renown: 1831
  • Infamy: 397
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Siktir git, pislik okçu.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Turklings
Re: Unnamed project for 2018 aka The medieval game
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 08:13:14 am »
+10
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.

Offline Ikarus

• King
  • Renown: 1470
  • Infamy: 121
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Your favourite Schnitzel
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Ikarooz, CrossBowbimbo
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 12:53:22 pm »
+2

this

- hey I make a mmo-medieval game and just started recently
- one image, the rest just wobbly concepts
- posts it in community which witnessed the rise and fall of OKAM

either this is a troll or belda is very new to game development

Which engine? How big is the team? What's your experience in game development/your skills? Any experience with multiplayer games/setting up or maintaining servers? If your experience is lying somewhere under 8 years: don't do it. Start small. Make a little singleplayer game first, maybe even playable in browser. What I've learned from game development in the past years is that you should keep a game really, really simple at first. Make very few mechanics, but make them as good as possible. Flesh out the controls, hunt down bugs, improve performance, rework designs or models which don't seem to fit. Make the game as much fun as possible, replayable, memorable. Then post it on a game dev forum, gather feedback, rework given issues/ideas and maybe get some people to help with areas you're not familiar with, be it music/soundfx, animations, level design or even color compositing. Polish, rinse, repeat.

Either give us a detailed insight of the project, and I mean concept art, animations, models, gameplay or leave it be. Everything else will hurt you and your project. Sorry for my harsh words but I've seen this very situation a couple of times now and I don't want anyone to fall into this common trap.

Even really simple games take a LOT of hard work and time to be somewhat payable. I've been talking with the devs of this game last year and it's incredible how much of your lifetime you have to invest into these kind of projects. The game may be simple, but thanks to intense polishing, quite some fun with a few people. Me and some friends often ended up at their booth at the end of the day to play a couple of rounds (and a game called "Overcooked", that's ridiculously hilarious with some friends aswell)

Start with walking before you run!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 12:57:19 pm by Ikarus »

Offline belda

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • NovaSimulatio
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 03:05:37 pm »
I have 7 years of experience. My skills are programming, environment modeling, props and characters, animation and level design. My weak point is the sound but I have time to get into it.

I've done before the warband combat system in singleplayer with animations that do not measure up for making them very fast. Now I'm working on them a lot and I hope to put gifs of the different animations soon. Keep in mind that making animations by the traditional system costs a lot,  more for this combat system. I came to calculate that I would need about 800 animations just for the whole combat and that can take a year when with a mocap system you can do them in less than one month.

The engine we are using is Unity3D. In the team we are two people, we do not want to take the project out tomorrow, do it little by little. This thread is for you to see how the game evolves from scratch.

Why OKAM fell into the abyss? fake EA trailer.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 03:24:58 pm »
+2
we'll call you back

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 03:34:22 pm »

Why OKAM fell into the abyss? fake EA trailer.

Over-ambition, desperation and lack of budget i would say, we didnt even get to see any sort of resemblance of what they promised because they didnt have the time to finish a rough sketch of it.
Over-ambition is the one that kills, it was the thing i worried about in OKAM from the get go, and this project seems to walk the same path. Not saying ambition is bad, but when you start painting this picture of a game (everyone does it and thinks they could develop a great game) and think that you can pull off so many aspects of it to make it all work together is a bit too much. cRPG works because in its core its just a battle server with rpg elements. Then they could expand on that to some bigger projects like strategus. Maybe even more depth wouldve been created were it not diverted to OKAM.

Good luck i suppose, but you will need a lot of time and moolah to build a enjoyable persistent world experience and have a playerbase in it if you expect to get it all roughly working from the get-go.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 06:30:24 pm »
+2
* There will be no user interface, you will not know the health points, the stamina or the adrenaline. You will not know your stats either.
Horrible, horrible idea. There is a reason user interfaces exist even in "hardcore realistic" games. There is no reason for not having an user interface other than wanting to annoy your players. In real life, I know if I'm healthy, I know how much "stamina" I have left, I know if I'm feeling pumped up, I know what my "stats" are, and so on. A game is not realistic for not showing me these things. A game is unrealistic if it doesn't show me these things.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 06:32:38 pm »
+1
Over-ambition
This was definitely a big thing. Epic was far beyond them from the get go, they sold a pipe dream that even AAA studios would've had an extremely difficult time delivering. They should've focused all their attention on a small scale arena mode -- make the combat feel awesome, build it like a fighting game except with "realistic" medieval melee combat, and then expand if you get enough sales to hire more devs.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline zottlmarsch

• King
  • Renown: 1114
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems (Founder)
  • Game nicks: Eberhart & Juta von Krems
  • IRC nick: Dan
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2018, 06:51:25 pm »
+6
Will there be control on the main menu?

Offline belda

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • NovaSimulatio
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2018, 07:47:20 pm »
+1
I prefer not to create hype, to do it with tranquility and with the best possible result. I prefer to talk to potential players rather than developers.

I am unemployed, I have knowledge, a computer and a lot of free time to work on this project. I have no budget and that bothers me, with 3500 euros could do what planned for 2018 in three months. So I'm working hard to start asking for donations. As a reminder ... The game will be free.

Horrible, horrible idea. There is a reason user interfaces exist even in "hardcore realistic" games. There is no reason for not having an user interface other than wanting to annoy your players. In real life, I know if I'm healthy, I know how much "stamina" I have left, I know if I'm feeling pumped up, I know what my "stats" are, and so on. A game is not realistic for not showing me these things. A game is unrealistic if it doesn't show me these things.

A realistic game would reflect everything in the character. Wounds, hunger, cold, fatigue, everything will be reflected in the character, through animations and sounds. Do you prefer a few bars that tell you what's going on, removing the immersion to the game? It's more work but it will be worth it

Will there be control on the main menu?

Of course.

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • Renown: 1761
  • Infamy: 331
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigåde
  • Game nicks: KuoiN, Ziath
  • IRC nick: Simply Kuoin
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2018, 09:12:17 pm »
+2
Looking forward to this.

Offline Porthos

• Marshall
  • Renown: 779
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • The February Patch Survivor
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hello Kitty Clan (aka 'Clan For Fun')
  • Game nicks: Porthos_Woodstock, InvasionOfGiganticLANDCRABS, Random_Nobody, cRPG_Addict and many more
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2018, 11:04:11 pm »
+5
it's 2018 and crpg forum is still the fucking best place for getting insane cringes/laughs :mrgreen:
thanks for the revival, guys. i mean it seriously, thank you once again <3 :lol:
(click to show/hide)
<=== thanks to Tiny_Glancer <3 (never click on that image)
I'm not sure if ships are ingame
You Can't Kill Me

Offline Taser

• King
  • Renown: 1447
  • Infamy: 82
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Alfred_Taser_of_TKoV
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2018, 11:57:05 pm »
+3

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2018, 01:33:25 pm »
+1

A realistic game would reflect everything in the character. Wounds, hunger, cold, fatigue, everything will be reflected in the character, through animations and sounds. Do you prefer a few bars that tell you what's going on, removing the immersion to the game? It's more work but it will be worth it
Except you can't reflect those things accurately, intuitively and quickly without UI. And I suppose you're going to have to guess how wounded you are from "animations and sounds" as well? Again this isn't realistic. Games don't transfer feeling, UI is the most realistic alternative for portraying almost everything. I don't have to look in the mirror to see if I'm wounded or hungry (yeah I'm sure there'll be a SUPER realistic way of portraying hunger). I also don't have to wonder how much a wound hurts and how much it'll affect my capability by looking in the mirror...

Minimal UI = fine. No UI = retarded.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2018, 02:31:04 pm »
+2
Go at it belda; if you have experience, time, motivation and some money, you can easily do something correct, have it listed on steam&co with a small return on investment.

Oh and dont make the mistake of taking Xant post seriously and engaging with him. Also until you show more of your project its normal that there is at best mixed reactions. The road of game development is a very long and hard one.