Author Topic: Donkey team no longer developing M:BG / OKAM  (Read 107719 times)

Offline Gurgumul

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Donkey team no longer developing M:BG / OKAM
« Reply #705 on: December 20, 2017, 09:11:56 pm »
give me my hecking donor title or I will hurt ur feelings even biglier

pogosan

« Reply #706 on: December 20, 2017, 09:44:07 pm »
+1

Offline Kadeth

• Marshall
  • Renown: 845
  • Infamy: 81
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Calradian Confederacy
  • Game nicks: kadeth
« Reply #707 on: December 20, 2017, 10:40:42 pm »
+1
At least now we all know the real reason for OKAM failing. What was chadz thinking asking leshma for advice?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: December 20, 2017, 11:27:17 pm »
At least now we all know the real reason for OKAM failing. What was chadz thinking asking leshma for advice?
This broke my suspension of disbelief. Leshman must be off its meds again.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Sigibert

• Knight
  • Renown: 67
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: December 20, 2017, 11:54:18 pm »
+1
So many okam diehard fans and shills even now believe the game had the best combat system, it's hilarious. The combat was a clunky, sluggish mess with stiff and ugly animations and horrible controls. Every "feature" these brainwashed bubble-dwellers think improved the combat (such as more attack directions or left click for everything) didn't actually put any depth on the system.
Their argument? You didn't put enough hours in it; I don't need to put in hundreds of hours in another FPS game for example to be able to tell it's garbage. The things that were wrong with OKAM's combat were very obvious and detectable fast to anyone with veteran experience in the genre.

Ok, I know it's easy ridiculing any dissenting opinion on that matter on this forum since every one who hates Okam has stayed here, and everybody who loved it had moved to Okam discord. I know I can't convince you and you wouldn't care either way.

Let me just say this:
I played Warband for 1300+ hours and I loved the combat system. I played Okam a couple of times and found it awkward until I got the gist of things and slowly learned to appreciate it for how fluid and intuitive it actually felt. It took me a couple of days, though. I went back to Warband a few times after that and while I still loved Warband for what it was I've been convinced that Okam's controls offer something more.

I'll just leave it at that.

Offline Tristan_of_Erzoth

• Game Admin
  • Renown: 1000
  • Infamy: 217
  • cRPG Player
  • I dont know
    • View Profile
    • steam id
  • Game nicks: Tristan_of_Erzoth, Sorcerer_Tholamin, Big_Dick_McCallister
  • IRC nick: wtf is an IRC
« Reply #710 on: December 21, 2017, 12:05:55 am »
+3
Lmao fam its pretty ridiculous to say that everyone on this forum hates OKAM. I played it for ~50 hours before it died on NA and wasnt worth the time anymore and I too enjoyed the combat. I wouldnt go as far to say its the best ever though, and cRPG combat is a lot more fluid with more combat options.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/evilmagic/

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 495
  • Infamy: 1357
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: December 21, 2017, 12:32:39 am »
You were just jealously asserting your authority because of my successful Weimar Republic days.

Deleted post cause of censorship which ruined the whole point.

Offline Asheram

• King
  • Renown: 1107
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • stuck in a never ending time loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: December 21, 2017, 12:39:06 am »
+1
Ok, I know it's easy ridiculing any dissenting opinion on that matter on this forum since every one who hates Okam has stayed here, and everybody who loved it had moved to Okam discord. I know I can't convince you and you wouldn't care either way.

Let me just say this:
I played Warband for 1300+ hours and I loved the combat system. I played Okam a couple of times and found it awkward until I got the gist of things and slowly learned to appreciate it for how fluid and intuitive it actually felt. It took me a couple of days, though. I went back to Warband a few times after that and while I still loved Warband for what it was I've been convinced that Okam's controls offer something more.

Mortal Combat!ARYS "@Asheram you arent even what you stole from me bud"
PENDULUM
For everything that could have been At least we took the ride There's no relief in bitterness Might as well let it die

Offline Kadeth

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: December 21, 2017, 02:47:35 am »
+2

Let me just say this:

Look, I know I can't prove this because the forum was deleted, but myself and others here really tried to have productive conversations with you about OKAM's combat. The reason you'll continue to be ridiculed here is because you've only ever had two arguments, those being "in my opinion it is more fluid!" and "warband is less realistic!". Oh, and can't forget the classic OKAM fanboy meme, "you never played it enough to truly understand it!!", even though I regularly went 40-0 back when the servers actually had players.

You admitted yourself that you were never a competitive player in either game, yet you would constantly talk trash about how OKAM's combat was superior. Can you not understand why that makes people think you're retarded? You have no understanding of the mechanics behind high tier warband combat, you've made that very clear. For some of us, things in OKAM like the reduced turn rate and reduced attack angling degrees were major steps backwards as they have huge effects on skill ceiling and therefore the longevity of the game.

Offline Tristan_of_Erzoth

• Game Admin
  • Renown: 1000
  • Infamy: 217
  • cRPG Player
  • I dont know
    • View Profile
    • steam id
  • Game nicks: Tristan_of_Erzoth, Sorcerer_Tholamin, Big_Dick_McCallister
  • IRC nick: wtf is an IRC
« Reply #714 on: December 21, 2017, 03:22:40 am »
Look, I know I can't prove this because the forum was deleted, but myself and others here really tried to have productive conversations with you about OKAM's combat. The reason you'll continue to be ridiculed here is because you've only ever had two arguments, those being "in my opinion it is more fluid!" and "warband is less realistic!". Oh, and can't forget the classic OKAM fanboy meme, "you never played it enough to truly understand it!!", even though I regularly went 40-0 back when the servers actually had players.

You admitted yourself that you were never a competitive player in either game, yet you would constantly talk trash about how OKAM's combat was superior. Can you not understand why that makes people think you're retarded? You have no understanding of the mechanics behind high tier warband combat, you've made that very clear. For some of us, things in OKAM like the reduced turn rate and reduced attack angling degrees were major steps backwards as they have huge effects on skill ceiling and therefore the longevity of the game.

To be fair, even I regularly went 10:1 KD on OKAM so thats not that big of af eat

http://steamcommunity.com/id/evilmagic/

Offline Kadeth

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: December 21, 2017, 03:52:56 am »

To be fair, even I regularly went 10:1 KD on OKAM so thats not that big of af eat

Yeah no kidding, a good KD in OKAM is nothing to be proud of. I'm just saying it's a weak argument to say "oh you just haven't played enough okam to see how great it is" to people that are topping the scoreboards. It literally takes about 20 hours to master

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #716 on: December 21, 2017, 07:18:35 am »
+1
Idk why they didnt just stick to 360° attacks, and keep the rest of the Warband system (with a better collision system maybe?). Thats all we really need in Bannerlord too, hope they dont fuck this up.

Well they were the developers who played it the most, they probably had a good reason to change it. I can see many reasons how the 360 attacks would be hard to properly make work, while the system they went seemed much along the same path but easier to manage.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: December 21, 2017, 07:22:00 am »
+1
Its OK to like different things I guess, and OKAM wasn't terrible. It just didn't really improve enough on cRPG and seemed to take several steps back, which made it kind of a redundant game imo.

I put about 90 hours into that game. Probably mostly in duel because when I played it was just that single flag respawning mode otherwise and that got very repetitive. I wasn't great. I was probably merely OK, but it was pretty clear how you did well in that game by observing and playing against the best duelers.

It was all about cheesing people into dropping their blocks because they had to move the camera to stay facing the opponent. Just silly spamming on one side and the other or holding attacks until they have to turn so the block drops. There was a stance lock key but I found it fiddly as hell. There was also a setting in the options that locked a stance by default, but it was also very clunky and came with its own downsides to play like that.

There wasn't really any block stun, you couldn't really aim attacks, there wasn't really any sweet spots (just full damage the entire swing). There just didn't really seem to be much depth, it was just a contest in trying to use the flaws in the controls against people and spamming. Maybe they improved it a bit at some point, but I was already pretty bored of it and felt like the core of the game wasn't going to improve enough
If you have ranged troubles use this:

Offline Sigibert

• Knight
  • Renown: 67
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: December 21, 2017, 08:33:54 am »
The reason you'll continue to be ridiculed here is because you've only ever had two arguments, those being "in my opinion it is more fluid!" and "warband is less realistic!". Oh, and can't forget the classic OKAM fanboy meme, "you never played it enough to truly understand it!!", even though I regularly went 40-0 back when the servers actually had players.

I don't think it's a matter of how long you've played it. You can have hundreds of hours in a game and never truly understand its mechanics.
I don't think either Warband or Okam are particularly realistic. It's about fun and intuitiveness, rather than realism. To the fluidity argument I stand.

You admitted yourself that you were never a competitive player in either game, yet you would constantly talk trash about how OKAM's combat was superior.

I don't think I made an objective statement about it, as it always comes down to opinion.
Me, not being a top tier dueller shouldn't matter. I'm the average player's opinion which is valid, too. Also, I would say I did pretty well in both games but a lot better in Okam.

It was all about cheesing people into dropping their blocks because they had to move the camera to stay facing the opponent. Just silly spamming on one side and the other or holding attacks until they have to turn so the block drops. There was a stance lock key but I found it fiddly as hell. There was also a setting in the options that locked a stance by default, but it was also very clunky and came with its own downsides to play like that.

Yeah, stance lock by default wasn't a viable way to fight in that game. I personally learned to play well with the stance lock key, others like Nemesis or Ramses never used it and they were always top scorer in matches.
I developed a defensive play style so spamming against me or trying to circle me wouldn't have been effective.

There wasn't really any block stun
There was bad block. You get a slight stun when not being in the perfect stance which slows you down. I didn't particularly like it, but many people swore in it.

you couldn't really aim attacks
Yeah, you could. I believe Kaktus especially had been criticised for abusing the aim mechanic more than most.

Maybe they improved it a bit at some point, but I was already pretty bored of it and felt like the core of the game wasn't going to improve enough
Fair enough
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 08:41:19 am by Sigibert »

Offline zottlmarsch

• King
  • Renown: 1114
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems (Founder)
  • Game nicks: Eberhart & Juta von Krems
  • IRC nick: Dan
« Reply #719 on: December 21, 2017, 08:51:04 am »
+11
Ther was a hilarious meme someone made on old okam forum, it was chadz riding a bicycle with square wheels, in the corner was siegbert saying "this is the greatest invention ever"

Lmao

Then they went and just deleted the forum and all those quality posts with it, ffs