Author Topic: Dev Blog #5 Combat  (Read 66045 times)

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
Re: Dev Blog #5 Combat
« Reply #180 on: March 03, 2016, 09:28:49 am »
+2
Reapy waited five years to make that post, damn dude. Also awesome to know they may be joining us in donkeygame :)
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline Tomas_Miles_again

• Earl
  • Renown: 317
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: None
  • Game nicks: None anymore
« Reply #181 on: March 03, 2016, 12:42:29 pm »
Sure, but you may lose sight of what it was you were creating in the first place.
You can prevent that by defining requirements in the beginning, having different features/ideas in different branches etc

Offline Reapy

• Noble
  • Renown: 10
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 03, 2016, 05:27:58 pm »
+1
I think the whole thing is great really, I think it is crazy to see what CRPG turned into from a group of guys that started from basically just playing some game on the internet, and how they kept everything up and running for so long. Then taking the step to pack up and move to different countries just to work on this is huge, not something I'm sure I would be able to have done myself at all. I really hope they do well with it, this is a tough genera to crack.

I think all the melee games after warband failed to have longevity because none of the developers actually understood the mechanics of warband and the iterations it went through, so they made a lot of the same mistakes that were in it early on. The crpg guys here obviously know warband and have been trying to mess with the engine and combat mechanics in crpg for years, so it's no surprise to see that what they are coming up with is something different yet understanding the realities of playing and controlling a game.

I hope next year or the year after I'll be happily playing this game and bannerlord getting pwned by everybody again!

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
  • Renown: 1856
  • Infamy: 338
  • Sky belongs to Asagods as long as the raven flies.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Son_Of_Odin
« Reply #183 on: March 03, 2016, 05:56:40 pm »
That is a pretty bad analogy.. with software you can rewind to any point and resume from there.

Tell that to Kingdom Come: Deliverance devs who said they added 2000 different animations for each weapon :D
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

There is no sight in my third eye

Offline Reapy

• Noble
  • Renown: 10
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 03, 2016, 06:00:28 pm »
+2
Okay now I'm spamming but I thought of some questions, and probably the answer will all be yes, but thought I would ask.

- Attack interrupts.  Is this the m&b way, full interrupt when you hit, so you basically race to 'first touch' of the weapon? Or the chiv way, only interrupt on specific phases of a swing?

- Weapon sweet spots, are you guys deadening the front/back damage of a swing?

I think if you don't do this, animations get exploited to make weapons hit faster.  Chiv had a problem with this because when you looked at the ground the model's upper torso bent in half, this effectively brought the start of polearm overhead swings closer to the ground such that they would hit as soon as an overhead attack came out. WOTR same deal with slashing people standing 90 degrees left of you on horizontal swings.

Essentially it made it optimal to be looking at the ground or hitting people behind you, there was no point to actually looking at your opponent.

I guess this can also be controlled with very careful animation placement too but that seems a lot harder to do. 

- Any type of weapon collision planned, eg if we both swing at the same time at the space in front of us? I think this is probably unrealistic given the animation work and collision detection that has to go on for it, but was wondering.

- Chamber blocks or some similar mechanic? Doesn't seem to fit what is there now at first thought but who knows. It's obviously a mechanic that confused people a lot.

- When you attack can you hold/delay the release of the swing? If so any effects for doing so? I liked m&b's short little 'golf swing' like mechanic, where as viking's longer held strike seemed to defeat the purpose of ever switching directions, it gave people plenty of time to get the correct block.

- Is there some sort of stunning when you are blocked? It seems so, or is that just a property of you getting your stance changed + stance change time before you can attack back, or there is a block stun?

Okay, I think that's all I can think of for now.

Offline xxkaliboyx

• Earl
  • Renown: 318
  • Infamy: 104
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Deserter_Merrrrrica
« Reply #185 on: March 03, 2016, 06:30:58 pm »
I guess the only question I have right now and sorry if this has been answered but I could not find a reference anywhere...

Can you lose stamina by blocking in anyway?
Deserter_Merrrrrica

Offline Gaz.Spencer

• Knight
  • Renown: 46
  • Infamy: 18
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Gaz3545, Gaz.Spencer, Von_Smittenden
« Reply #186 on: March 03, 2016, 07:04:14 pm »
I guess the only question I have right now and sorry if this has been answered but I could not find a reference anywhere...

Can you lose stamina by blocking in anyway?

Yes, just watch the vid. Each block makes the player lose stamina. However with an active parry, I don't think you lose stamina

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 06, 2016, 01:55:56 pm »
+2
So you are saying you want the horribly unrealistic combat of Warband? Just because something is more complicated doesn't make it bad. Let's remember that the devs are a team of individuals who all loved Warband. If all of these individuals can agree that the combat is good, I reckon it'll be pretty good

I would trust Jacko and Paul with everything about combat, it's the others I'm a tad bit concerned about :lol:

Offline autobus

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 598
  • Infamy: 127
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bartering Brigade "Black Tea"
  • Game nicks: Autobus, Shushu, Samodur
  • IRC nick: Autobus
« Reply #188 on: March 06, 2016, 03:30:00 pm »
+8
I would trust Jacko and Paul with everything about combat, it's the others I'm a tad bit concerned about :lol:
eu3. now. сука блядь.

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
  • Renown: 1856
  • Infamy: 338
  • Sky belongs to Asagods as long as the raven flies.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Son_Of_Odin
« Reply #189 on: March 06, 2016, 10:22:03 pm »
+3
eu3. now. сука блядь.

Gib alpha. Now. сука блядь.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

There is no sight in my third eye

Offline Gaz.Spencer

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 07, 2016, 06:43:37 am »
I like it too. But I also didn't mind sprinting like it's done in Chivalry which is hardly more than jogging anyway.
It just shouldn't get too speedy. That's where horses are supposed to come into play.

The truth is people can sprint pretty fast in real life. Of course armour would slow it substantially, but even then, it isn't slow. Stamina comes in to stop people sprinting to much.

Offline Maestro

• Knight
  • Renown: 36
  • Infamy: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 07, 2016, 07:13:42 am »
when can we expect next video update?

Offline Golem

• Earl
  • Renown: 466
  • Infamy: 206
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: rektlessHEMPrincess
« Reply #192 on: March 07, 2016, 07:54:54 am »
I am not sure what game it was, but they said you can adjust movement speed with the mousewheel, in that game. That would be a worthwhile feature, imo.
This is about being straight out retarded. Children see in slow motion like owls.

Offline Gaz.Spencer

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 07, 2016, 04:40:50 pm »
I am not sure what game it was, but they said you can adjust movement speed with the mousewheel, in that game. That would be a worthwhile feature, imo.

Great idea. And we can change weapons by pressing Numpad Enter...

Offline Golem

• Earl
  • Renown: 466
  • Infamy: 206
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: rektlessHEMPrincess
« Reply #194 on: March 07, 2016, 04:44:33 pm »
123456789, is that enough weapons for you?
This is about being straight out retarded. Children see in slow motion like owls.