Author Topic: Dev Blog #2 What is Melee?  (Read 27481 times)

Offline Jaren

• Earl
  • Renown: 303
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: MB
Re: Dev Blog #2 What is Melee?
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2015, 05:19:51 pm »
(click to show/hide)
- chadz News

hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggghhh
I'm SO FUCKIN READY
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Xesta

• Count
  • Renown: 187
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
  • Known as the best player of cRPG.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2015, 05:22:34 pm »
+1
"No matter your level, at the end of the day it's still a question of your personal skill who will be triumphant in a combat situation."

So does that mean we get a similiar lvl system as in c-rpg? Never read something about the lvl-system in detail, sorry if it was mentioned before somewhere else, but yeah wanted to know more about that in detail.
Xesta you dumb fuck it all started because of you.Everyone i know in this server hates u pimple faced fuck.Go find someone else to pull your nipples,spit your face and tell how stupid you are i'm done with you.I'LL KEBAP YOUR ASS ON MY SHISH I'LL TURN FACE HOLES INTO A SPERM SPLATTER TO GROW FETUS IN UR MOMS UTERUS

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2015, 05:40:45 pm »
If you can only be attacked during the day so you can't get robbed in the night, what will determine the exact hours of "daytime?" Would it strictly be timezone-related and have all battles occur during primetime (roughly 6-10, maybe)? Or is it literally any point in the day, so morning, afternoon, and early evening, allowing no-lifers to ruin anyone who has a 9-5 job?

hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggghhh
I'm SO FUCKIN READY

Don't get your panties in a bunch just yet, they've yet to officially announce catapults.  :wink:

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline Jaren

• Earl
  • Renown: 303
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: MB
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2015, 06:17:23 pm »
+1
If you can only be attacked during the day so you can't get robbed in the night, what will determine the exact hours of "daytime?" Would it strictly be timezone-related and have all battles occur during primetime (roughly 6-10, maybe)? Or is it literally any point in the day, so morning, afternoon, and early evening, allowing no-lifers to ruin anyone who has a 9-5 job?

Don't get your panties in a bunch just yet, they've yet to officially announce catapults.  :wink:

Don't you lie to me Jona! I'm pretty sure I saw at least one in one of the development videos!

That or I've been smoking far too much buttrock.

Offline BlackxBird

• Duke
  • Renown: 546
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Eques :3
  • Game nicks: Eques_Black_Bird, Black_Bird_I-X
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2015, 06:33:08 pm »
"No matter your level, at the end of the day it's still a question of your personal skill who will be triumphant in a combat situation."

So does that mean we get a similiar lvl system as in c-rpg? Never read something about the lvl-system in detail, sorry if it was mentioned before somewhere else, but yeah wanted to know more about that in detail.

I guess I read/watched everything they made 2 or 3 times and havent read about improving weapons and lvl system so far... Fucking curious  :shock:

Offline Dupre

• Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 825
  • Infamy: 149
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: DoV
  • Game nicks: Dupre, Sentri
  • IRC nick: Nashringa
« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2015, 07:02:46 pm »
+3
Will you need to physically log in to the game and physically 'see' these approaching armies? (basically, are we fucked if we're at work?)

Or is there some integrated browser-feature that allows you to monitor your holdings/prepare a defence remotely?

Companion mobile app would be a very nice feature for this ^. Fallout 4 has a pretty sweet one out now.
Steam: ajkretchmer

Offline Uther Pendragon

• King
  • Renown: 1253
  • Infamy: 133
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • EX Head of EU and NA admin teams
    • View Profile
    • Strategus Guide
  • Faction: Stromgarde
  • Game nicks: Uthyr Pendraeg, Uthyr, mr fucking dtv hero admin, Stromgarde_Uthyr_Pendraeg
  • IRC nick: Something along those lines above
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2015, 07:13:52 pm »
Having a game only run on player-created/looted/found goods could work, it worked out VERY nicely in EVE online (i fkin lovd it) but I guess it'll be different here. Still, looking forward for more info and eventually seeing it in practice :D
Nemo prudens punit, quia peccatum est, sed ne peccetur.
I (used to) manage character issues, reverting, restoring and fixing related mistakes and some other stuff. Feel free to message if you encounter a problem.
He's not the hero DTV deserves but he's the one they need.

Offline Thryn

• Meme Artisan
  • Game Admin (trial)
  • Renown: 1177
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook
  • buff 2h tbh
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Confederacy
  • Game nicks: Thryn
  • IRC nick: Black Bastards
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2015, 07:27:24 pm »
I refuse to buy the game if there are not anatomically correct (or MORE than correct...knawmean?) uncensored visible genitalia on day 1.

Male genitalia, anyway. Don't really care if you make a cooter model.

there also needs to be some stallion schlong for daruvian when (and if) he goes around horse ramming people

We may not love corrupt government, but we must love our country.

Offline Macropus

• King
  • Renown: 1668
  • Infamy: 296
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macropus
« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2015, 07:52:14 pm »
+5
Will we get to tame horses?  :rolleyes:

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2015, 09:47:10 pm »
Forgive me the crpg-narrowed viewpoint, but will the instant battles include different game modes or goals, with and without respawning? And more specific, will we have flags or similar in a normal Battle? The background is of course my memories of the bittersweet heroes-age in crpg. Would be great if you could invent some mechanic to get rid of the delayer problem without losing so much of the fun like currently in crpg with the flags. :)
Also have you already worked out how exactly you will earn gold or xp or what incentives there are to win the round? Probably all these questions have not such high priority right now...

As for the main game I take it we will have some kind of isometric or top down world map where you can move around or give orders to move not unlike warband or Strategus? Also I can't quite imagine how this 'familiy'- thing will actually be, like gameplay-wise. Do we have some menus where you can choose tasks for the members or will it be first person for each character or both?

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2015, 06:02:16 pm »
+10
Quote from: chadz
This is not a game for everyone

why?

The best games don't try to appeal to everyone.  You try to appeal to "everyone" (or as many people as possible) and you end up with a watered down game, that caters to the lowest common denominators.  Better to focus on the type of game you want to make, and make it as top notch as possible for that niche.   
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline MeevarTheMighty

• Count
  • Renown: 242
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • http://www.afp.gov.au/what-we-do/
  • Faction: RDP
  • Game nicks: Genemeve et al
« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2015, 12:02:05 am »
+2
On the other hand, are there really people in the world who don't like Age of Empires? :shock:

(which brings me to another question)

Is there still going to be a "stronghold" mode, or is the team going more for a single integrated experience?

(and here's one more for good luck)

If there's going to be some complicated server system, will it be simple and inexpensive enough for half-witted players to host mods with similar scope to the main game or are the mods we see likely to be more like M&B multi mods?

Offline MacX85

• Baron
  • Renown: 141
  • Infamy: 14
    • View Profile
    • 3D Portfolio
  • Game nicks: Siegbert
« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2015, 12:04:22 am »
On the other hand, are there really people in the world who don't like Age of Empires? :shock:

Sure

Offline Mancom37

• Knight
  • Renown: 34
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2015, 12:34:05 am »
Any gunpowder weaponry(handgonnes)/basic artillery (bombards mostly) are going to go in the game?
Viva El'Rei

Offline Byrdi

• Earl
  • Renown: 489
  • Infamy: 59
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Byrdi, Swiss Chocolate, and lots of other alts
  • IRC nick: Byrdi
« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2015, 12:47:17 am »
+6
You can conquer other towns, or raid them, or burn them down. Those battles are waged in whatever environment the players built, and now it's time to see if the castle design you figured out is up to the task of withstanding an attack.

First question(s): Have you thought about in which way you want to skew the offense-defense balance?
Will the battle generally be in the favour of the defender (as it were in most of the medieval times)? Or will you also have leaps and changes in technology influencing the balance between offensive and defensive power for a short time (e.g. the invention of gun powder that rendered medieval castles useless).

The offense-defense balance can have a huge implication on what kind of setup of factions you get (e.g. large steamrolling or small defensive factions) and thereby in the end what kind of game experience players will have.

I don't know if what I am asking makes sense. There is a whole sub-field of International Relations Theory that is dedicated to the study of the offense-defense balance and countless of historical accounts of how the offense-defense balance played a part in shaping Europe, so it is rather difficult to sum up.

Anyway since you are making a "complex social game about conflicts and decision" I would really recommend you to look up some of the social science literature on the subject.
I would recommend Norbert Elias' "Civilizing Process vol. II" (Über den Prozeß der Zivilisation) if you haven't read it already. This book seems to perfectly describe many of the aspects that the game is about in what I would call a historically "accurate" and game design ready way. Also the  some of "historical essays of Otto von Hintze" are quite relevant to some of the game mechanics you described.

I know and completely agree with your philosophy that "gameplay > realism" but in this case I think that real world accounts of how real people reacted to medieval culture, institutions, technology and such can prepare you for how contemporary computer gamers will react in the same situations.

Second question:
What role will marriage play in the game?

Sorry for being such a complete pretentious nerd though... but I can't help myself :D