Author Topic: Windows 10 rollout started...  (Read 12636 times)

Offline Dooz

• Duke
  • Renown: 674
  • Infamy: 165
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Horrible_Human
    • View Profile
    • Wasteland Fight Club
Re: Windows 10 rollout started...
« Reply #120 on: August 05, 2015, 07:48:43 pm »
But you already are in the n@zi party, you're just upset that there's another, smaller one somewhere else. It's called hypocrisy. Or, in this case, mass hysteria over nothing.

yeah, i'm not google. i'm a subject of the n@zi regime and have limited recourse of escape. meanwhile you're suggesting all parties merge into the n@zi party or adopt their practices, because hey that's how it is, right?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Turkhammer

• Earl
  • Renown: 376
  • Infamy: 194
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 05, 2015, 07:54:35 pm »
Made an USB-stick as upgrade device and using that way to upgrade right in this moment (checking for updates atm).
Haven't tried any of the previews, neither watched any of those videos. Going out on a limb now :D

Molly, how did you make the USB stick as an upgrade device?  Are there instructions and the opportunity to do it after downloading win 10 and while upgrading from win 7? 

I assume that with the USB stick you'll be able to reinstall win 10 if you build a new pc later on.

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #122 on: August 05, 2015, 09:09:00 pm »
+2
Molly, how did you make the USB stick as an upgrade device?  Are there instructions and the opportunity to do it after downloading win 10 and while upgrading from win 7? 

I assume that with the USB stick you'll be able to reinstall win 10 if you build a new pc later on.
I posted a link somewhere. You can download from MS a file, something with "Media Creation Installer" thing, which then downloads the image and creates a bootable usb device... or instantly starts the upgrade.
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

pogosan

« Reply #123 on: August 07, 2015, 07:45:57 pm »

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 07, 2015, 08:08:51 pm »
The point is, everyone is calling MS the devil and there's a shitstorm being raised by this scaremongering, whilst all that MS is doing is joining in on the whole personalized ads thing (and doing that mildly), that others have been doing for almost a decade now.

Erm, no. What we're doing is telling people not to "upgrade" to Windows 10. Or at least knowing full well they're giving up much control over their computer.

Offline darmaster

• King
  • Renown: 1398
  • Infamy: 297
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguards
  • Game nicks: Retsamrad
« Reply #125 on: August 07, 2015, 10:34:31 pm »
+1
Agree with kafein, my desktop background by default afyer the update is fishy

(click to show/hide)

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #126 on: August 07, 2015, 11:02:53 pm »
If they are going to adapt ads to what i enjoy fine, i wish spotify would do the same, fuckers play ads on everything but the music i enjoy.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline Andswaru

• Duke
  • Renown: 554
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • SeaRaider_
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen of Fenada / SeaRaiders
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Andswaru
« Reply #127 on: August 07, 2015, 11:11:08 pm »
Erm, no. What we're doing is telling people not to "upgrade" to Windows 10. Or at least knowing full well they're giving up much control over their computer.

The moment the average person opens his internet browser they dont realise that whichever search engine they use collects their data.They are definately the lesser of 2 evils when put inside the same galaxy as google.
Smooth is the admin NA deserves. Not being that much better, EU deserves Thomek.
[18:25] <@chadz> soon(tm)

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 08, 2015, 12:46:47 am »
The moment the average person opens his internet browser they dont realise that whichever search engine they use collects their data.They are definately the lesser of 2 evils when put inside the same galaxy as google.

I won't comment on that. It seems to me that Windows 10 has serious problems not related to privacy as well.

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #129 on: August 08, 2015, 02:18:55 am »
I was skeptical because of Windows 8, but after trying it it seems a solid OS with a couple quirks. Definitely worth the upgrade.

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 08, 2015, 09:01:25 am »
But Google is masterrace.

I wish Google bought Microsoft, Apple, Disney, McDonalds, Coca Cola and Warner Bros (+ DC ) + Sony + Nintendo

I say "fuck Google!" outloud almost daily in my real life. So much BS from that company nowadays. They are worse than Microsoft ever was with how they have been cutting everyone else out of the Googleverse of apps, clients, Youtube, etc. God only knows how much data they've accumulated on everyone while people are too busy bitching about the NSA and illegal wiretapping while Google is probably selling people's identity straight to the Chinese and Russians for profit. If anyone is going to fuck up humanity with some Skynet bullshit it'll be them.

Also I've been using Windows 10 for months in the Insider program. Pro OS. If you have any compatibily problems on Steam be sure to verify your game's cache and reinstall DirectX 9.0C June 2010 or w/e is the newest. Shogun 2 requires compatibility mode to run DX11 but I've had no other issues.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 09:04:33 am by Smoothrich »
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #131 on: August 08, 2015, 09:18:52 am »
I was skeptical because of Windows 8, but after trying it it seems a solid OS with a couple quirks. Definitely worth the upgrade.
The 2 separate system control panels are one of those quirks... freaking annoying.
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline kwhy

• Earl
  • Renown: 302
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
  • trash
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ted_the_garbage_man, missANGY, missBENDaKNEE, missAGAIN, Moove, Fallback, LLpewJ, Lets_ride_bikes
« Reply #132 on: August 09, 2015, 09:25:18 pm »
The 2 separate system control panels are one of those quirks... freaking annoying.

yeah I don't like this whole sub divide between apps and programs and the varying control panels or *app menus*.   It is like MS has dumbed down the OS (started with 8) with simpler menus and then left off any of the really important items you need access to which is hidden away on the control panel and other various older menus.   For example Windows update has been removed from the control panel in win 10 now and you have to use the *app* settings menu now I think.

The only good thing about win 10 is now those menus aren't full screen at least.

I loaded up my surface pro and another tablet from 8.1 to 10 and it was fairly quick since the files were all downloaded.  It probably took about 20-30 mins to load up then you have to spend time *fine tuning* or turning off all the privacy crap. 

I don't need Cortana and don't care to search the web from my start bar, don't need edge, don't care for any of the standard apps ect.  I already have a virtual desktop switcher, but that is probably the only big innovation IMO.

One annoyance was my Start Menu from 8.1 was erased which consisted of a lot of shortcuts to programs and other network drives.  So I will need to rebuild that.

The new start Menu is better not being fullscreen, but I rarely even used that in the first place.

Some simple things like being able to easily slide the brightness from the charm is now gone in win 10 and you have to either use the set intervals or load up the settings panel is a step back.  On a tablet I don't like the location of the keyboard
icon on the taskbar to activate it (not sure that cant be moved)

I don't know if I'm going to load up win 10 on my gaming machine yet.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1146
  • Infamy: 2160
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 14, 2015, 03:42:31 pm »
Google and others do it: no reaction
Microsoft does it: omg, evil, nazi, hitler, you can't do it just because others do it
Google and others do it even more: no reaction

Yep.

Google does it in subtle way, analyzing big data and making profiles for each of us.

This...

is more KGB style.Not surprised though, Microsoft were never known for being subtle. They represent lumberjack or butcher in world of software, they even had one to physically represent them for years.

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #134 on: August 14, 2015, 04:55:54 pm »
lmao that info is so fake that not even Stallman could keep a straight face while reading it