Author Topic: Fallout 4  (Read 89267 times)

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4
« Reply #795 on: November 16, 2015, 10:31:46 pm »
Here we go, our hero Higby Nanites (don't ask, Planetside stuff) in glorious 1440p:

(click to show/hide)

As you can see he looks very intelligent and has a fitting choice of weaponry. His stats are 8, 5, 7, 1, 1, 4, 5 right now, level 17 on Hard difficulty. House rule is to never improve charisma or intelligence. One thing that bothers me is that I could be locking myself out of quests that require hacking advanced terminals. Of course, I invested in the Idiot Savant perk. That thing is simultaneously overpowered and extremely obnoxious as it produces a loud annoying noise every time it triggers. Combat is very easy except *some* of the red skulls. Then in the worst case I can always cheese with geometry. "Hardest" (more like most tedious) kill yet was the boss at the elementary school with pink food paste, "glowing one" or something like that. That thing ate through half my ammo reserves.

(click to show/hide)

To be honest in real situations I do use the combat rifle more than the Tor Hammer. That thing shatters enemies that have a level close to mine though. Hence the ammo conservation.

None of my settlements have been attacked yet, and I have almost 10 now, none of which have any kind of security bar Sanctuary. It seems Preston admires me in a very gay way but as soon as making advances became a choice I dumped him for Piper kek.

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #796 on: November 16, 2015, 11:50:35 pm »
+1
On the other hand, you're actively looking for ways to break difficulty and to do things the most optimal way, researching things and doing calculations etc -- then you're surprised the game becomes easy.

It's like that even if you just play.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: November 16, 2015, 11:57:30 pm »
+1
In Fallout 4, certainly, but that's what Banok does in every game. He appears in a thread showing his mad calculations and links to other forums/reddit where he has long pondered how to break the game mechanics, then a week later he complains about the difficulty.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: November 17, 2015, 12:13:09 am »
I'm constantly running out of ammo. I prefer not to use VATS because it feels like cheating, so I always have to use more ammo than what they drop - most of the corpses have no ammo, those that do have like 6-8 ammo maximum. I have like 7 different guns I rotate through just so I can use up all the different ammo types. Kind of annoying, since ammo is expensive as fuck. My luck is at 1, is that why?
A melee weapon backup really helps conserve ammo. I have the same issue with ammo as I only use 10mm and energy cells, and visiting markets all the time is pretty annoying. Besides my 10mm and laser pistol I have a ripper that is very effective, especially against ghouls.

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: November 17, 2015, 12:23:49 am »
I'm constantly running out of ammo. I prefer not to use VATS because it feels like cheating, so I always have to use more ammo than what they drop - most of the corpses have no ammo, those that do have like 6-8 ammo maximum. I have like 7 different guns I rotate through just so I can use up all the different ammo types. Kind of annoying, since ammo is expensive as fuck. My luck is at 1, is that why?

Get the ammunition finder perk or whatever its called. Collect absolutely everything from everywhere. Use 2 types of weapons to concerve ammo, buy ammo from the money you got from selling the ammunition you did not use. Worked rather well for me. And I finished the game with using nothing but a 10mm and a laser rifle at some rare times. Thou in my case the sneak silencerbuild was a major help in conserving ammo. Firing 100 bullets at an enemy with a weaker gun rather than just selling that 100 bullets to buy bullets for a stronger weapon that could do it with 5 shots is logically not a very solid move. :lol:

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: November 17, 2015, 01:57:31 am »

Knowing you're an engineer (I mean, I don't know if you have the title or if that can even apply to Italians, whatever), doesn't really surprise me. I actively have to fight against my impulses to try and optimize things in order to enjoy those kinds of games. Playing it efficiently merely makes it tedious, gamey and bland. I prefer to act like an idiot on purpose/make house rules and play at a lower difficulty rather than encounter enemies with artificially boosted HP at no improvement in gameplay. Also keeping the save scumming to an absolute minimum.

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #801 on: November 17, 2015, 03:57:27 am »
+1
Knowing you're an engineer (I mean, I don't know if you have the title or if that can even apply to Italians, whatever), doesn't really surprise me. I actively have to fight against my impulses to try and optimize things in order to enjoy those kinds of games.

I don't, I go for looks over stats most of the time.

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: November 17, 2015, 05:53:41 am »
In Fallout 4, certainly, but that's what Banok does in every game. He appears in a thread showing his mad calculations and links to other forums/reddit where he has long pondered how to break the game mechanics, then a week later he complains about the difficulty.

Both true  :(

Offline Mr_Oujamaflip

• Earl
  • Renown: 322
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Ouj Reviews!
« Reply #803 on: November 17, 2015, 10:02:16 am »
Son...

Disappoint...

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: November 17, 2015, 10:39:36 am »
Get the ammunition finder perk or whatever its called. Collect absolutely everything from everywhere. Use 2 types of weapons to concerve ammo, buy ammo from the money you got from selling the ammunition you did not use. Worked rather well for me. And I finished the game with using nothing but a 10mm and a laser rifle at some rare times. Thou in my case the sneak silencerbuild was a major help in conserving ammo. Firing 100 bullets at an enemy with a weaker gun rather than just selling that 100 bullets to buy bullets for a stronger weapon that could do it with 5 shots is logically not a very solid move. :lol:

I switched to using the hand cannon Kellog drops, that shit shoots slow but hits like a tank (I have 3 points in nonautomatic pistols perk or whatever it is). Far better for ammo. I think my main problem was that I used automatic guns, low damage and lots of bullets wasted... nice balance bethesda

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: November 17, 2015, 03:36:19 pm »
The mouse always finds the shortest path to the cheese.

I found out early on in Dark Souls that Sorcery was OP as fuck. The graph became an even more dramatic decline in difficulty than Witcher 3 Deathmarch as I cheesed every boss/mini-boss and grunt safely from a distance with ridiculously strong Soul Spears, and 2-shot Gwyn before he could hit me. Thus ended my first playthrough of Dark Souls.

Learning the optimal path in any game makes it too easy past a certain point.

Ranged/magic is just overall cheatmode for Dark Souls series. It's too bad, because I reckon you already knew boss attacks on your next replay (hopefully melee)..

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: November 17, 2015, 04:05:43 pm »
Well... truth be told character 0 got stuck in the Great Hollow/Ash Lake before I had the Lordvessel to warp. After 20 minutes of trying to get past an invisible wall and googling the issue I gave up and made my sorcerer... character 1.

Means I did get to enjoy being terrified in the early game before discovering easy-mode. But that's the point, a lot of games have something similar that you can do build-wise/tactics-wise to completely obliterate the difficulty.

Well, Dark Souls also has that other part of community that try to make the game as difficult as possible for themselves, like kitchen ladle naked runs and other such silly builds.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 519
  • Infamy: 395
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: November 17, 2015, 05:28:05 pm »
+9
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: November 17, 2015, 05:33:17 pm »
Well thats just playing it wrong in that case. I quested almost 90% of the time. I took the lone wanderer perk and barely did anything in the settlement. Picked and robbed every house and guy possible on my quests. Its kinda like MGSV. You dont have to grind THAT much, if you picked up everything while on the way. Unless you went too overboard or were or too impatient.

Offline Daunt_Flockula

• Marshall
  • Renown: 870
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
  • Step aside peasants!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Pixel Paladins
  • Game nicks: Cock_Blockula Kunt_Blockula Daunt_Flockula
« Reply #809 on: November 17, 2015, 05:40:41 pm »
Salvaging kind of gives all the junk lying around a purpose. If only it wasn't such a tedious task to find what you specifically need. Just like the comic strip says, most of the time you don't get the stuff you expect to come out of a specific item. I would also be happy if they removed the weight of all that junk, just like CDPR did in Witcher 3 for crafting items.