Author Topic: Game balance suggestions  (Read 1157 times)

Offline Soldier_of_God

• Count
  • Renown: 159
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sir_Tristan, Archerfaggotry, Sir_Edward
Game balance suggestions
« on: January 08, 2011, 10:58:40 pm »
i will start with pros/cons of the new build.

pros:

-more Gold
-more Experience
-faster leveling
-stronger teamplay required
-less tanks/calvary/uberpeople

cons:

- team attacks are unpunished
- no combat bonuses
- team kills are unpunished
- one loss erases multiplier
- gangbanging

solutions for cons:

1.) Team attacks/kills unpunished

some servers will have mirror damage or insta-kill - but that does nothing to help the team does it?
i suggest the old system of gold and xp loss with a twist. x2 level of killed in gold + another 0, same for xp.

example: murdered a 20 level warrior = 400 gold lost, 400 xp lost.

this way, people will be cautious who they kill, particularly a team paragon or something. accountability is a very
good team tactics builder. consequence = better behavior. that, and it will not effect level as bad as the pocket; which
is really where it hurts anyway :P

2.) no combat bonuses

this is a tricky one. if you give bonuses people go rambo. if you don't good players aren't really rewarded.
x2 level to gold, and  x1 level add another 0 at the end for xp.  for a level 20 warrior killed, 40 gold, and 200 xp.

not bad, but nothing worth sticking your neck out for.

a reasonable compromise for the skilled. if someone managed
to kill 10 of these guys it would amount to 400 gold and 2000 xp... still reasonable for the skill exerted, and the teamplay
that usually is required.

3.) one loss erases multiplier

based on performance of round, every 2 kills = 1 point of multiplier taken off round losses... kills per round of course.
so if someone killed 10 that round, they would keep their bonus. 2-4 you would still have x2 or x3. makes the
good players suffer less from losses, and motivates the losers to... start winning : )

4.) gangbanging is very natural to the human mind. you see one threat. 1v1 either you run or fight. 2v1 you feel more
confident about fighting. 3v1 you feel invincible.
the opposite is also true. this natural play of events prevents ramboing, and effects "morale" of the team. there really is
nothing that can be done, nor should be done.

thats my take on it, hopefully people will listen. it sure would make the mod better.

Offline RandomDude

• Earl
  • Renown: 431
  • Infamy: 43
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • I play now! but I suck =(
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: RandomDude
  • IRC nick: RandomDude
Re: Game balance suggestions
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 07:10:25 pm »
They could bring back teamkill punishments with no bad effects for anything else i think. I dont think level should be a factor, u should lose 1k xp and 100 gold per team kill, something like that

A good player doing his thing will help bring around a victory (keeping your x5 or increasing your multiplier) which is a reward in itself, for me

If losing only reduced your multiplier by 1 then i think the rewards per minute would be reduced to compensate for this, which is what i dont want

Offline Soldier_of_God

• Count
  • Renown: 159
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sir_Tristan, Archerfaggotry, Sir_Edward
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 07:09:52 am »
I think that ranked penalties would be more fair; killing the team tincan should and does usually have a hefty price, whereas an annoying pitchfork peasant gets whacked... hes a peasant :P

as far as the multiplier, just to clarify, in order to NOT lose the multiplier bonus on losing... you would have to make 10 kills THAT ROUND. this way, good players are rewarded, and average players (2to1) dont get the short end of the stick...

10+ kills losing round = no multiplier change
8+ kills losing round = -1
6+ kills losing round = -2
4+ kills losing round = -3
2+ kills losing round = -4
0+ kills losing round = full penalty.

and you see, this would only REALLY be helpful to people with an x4 or x5 bonus, so for most people, this would encourage greater teamplay, and would reward them for performance.

note that kills do NOT give bonuses in my suggestion, they merely DEDUCT from a PENALTY.

Offline AvengerC47

• Knight
  • Renown: 53
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Guerra, guerra nunca cambia
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
  • Game nicks: c47
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 10:50:03 am »
pros:
-less tanks/calvary/uberpeople

3.) one loss erases multiplier

based on performance of round, every 2 kills = 1 point of multiplier taken off round losses... kills per round of course.
so if someone killed 10 that round, they would keep their bonus. 2-4 you would still have x2 or x3. makes the
good players suffer less from losses, and motivates the losers to... start winning : )
after that there will be more tanks/cavalry etc. because they will have more chances to earn more money than they will lose

I like your 1) and 2) ideas
Guerra, guerra nunca cambia

Sorry for my bad english :d

Offline Vygar

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vygar_PxC, Divinicus_PxC, Tegashi_PxC
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 05:32:21 pm »
Placing a reward for personal performance isn't fitting for this mod primarily considering that every player's character is at varying degrees of development.  A new character or player will be placed at a disadvantage (read: penalized) simply for being new.  Rewarding team effort is far better than rewarding individual effort as even the newest player can make themselves useful when trying to work with others.

Offline AvengerC47

• Knight
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Guerra, guerra nunca cambia
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
  • Game nicks: c47
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 06:49:20 pm »
but if I'm good and being in bad team how can I earn some money when they will lose every time?
I can't have even only my xbow + bolts (naked) to earn enaught money to pay upkeep

Peasants don't need much money, only higher lvl players do

it will be better when we will have money earned by a team and a little more earned by ourself
Guerra, guerra nunca cambia

Sorry for my bad english :d

Offline Paprik

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 07:28:53 pm »
The thing with boosting people with good K/D ratio is that kills have often zero information value in siege mode - defense usually gets a lot more kills (or at least less deaths cause of the respawn timer) and a key player might be the one cleverly placing ladders, crushing doors, teamplaying or whatever, not the one with more kills.

Like you said though, some people (including me) feel a lack of motivation. Either cause of the upkeep, or for not being able to influence the round result at all - let's be honest, there's times I play like shit, yet I get 5x modifier, other times I play good and stay on the losing team for 4+ consecutive rounds.

Also there's not really that much to do with gold if you actually manage to earn some. You get your best gear (which you might not end up wearing cause of upkeep) and then what? Sure you can waste some of the money by equipping your "best" stuff, but with everyone being in light armor, there's no point in having heavy armor as you'll get outspammed every time. So best weapon is all you really need.

Something could be done about the modifiers though. Maybe making them half ifluenced by K/D ratio, half influenced by the team round result. Maybe have separate modifiers for both, I don't know. But I've seen players like Ozwan leave cause of losing every single round (therefore serious amounts of $$ and less xp) while having K/D > 10.

Offline Chasab

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 07:31:12 pm »
for TK and team damage, why isnt it made so that if you attack a teamate your teamate takes zero damage, but you get the full damage you caused?

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Opium.dk

• Knight
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen Of Fenada
  • Game nicks: Opiumdk
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 08:58:11 pm »
for TK and team damage, why isnt it made so that if you attack a teamate your teamate takes zero damage, but you get the full damage you caused?

Because that would be gay.

This is war son, blue on blue happens.
(click to show/hide)