Author Topic: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (3ds)  (Read 4944 times)

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (3ds)
« on: January 15, 2015, 05:20:24 pm »
+5
(click to show/hide)

Anyone hunters here getting their 3ds's ready? could use some peeps to hunt with. Release is 13 feb, probably going to be getting it on release.

This one's only on 3ds, kind of a shame but i managed to get my 2ds(3ds just without the 3d function) for like 50€ so i got a good deal out of it.

Never will you feel as satisfied killing a massive beast as in any of the monster hunter games.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline TheAppleSauceMan

• Duke
  • Renown: 553
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • dear god I hate throwers
    • View Profile
    • Look and you'll enjoy.
  • Faction: Dracul, RUFF RYDERS
  • Game nicks: Dracul_AppleSauce_FieldBauss | Wiff Khalifa | U_Having_A_Giggle_M8
Re: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (3ds)
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 09:28:50 pm »
Probably gonna pre-order it. Will be my first Monster Hunter game though.
I'm rock, nerf paper, scissors is fine. Welcome to c-RPG.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 05:11:26 pm »
Changes so far seem to be:
-More vertical combat, you can climb more around in the area and bosses are adapted to this. Could change things up quite a bit.

-New weapons which are 1. Insect glaive, spawns a bug that attacks with you and buffs you when called back. Sounds neat.
 2. Charge blade which is a sword and shield that can be changed into an axe, like Switch axe but instead of being switched into a kind of greatsword its a sword and shield. Could also be fun, i was rolling the switch axe quite a bit in 3.

-Most monsters any Monster hunter game has had, sitting nicely at a total of 96 different monsters.

-Addition of online, which 3u on ds didnt have. Im hoping and thinking this will be a monster hunter game that will bring more western audiences into the game because this niche game just hasnt really reached out much here yet while in japan its massive.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 10:21:18 pm »
I actually want a 3ds right now

majora's mask
pokemanz

those fire emblem games look like might actually be good too, I like me some permadeath.

but even if I bought one can't see myself paying £30 for games. just not conscionable to me anymore. I wonder hows hard 3ds piracy is...

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 10:52:01 pm »
The console definitely has a lot of good games, its niche part, the 3d thing, is just a waste tbh. Be on the lookout for 2ds's because they can drop pretty cheap like i mentioned, got mine for 50€ while a regular 3ds costs like 150+.

Offline TheAppleSauceMan

• Duke
  • Renown: 553
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • dear god I hate throwers
    • View Profile
    • Look and you'll enjoy.
  • Faction: Dracul, RUFF RYDERS
  • Game nicks: Dracul_AppleSauce_FieldBauss | Wiff Khalifa | U_Having_A_Giggle_M8
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 11:14:15 pm »
Dropped the full 200 on the 3DS but it's easily been worth it so far. Great little toy for when I don't have access to my desktop or I'm lounging on the couch. Or for when I need something else to do while I grind some game on my desktop (looking at you Life is Feudal).

Really need to get Fire Emblem, still backtracked on Pokemon and Bravely Default though. Not enough time!
I'm rock, nerf paper, scissors is fine. Welcome to c-RPG.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2015, 02:30:22 am »
+1
Going to continue my adventures in MH3U while waiting.

Still have to beat this

Probably my favourite monster in MH so far, a dark lazor shooting t-rex that eats anything. And he doesnt even care if he's not the main monster being hunted, sometimes he'll just pop in on a random hunting quest because he does as he pleases. Also he eats everything, when he's hungry he will eat any food placed and if that isnt an option then he will eat his own chopped off tail or the player..

Just fighting whatever monster you set out to fight, suddenly a new theme starts
, hmm well this is odd- OH GOD NO!

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
  • Renown: 446
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SeQueL
  • IRC nick: SeQueL
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2015, 08:41:33 pm »
+1
Monster Hunter threads just make me depressed since I can't play them. Fuck Capcom and their stupid platform choices.

Offline Tennenoth

• Marshall
  • Renown: 818
  • Infamy: 85
  • "Bloody peasant archers!"
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Head)
  • Game nicks: Guard_Tenne; Guard_The_Biscuits; Guard_Bugden; Guard_Tennenuff
  • IRC nick: Tennenoth
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2015, 01:53:47 pm »
+1
Recently got a 3DS at Christmas time in preparation for work, got monster hunter 3 free because I bought Pokemon separately, alongside the console itself and have enjoyed it a lot, I was surprised at the different games that were actually around for the console, over the last two weeks its practically replaced my desktop since I'm not home all the time anymore. I will probably wait until the price drops a little or at least until I finish my backlog of games... Still slowly working my way through Fire Emblem: Awakening during my lunch breaks (which for those talking about it is a great game, really nice strategy elements, a little reminiscent of Final Fantasy Tactics if anyone played that.)

Also been playing Bravely Default, although my lack of actual time has meant that I have completed the building of Norende but still haven't done all the temples.

Banok - Unfortunately/Fortunately depending on perspective, from my understanding, the piracy has gotten harder, you're probably aware of the R4 that made stuff for the original DS really easy to get hold of, but I read that they made sure that wasn't possible to do with the 3DS. Although there is a direct SD card slot, there might be some software that can run, similar to a jailbreak on a phone possibly, instead of a cartridge that runs? I haven't researched it if I am honest, but I have no doubt that somewhere, someone is working on something like that, if not having already succeeded, if you're that way inclined.

BullDog Clan member since 31/08/2010 / Caravan Guild member since 03/08/2010

How to understand what I say.
Always finish your tea and biscuits regardless of how terrible they are

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2015, 03:01:49 pm »
As far as handhelds go the 3ds probably has the best library of games so far. PSVita failed because it didnt manage to get enough games, even though the hardware is better. I've heard zotte endlessly telling me that i should try fire emblem, is it worth while? Something tells me it would be too slow and id drop it before getting anywhere close to the end..
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 03:08:35 pm by Gravoth_iii »

Offline Tennenoth

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2015, 05:43:04 pm »
+1
Err, depends, you can skip all cut scenes etc, you don't have to do perma-death and you can ignore a lot of the randomly spawned enemies alongside any other players that show up if you have set up street pass and there are various speed changes you can do for the combat, e.g. you can skip the entire enemy & allied turns if you don't care what they're doing, you can stop the fight cut scenes too and just have the output show up instantly or you could simply just speed things up.

The game itself so far, not including my failures has taken me 18 and a half hours on hard (non perma-death) having attacked everything that has spawned, including side quests. I've found it great for drop in, drop out type game play, doing a fight or two then putting it down as the story conversations aren't that long, you really aren't left waiting for things to move on.

Zotte's recommendations are right the majority of the time, but if his recommendation is unconvincing, I shall add mine to his as well.

Offline SirCymro_Crusader

• King
  • Renown: 1095
  • Infamy: 134
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2015, 06:58:28 pm »
I remember playing the first monster hunter on ps2 or psp (can't remember exactly) loved it but had no clue how it worked so I never got far haha.

As for final fantasy tactics that has to be my all time favourite game

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2015, 11:21:33 am »

Closing in on the release, here's some gameplay anyways. The use of different levels in the maps seems to be very well done. No longer just flat areas with more or less tight corridors.

Offline Tennenoth

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2015, 07:25:10 pm »
+2
Been playing it almost every free second I have since release day, the movement feels so much smoother and I was not a fan of the underwater mechanics of MH3U so I'm enjoying the fighting much more being able to dart about much faster.

If anyone fancies doing some multiplayer at some stage (those who got themselves a copy) I'd be up for a bit of monster murder on the weekends. :)

Currently trying out weapons and such like - more or less settled on the charge blade, just feels like it has the right balance of movement & power for my terrible skill level. Really quite low still though. The addition of the expeditions as well is brilliant, enjoying learning all the various things in there too.

Not really got any gripes about it either, maybe a little irritated with some of the monster's attacks but that's just a case of getting used to how to avoid them.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2015, 07:34:42 pm »
+1
(click to show/hide)

Awesome, im up for playing anytime. Currently pretty low since i just got the game on friday and ive been sick all weekend. I also disliked the underwater and them kind of replacing it with layered levels and jumping attacks is way way better implemented and smoother. So far i got to say, all the reused monsters from previous games feel very fresh with new movesets.

Currently lancing my way through, 4star solo quests atm, probably going to play all day tomorrow so ill get quite a bit higher.

Friendcode is: 0018-2610-9326