Author Topic: Bike culture?  (Read 5400 times)

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Bike culture?
« on: December 03, 2014, 06:30:37 pm »
+3
I come from a country where cycling is an integral part of our lives from childhood and through adulthood. Only 12% of our population drive a car to work in the capital, despite Denmark being one of the world's richest countries. Bicycles are to Danes what skis are to our Norwegian and Swedish brothers and sisters, they are healthy, non-polluting, cheap and practical. I know the Dutch love their bikes, too, but apparently we North Europeans are somewhat an anomaly among Western nations. I'm curious as to the role of bikes in other nations represented on this forum?

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Bike culture?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 06:43:54 pm »
Being Dutch I couldn't imagine what my life or our cities would look like without bicycles. It's like 4 times faster than walking and in cities they are usually faster than buses too, not to mention way more flexible. All the way from being like 4 years old until when I will have an income high enough to sustain a car, it is an integral part of how I get around and probably after that for short distances or city life.

What do people do without a bycicle when they want to visit a friend who lives 3 km away in a city, walk?

Offline Daunt_Flockula

• Marshall
  • Renown: 870
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
  • Step aside peasants!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Pixel Paladins
  • Game nicks: Cock_Blockula Kunt_Blockula Daunt_Flockula
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 06:44:20 pm »
+2
Reporting from Turkey: Every little piece of shit and their mother drives a fucking car here.

Offline Swaggart

• Earl
  • Renown: 481
  • Infamy: 92
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 06:44:49 pm »
+3
I'm curious as to the role of bikes in other nations represented on this forum?

Speed bumps.

Offline Moncho

• King
  • Renown: 1127
  • Infamy: 221
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Moncho, Some_Random_STF, Some_Random_Troll
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 06:47:30 pm »
+1
It may be alright in Northern countries, but in Southern ones like Spain there is just no point, since in the summer it's hot so you start sweating too soon, so it is not practical. Plus, drivers and road planners seem to go out of their way to make cyclists life a misery (while cyclists themselves often behave irresponsibly and cycle around like retards)...
As an example in a village near where I used to live (La Nucia) a brand new cycle path was made just a few years ago, but it was so horrendously done that there are traffic signs, bus stops, parked cars and bunches of other obstacles in the way, so if someone dares take the bike they prefer to go on the road with the cars rather than having to stop every few meters and dodge an obstacle: eg the green thing is a bike path, and please tell me where on earth you can fit a bike through there...

(click to show/hide)

What do people do without a bycicle when they want to visit a friend who lives 3 km away in a city, walk?
Car, public transport, maybe walk.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 06:53:23 pm »
People on bikes are pretty nuts though, going past you at 50km/h where a slight step to the side woulde made them run into you. Bicycles are nice sure, but the ones riding them can be fucking crazy. Fuck bikes.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Angantyr

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 07:00:09 pm »
I've heard other Swedes among my friends say exactly the same, interestingly enough. Perhaps it is due to your hilly and mountainous terrain.

Denmark and the Netherlands are near completely flat   :wink:
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 07:04:37 pm by Angantyr »

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 07:10:59 pm »
+1
People on bikes are pretty nuts though, going past you at 50km/h where a slight step to the side woulde made them run into you. Bicycles are nice sure, but the ones riding them can be fucking crazy. Fuck bikes.
Well, in Dutchland and I presume Daneland too, many roads have a bike path seperated from the main road with lines at least. These are considered roads as much as real roads and pedestrians know not to walk on them without looking both ways. 50 km/h is pretty fast though, even for a racing bike. I presume we are mostly discussing basic utility bikes, which average like 20 km/h. Or 30 km/h if you are always in a rush like me.

Moncho, that bike path does look absolutely retarded. Bicycles get much more useful and safe if they are considered in the road design.

Offline Angantyr

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 07:31:43 pm »
Don't you have seperated lanes for bikes in Sweden, Gravoth? I've actually never thought to look when visiting.

Offline ThePoopy

• Earl
  • Renown: 411
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • .l..
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templar
  • Game nicks: PolePoop
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2014, 08:26:02 pm »
most swedish cyclist are 40year guys in full gay suit on 3000€ speed bikes

Offline Wiltzu

• Sceptical
  • Duke
  • Renown: 665
  • Infamy: 231
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmar Union
  • Game nicks: Kalmarin_Wiltzu
  • IRC nick: Wiltzu
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2014, 08:54:01 pm »
+1
http://vimeo.com/109273337

I fucking hate cyclists...
When in Rome, live as the Romans do; when elsewhere, live as they live elsewhere.

Kaikki on tasa-arvoisia. Toiset on vain tasa-arvoisempia kuin toiset.

Offline lombardsoup

• Earl
  • Renown: 387
  • Infamy: 222
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2014, 09:32:40 pm »
+1

This, they need to stay in the fucking bike lane and get out of my (and everyone elses) way

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2014, 09:44:18 pm »
+1

Yes, because it was the cyclists fault here right and not the car that almost ran him over AT A CROSSING?

Offline lombardsoup

• Earl
  • Renown: 387
  • Infamy: 222
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2014, 09:48:36 pm »
+1
Yes, because it was the cyclists fault here right and not the car that almost ran him over AT A CROSSING?

Poor judgement on the part of the cyclist (and the gigglin + finger would have earned him vehicular manslaughter from me)

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2014, 09:49:12 pm »
Don't you have seperated lanes for bikes in Sweden, Gravoth? I've actually never thought to look when visiting.

I'm pretty sure we dont, atleast not in my small city and i doubt the bigger has it either. Sidewalks are for both cyclists and walking my old friendets.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA