Author Topic: THE anime thread  (Read 145382 times)

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1864
  • Infamy: 305
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
Re: THE anime thread
« Reply #1470 on: July 10, 2019, 01:11:45 am »
I had a blast with first 50 episodes of Gintama, later they loose the edge and jokes become a bit stale (kind of like Simpsons and South Park). Stopped watching at episodes 150 something. Jokes are mostly universal although many of them are based on Japanese culture and of course sources from manga/anime. Gintama does make a lot of fun by referencing Bleach so if you haven't seen Bleach then you won't get it. Also other typical shounen manga/anime are made fun of quite often.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1562
  • Infamy: 2021
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: July 17, 2019, 02:35:28 am »
Enen no Shouboutai - led by decent score on MAL I have given this a chance and it is utter crap based on first episode, not a single interesting moment in entire episode.
Dr. Stone -  seemed decent during first episode, did peak my interest. Second is not very good tho and could not suspend my disbelief when dude punched a lion... bellow average it seems
Demon Slayer - started strong but turned to shit, bellow average
Bodybuilding anime - not bad as initially expected but not great either

So I have been let down by this anime season UNTIL

Vinland Saga - top quality anime, finally something decent to look forward to

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: July 17, 2019, 09:24:57 am »
+1
Enen no Shouboutai - led by decent score on MAL I have given this a chance and it is utter crap based on first episode, not a single interesting moment in entire episode.
Dr. Stone -  seemed decent during first episode, did peak my interest. Second is not very good tho and could not suspend my disbelief when dude punched a lion... bellow average it seems
Demon Slayer - started strong but turned to shit, bellow average
Bodybuilding anime - not bad as initially expected but not great either

So I have been let down by this anime season UNTIL

Vinland Saga - top quality anime, finally something decent to look forward to

Agreed. All three Enen no Shouboutai, Dr. Stone and Demon Slayer are average at best, Enen and Stone I still have hope that it could turn out good since we're only on ep 2, no such hope for Demon Slayer though. Didn't watch Bodybuilding anime. Vinland Saga is great and it's been so long since I've read the first chapters I pretty much forgot everything.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1042
  • Infamy: 1778
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: July 18, 2019, 10:34:33 pm »
After watching first episode I went to MAL forums to see why people think Fire Force is decent anime and:

(click to show/hide)

Only good thing about Dr Stone imho is revival of civilization aspect, you know like the only good thing about entire survival video game genre. Chop wood to build this, dig ore to turn it into metal etc. Other than that Dr Stone is terrible. Main character has alright personality but the way he is drawn makes him look stupid. Other two characters are annoying imo.

Latest Demon Slayer episode is all about characters and while they are not terrible, I am kinda interested into where main story is taking us. Basic idea is good but realization is bad, it is way too slow pacing. Like they are planning to milk it for 200 episodes, even tho they will probably have to can it after first season.

All three anime I mentioned are kind of work someone puts to meet deadlines and earn salary. And I am not the one who is so into anime to bother watching fodder, cookie cutter shows without any outstanding qualities about them.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: July 19, 2019, 12:16:25 am »
Yeah I'm digging the setup of Dr. Stone, not so much the execution, so far at least.

Offline njames89

• the Old Leaf
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1488
  • Infamy: 457
  • cRPG Player
  • Deus vult, Dieu le veut, God wills it!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kingdom of Acre, The Holy Chadzian Empire
  • Game nicks: King James IV, John IV, Temujin of the Wolves, William III
« Reply #1475 on: July 22, 2019, 12:53:06 pm »
Started watching Neon Genesis Evangelion yesterday and i have a few questions:

1)am I a weeb now?

and

2) is this show good?

First three episodes seemed entertaining

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 869
  • Infamy: 66
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: July 23, 2019, 05:20:18 am »
1. no. u need to adore everything japanese to become a weeb
2. no. its depressive  and craptacular with ending full of shit

nge was different when it came out and got high praise from critics because of that. but it sux, it truly does. most overated anime imo, next in line is this crap called atack on titan. at least aot and death note have one good season, nge is never good.

if u dig fights, better watch bleach or something. its dumb but interesting.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: July 23, 2019, 01:34:00 pm »
1. no. u need to adore everything japanese to become a weeb
2. no. its depressive  and craptacular with ending full of shit

nge was different when it came out and got high praise from critics because of that. but it sux, it truly does. most overated anime imo, next in line is this crap called atack on titan. at least aot and death note have one good season, nge is never good.

if u dig fights, better watch bleach or something. its dumb but interesting.

Oh whooh, I was starting to worry why I agree on everything with Leshma. NGE is overrated, what the fuck is that shit anime even? Disagree on Attack on Titan though, last season was amazing.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 204
  • Infamy: 1296
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: July 24, 2019, 01:18:07 am »
Problem with AoT, spoiled that shit by reading manga after the end of first season. Is only amazing if you don't know whats coming. Between first season and now is whole lot of nothing, topical wastern tv show receipt. Spoiled Promised Neverland a bit as well. Will not stop me enjoying seasons to come.

AoT has that kind of grandiose story, way bigger than characters themselves which imo suffocated them to the point they are all expendable grunts. Battle Angel Alita: Last Order is like that. Huge history, spanning centuries, even millennia, all kinds of shit happening. Its hard for characters to stay relevant when writer goes that wide. Original Alita is compact, well written manga with bunch of interesting characters and few story arcs. But after finishing it writer said fuck ima go planetary scale. AoT suffers from that as well. Its not about military recruits and their struggle after their world changed in one day, its something entirely differently where they only serve as fodder.

Tokyo Ghoul is a bit like that except anime is butchered in such spectacular way you cant even get a hold of wtf is happening. Thats by far the worst anime adaption ever.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: July 24, 2019, 08:49:05 am »
Tokyo Ghoul is a bit like that except anime is butchered in such spectacular way you cant even get a hold of wtf is happening. Thats by far the worst anime adaption ever.

Haha yeah, don't get me started on Tokyo Ghoul. Last season was just straight confusing if you didn't read manga, it's obvious they tried to cram so many chapters into one season making it an absolute mess. One of the biggest fuckups I've ever seen for sure.

Offline Ikarus

• King
  • Renown: 1470
  • Infamy: 121
  • Your favourite Schnitzel
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Ikarooz, CrossBowbimbo
« Reply #1480 on: July 24, 2019, 07:48:06 pm »
ah, thank god theres more people who think that NGE is overrated, I watched it with a friend whos a huge fan of it and although he showed me the "best parts" and the chronologically best way to see it, I still didnt like it. I also cant dig Akira, bah

njames, try Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, that's some really good shit
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 355
  • Infamy: 2897
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: July 25, 2019, 02:52:32 am »
FMA:B is overrated as well (being best anime on MAL) but it is very entertaining. Although story is dumb and clearly written for preteens. That has advantages like that scene at the end when:

(click to show/hide)

FMA:B and me being 4 years old again and He-man and NinjaTurtles are being thrown out of the window. Wonderful show for children.

Characters are good, not all of them (could not stand fire alchemist and some other) but leads are iconic both in looks and behavior. On the MAL scale I would give FMA:B 8.3 or 8.5 at best if I am in the mood. Nowhere close being the best anime. It is entertaining while you watch it and very bingeable but once you finish it you ask yourself why the fuck have I watched this shit in the first place.  Bleach is a bit like that although Bleach has other qualities like watching to see who will Ichigo beat next and how powerful he actually is. Unlike Gokus, Ichigos power level is always rising to heights we never before though possible.

Back to current anime. Seen ep3 of Dr Stone, better than second but still does not seem theres much quality in it. Seen ep2 of Fire Force and dunno is it me or that anime has the worst humor I have seen in anime so far. I get the jokes but they just arent funny. Of course the black haired weirdo kid who is main character has best blonde friend who is way cooler than him. Where did I see that before? Oh yeah HxH, MHA etc... Cant wait for Vinland Saga ep4.

And as always, if you want to see quality anime and dont mind dark overtones or somewhat depressive mood (know ton of people who only watch happy shows) you cant go wrong with Monster. Best writing in anime by incredibly large margin and no2 in my book.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 03:01:59 am by Leshma »

Offline Gurgumul

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: August 15, 2019, 10:46:09 am »
+1

Offline Ikarus

• King