Author Topic: THE anime thread  (Read 145407 times)

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2728
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
Re: THE anime thread
« Reply #1125 on: January 07, 2017, 05:47:05 pm »
Berserk 2016 ain't much worse than Berserk 1997. There, I said it.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #1126 on: January 07, 2017, 06:28:28 pm »
Berserk 2016 ain't much worse than Berserk 1997. There, I said it.

Yeah, well, you are stupid.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2709
  • Infamy: 1013
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: January 07, 2017, 11:30:28 pm »
First series have superior animation, better music, but I can't stand pacing. It is too damn slow and revolves around Guts love interest, which I couldn't care less tbh. He's a killing machine, he should do more what he does best. Arcs that are covered in new series offer more Guts and more violence. Which is point of the show.

Also, is there someone who actually like Griffith? Why does any of those people follow him is beyond me. It was clear to me that he's a sad piece of shit the first moment I laid eyes on him. They could choose someone more likable to fall from grace, instead of this blond, impotent bastard.

As for evil gods, Hellraiser much lol

Edit: Would say show is overrated but 8.4 score on MAL is about right.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 11:34:34 pm by Leshma »

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #1128 on: January 08, 2017, 12:17:19 am »
First series have superior animation, better music, but I can't stand pacing. It is too damn slow and revolves around Guts love interest, which I couldn't care less tbh. He's a killing machine, he should do more what he does best. Arcs that are covered in new series offer more Guts and more violence. Which is point of the show.

Also, is there someone who actually like Griffith? Why does any of those people follow him is beyond me. It was clear to me that he's a sad piece of shit the first moment I laid eyes on him. They could choose someone more likable to fall from grace, instead of this blond, impotent bastard.

As for evil gods, Hellraiser much lol

Edit: Would say show is overrated but 8.4 score on MAL is about right.

I dunno about Guts love interest being such a big part of the show, its part of his character arc, a big one, but isnt really the core. The golden age arc itself is generally to set up his past and evolution as a character. Just a killing machine doesnt go very far, even though thats what he goes back to somewhat for a time. Best part about the OG series is how the music plays so well with the emotional scenes. Incredibly memorable. The new series just lacks the animation and ost tbh, the story is solid panel by panel and with good pacing.

I love Griffith, the concept of an almost invincible general with a common birth, beautiful like a painting, who with nothing but a mercenary band rises to the top of the kingdom. And then how he almost falls in love with Guts, and when he leaves only his passion to become King remains.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2219
  • Infamy: 2019
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: January 08, 2017, 03:41:59 am »
Griffith is the same as that kid who died as his mercenary, only difference is him being in possession of demonic artifact. That is the only source of his greatness. Story is very straightforward and well explained, don't understand need to add fluff to it.

Unlike Griffith who is naturally weak, life has shaped Guts into fighter with tremendous willpower.

Griffith doesn't love Guts, he wants to control him because he is envious. Griffith isn't capable of love.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: January 08, 2017, 02:44:19 pm »
Griffith is the same as that kid who died as his mercenary, only difference is him being in possession of demonic artifact. That is the only source of his greatness. Story is very straightforward and well explained, don't understand need to add fluff to it.

Unlike Griffith who is naturally weak, life has shaped Guts into fighter with tremendous willpower.

Griffith doesn't love Guts, he wants to control him because he is envious. Griffith isn't capable of love.

But the power from his behelit only sparks once his passion is crumbling, aka when Guts leaves and Griffith gets destroyed in jail. Up untill that point, its all him and his talent/skill.

While probably true, yeah Griffith wants to control him, but he also had a unique relationship with Guts, which seemed much more geniune than something to simply control him. It seems odd that he would only want to control Guts to the point of going crazy when he actually leaves, but dont really care much for anyone else.

Offline Gurgumul

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: January 08, 2017, 03:57:46 pm »
The more I read your posts, the more I feel like I should start reading/watching Berserk already

Offline Voncrow

• Earl
  • Renown: 474
  • Infamy: 108
  • No honour in retreat
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Sovereign Kingdom of Thirdarrel
  • Game nicks: Voncrow, Bane, Velcrow
« Reply #1132 on: January 08, 2017, 10:12:21 pm »
Every time Gravoth posts about Berserk I just become more confused. I watched it, I feel like we watch two separate things. We didn't.

Also started reading Erased, very nice, much good.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 10:31:21 pm by Voncrow »
'The only people who might be put off M:BG by the current state of cRPG would be cRPG players, and we don't want that kind of scum in M:BG anyway.' - Heskey

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: January 08, 2017, 11:43:22 pm »
Every time Gravoth posts about Berserk I just become more confused. I watched it, I feel like we watch two separate things. We didn't.

Also started reading Erased, very nice, much good.

What part confuses you?

Offline Voncrow

• Earl
  • Renown: 474
  • Infamy: 108
  • No honour in retreat
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Sovereign Kingdom of Thirdarrel
  • Game nicks: Voncrow, Bane, Velcrow
« Reply #1134 on: January 08, 2017, 11:47:02 pm »
What part confuses you?

How you like it.
'The only people who might be put off M:BG by the current state of cRPG would be cRPG players, and we don't want that kind of scum in M:BG anyway.' - Heskey

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: January 09, 2017, 12:25:02 am »
+1
How you like it.

Thats ok, it just means you have trash taste. Berserk = bestserk

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1897
  • Infamy: 2736
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: January 09, 2017, 12:38:45 am »
The more I read your posts, the more I feel like I should start reading/watching Berserk already

If you want to read it, you should know that manga hosting sites have scanlations. Unless you want to pay twelve bucks per book, there are only two places where you can find Dark Horse scans. One is baka.bt, another one is some dude's mediafire.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2448
  • Infamy: 921
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: January 09, 2017, 12:48:52 am »
+1
But the power from his behelit only sparks once his passion is crumbling, aka when Guts leaves and Griffith gets destroyed in jail. Up untill that point, its all him and his talent/skill.

While probably true, yeah Griffith wants to control him, but he also had a unique relationship with Guts, which seemed much more geniune than something to simply control him. It seems odd that he would only want to control Guts to the point of going crazy when he actually leaves, but dont really care much for anyone else.

I'm glad you mentioned jail/torture scene. That is another obvious clue that shows behelit is source of Griffit's power. He's holding on very well until they take behelit away from him.

Again, Griffith doesn't care about Guts as a person. He cares about him combat prowess. That is what makes Guts special in Griffith's eyes, he's by far the most powerful individual he met on his rise to power (thanks to behelit). That is why he's so desperate to have Guts beside him, he's not sure he can make it without him.

But best proof is Zodd, who never acknowledged Griffith during their short battle and only spared his life because of behelit. Zodd was very pleased with Guts, because only thing that matter to Zodd is search for worthy opponent. He's not even evil, as you can see in the manga. The most powerful apostle and the only one who doesn't enjoy torturing people. If Griffith was talented warrior, Zodd would recognize that in him. He was actually confused why God Hand choose him of all people.

Offline Gurgumul

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: January 09, 2017, 12:57:13 am »
If you want to read it, you should know that manga hosting sites have scanlations. Unless you want to pay twelve bucks per book, there are only two places where you can find Dark Horse scans. One is baka.bt, another one is some dude's mediafire.
Pretty much all mangos I read is scanlations, so I'm used to it anyway. Besides, I can buy those books for less than half the price because yuropoor :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: January 09, 2017, 04:56:24 am »
I'm glad you mentioned jail/torture scene. That is another obvious clue that shows behelit is source of Griffit's power. He's holding on very well until they take behelit away from him.

Again, Griffith doesn't care about Guts as a person. He cares about him combat prowess. That is what makes Guts special in Griffith's eyes, he's by far the most powerful individual he met on his rise to power (thanks to behelit). That is why he's so desperate to have Guts beside him, he's not sure he can make it without him.

But best proof is Zodd, who never acknowledged Griffith during their short battle and only spared his life because of behelit. Zodd was very pleased with Guts, because only thing that matter to Zodd is search for worthy opponent. He's not even evil, as you can see in the manga. The most powerful apostle and the only one who doesn't enjoy torturing people. If Griffith was talented warrior, Zodd would recognize that in him. He was actually confused why God Hand choose him of all people.

Interesting points, i guess theres not really anything that proves either way regarding the behelit. It did bind his destiny, so i guess in a way he is made to survive, but it could also have chosen him because of his destiny. Since it does seem to chose him, as it returns after the jail scene.
I guess it also served him during the assassination attempt, maybe i overlooked it a bit, but i still dont consider it to retract from his own hardworked success.

Zodd is such a cool character, always a big favourite of mine. I wonder how he actually knows what he does.. but yeah he is confused with why they chose Griffith, maybe its because at the time his position wasnt very high, or maybe he simply doesnt view things as the God Hand does. He is basically only in search of strength and skill, which i believe Guts at that point had exceeded Griffiths. And so he overlooks his tactical skills, and political genius.
(click to show/hide)

And i believe i read scanlations, and they were all solid. Im not too picky on it, the ones ive read were good. Still considering picking up the books, but they are expensive af. And now the new spines are out for the reprints, so buying them would make for a poor looking collection.