Author Topic: THE anime thread  (Read 145397 times)

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2835
  • Infamy: 957
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
Re: THE anime thread
« Reply #1005 on: July 19, 2016, 04:03:52 am »
+2
I ain't no anime lover I only watched a few should I watch Death Note is it worth my time otherwise I will just stick with Shameless

Well, it ain't bad. Has its moments and parts I didn't like. Some people love it. Has nothing to do with Shameless, of course.

Anime has tendency to cover important subjects in the background of main story (usually cliche of nobody becoming somebody then finding out he was the chosen one all along, you know revan story). At least those intended for adults.

Which anime you have seen so far?

Offline the real god emperor

• King
  • Renown: 1630
  • Infamy: 348
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • Et tu, Brute?
    • View Profile
    • Click for gifts
  • Faction: Rome
  • Game nicks: Captain_Sweden
« Reply #1006 on: July 19, 2016, 08:45:57 pm »
+2
Which anime you have seen so far?

Well let's see

Zenkyou no Terror, not sure if its spelled like that
Samurai Champloo
Tokyo Ghoul
One Punch Man

I don't have a specific taste, I just like anything thats actually good

Offline Asheram

• King
  • Renown: 1107
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • stuck in a never ending time loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: July 19, 2016, 08:54:02 pm »
+2
Try
Berserk- medievalish,fated betrayel horror revenge story.

Hellsing ova's- chocolate chip cookie(lol n azi) vampires, fanatical catholic church with "special powers"  and Dracula who is bound to the Hellsing family.

Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust- not a series, a movie about a wandering bounty hunter who has abilities because his father was Dracula but his mother was a human.

Basilisk- 26 episode long series about two warring ninja clans in feudal japan. A Romeo and Juliette' esque tragedy where in a George RRM fashion every character dies except the government who set it up.

Cowboy Bebop- until next time space cowboy

Big O- one of toonamis first shows- about a giant robot that destroys the city it is defending from giant robots.

Outlaw Star- also another of toonamis 1sts, its similar to cowboy bebop not as good though.

Samurai X / Rurouni Kenshin- wandering samauri trying to attone for past sins.

Record of Lodoss Wars ova's- its an oldie you might not like it, its dungeons and dragonish as it is based off of old D&D pen and paper game/matches.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 02:41:59 am by Asheram »
Mortal Combat!ARYS "@Asheram you arent even what you stole from me bud"
PENDULUM
For everything that could have been At least we took the ride There's no relief in bitterness Might as well let it die

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2912
  • Infamy: 2374
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: July 19, 2016, 09:32:41 pm »
+3
I'll add
Psycho-Pass
Attack on Titan
Shiki
Serial Experiments Lain
Elfen Lied
Hellsing Ultimate
Shinsekai Yori
Mushishi
Parasyte
Boku Dake ga Inai Machi
Sidonia no Kishi

Some are better, some are worse. Some are right for you, other you will dislike. They are all good or at least decent. Not all are finished.

Others will chip in their picks. Mine are reviewed by meself truly in this very topic.

Offline rufio

• Marshall
  • Renown: 995
  • Infamy: 483
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • QQ
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Rufio_pleaser_of_widows, LeLouche_LampeRouge, Quenya_Favourite_of_Rufio
« Reply #1009 on: July 19, 2016, 11:55:34 pm »
+3
akira, gantz, ninja scroll, black lagoon. battle ship yamato, ghost in a shell, wolf brigade. monster, baccano. add these to the above
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline the real god emperor

• King
  • Renown: 1630
  • Infamy: 348
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • Et tu, Brute?
    • View Profile
    • Click for gifts
  • Faction: Rome
  • Game nicks: Captain_Sweden
« Reply #1010 on: July 20, 2016, 12:18:32 am »
+1
is it too much if I ask if you can explain briefly what they re about D:

Offline Rhekimos

• Duke
  • Renown: 672
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • ふふふふふ
    • View Profile
    • Forbiddena
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Rhekimos
  • IRC nick: Rhekimos
« Reply #1011 on: July 20, 2016, 01:05:41 am »
+3

I recommend Myanimelist for getting a brief description of them. It also links similar anime. And genres and user reviews.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/1/Cowboy_Bebop

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1161
  • Infamy: 700
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: July 20, 2016, 01:48:01 am »
+3

vampires, more vampires, space cowboys, vampires, mafia, samurai, a little bit of vampires, space mecha riders, future police, raped by giants, did i say vampires, matrix, superhuman killing machines, time travel, druids, talking hands, human vs furries, probably vampires

Offline Asheram

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: July 20, 2016, 01:55:25 am »
+2
akira, gantz, ninja scroll, black lagoon. battle ship yamato, ghost in a shell, wolf brigade. monster, baccano. add these to the above
TY forgot about Wolfs Rain
don't know if Wolf Brigade is anything even similar lol but you jogged my memory.

Also Kratos anything and everything done with Appleseed
and Blood+
and a honourable  mention for Trinity Blood unfortunately the creator passed away before finishing it.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 02:23:43 am by Asheram »
PENDULUM
For everything that could have been At least we took the ride There's no relief in bitterness Might as well let it die

Offline Rhekimos

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • ふふふふふ
    • View Profile
    • Forbiddena
« Reply #1014 on: July 20, 2016, 02:36:52 am »
+1

Wolf Brigade is a little different, though similarly not a very cheerful anime.

Offline Asheram

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: July 20, 2016, 02:48:40 am »
+1

Wolf Brigade is a little different, though similarly not a very cheerful anime.
The characters seem familiar to me like I have watched this before. I'll have to watch it again then hehe because I forgot the story if I did. Thanks.
PENDULUM

Offline Voncrow

• Earl
  • Renown: 474
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • No honour in retreat
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Sovereign Kingdom of Thirdarrel
  • Game nicks: Voncrow, Bane, Velcrow
« Reply #1016 on: July 20, 2016, 03:08:48 am »
+3
I need to watch the Wolf Brigade, it's probably one of the few shows where I've seen a lot of the style, but haven't seen the show itself. Also Wolf's Rain is really out there, I wouldn't recommend it because of how slow the pace is. I don't think I even fully got it at the time of watching it, and remembering back I definitely am lost. That show is just too surreal for me.

I'd recommend Baccano: A series set during prohibition that follows three different plot lines of related groups at the same time. The characters are super interesting and the plot is great.

Also Trigun: You follow the most wanted man in a Western Post Apocalyptic desert world where a human colony fleet crashed and you follow that wanted amazing skilled Gunslinger through his adventures.

Ghost in the Shell: You are in a cyberpunk where everyone has chips in there heads that connect to the internet or something and you follow a special police unit that stops Revolutionary/ Terrorist/ Criminal Hacker dudes in their tracks. I haven't watched it since toonami and never in a coherent beginning to end style. So I probably missed a lot about it, but it can be called one of the classics in the anime world alongside Cowboy Bebop.

Hellsing: You follow the Hellsing organization, a group of Vampire/ Undead hunters working for the UK government and there bad ass operatives, mainly Alucard one of the three holy Red Trench Coat gunslingers of the anime universe. One of the others is in Trigun and the third is Dante from Devil May Cry, because Devil May Cry got it's own decent, but short anime. I hear Hellsing Ultimate is better, I never watched it all the way through, but I enjoyed the original more because Ultimate seems to try to be more funny in ways I don't like. Although Ultimate has longer episodes and goes much further than the original Hellsing animation.

Berserk(Original Animation): Follows the extremely long back story of the Berserk Characters, you follow Guts and Griffiths band of the Hawk in an anime version of the Hundred Year war. There's a lot of fun battles and you get to see a much more artistic style than you normally see in animations. Some scenes involve even still frame paintings of stuff thats about to happen that are great even if odd for motion based mediums.

If you do enjoy Death Note, you'll probably like Code Geass. Both try to be smart animes that involve weak super smart anti hero main characters with Holier then thou good twoshoes adversaries that both have great moments and bad moments and lose touch with themselves in the second half. That said I enjoyed both in the second half even if it changes from the main purpose of the show.

There are a lot of great anime out there that are just buried by the load of crap you find on the surface. I think I can honestly say I've seen enough good anime that there are golden shows that I have forgotten just because of how long they have been out of my mind and will resurface easily when I'm reminded of them. Honestly I think the best advice I can give for finding good anime is give it some distance from  today. The past 5 years have no been good for the anime industry and I'd say the best way to find gold is look through shows pre-2013.

Now I feel like talking about some of my more favorite lack luster shows. Stuff like Kiba, Ergo Proxy, Gun Sword. Did you guys ever see any of these? It also just hit me that Re:Zero is a lot like Kiba.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 03:19:10 am by Voncrow »
'The only people who might be put off M:BG by the current state of cRPG would be cRPG players, and we don't want that kind of scum in M:BG anyway.' - Heskey

Offline Asheram

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: July 20, 2016, 03:35:38 am »
+2
(click to show/hide)
I have seen ergo proxy. Yeah Wolfs Rain prob not a good suggestion, esp not above Appleseed and Blood + in the same post. And Trigun is awesome as well as Full Metal Alchemist.
Also anyone who is a fan of animated movies and hasn't seen "Sword of the Stranger" is doing themselves a disservice.
PENDULUM

Offline Rhekimos

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • ふふふふふ
    • View Profile
    • Forbiddena
« Reply #1018 on: July 20, 2016, 03:52:07 am »
+2
It consists of a single movie, so Wolf Brigade won't take too much of your time either.

Code Geass just teemed with brilliance. I also wouldn't feel right without a shout-out to all the weird shit of Serial Experiments Lain.

Some anime that wasn't mentioned yet:

There's also a recent remake OVA/Movie series.

Offline Voncrow

• Earl
  • Renown: 474
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • No honour in retreat
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Sovereign Kingdom of Thirdarrel
  • Game nicks: Voncrow, Bane, Velcrow
« Reply #1019 on: July 20, 2016, 05:26:46 am »
+1
I was told I need to watch akira, I could never find where to watch it. I ended up finding the manga first and steamed roll through that stuff fast. All 6 or 7 volumes of it. I haven't seen the movie, but when it comes to anime it's not uncommon to find shows that just fail the manga, stuff like Parasyte and Tokyo Ghoul either because they can't fit everything or because they just have some idiot producer or something that changes things for the worse.
'The only people who might be put off M:BG by the current state of cRPG would be cRPG players, and we don't want that kind of scum in M:BG anyway.' - Heskey