Author Topic: THE anime thread  (Read 145523 times)

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1057
  • Infamy: 338
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
Re: THE anime thread
« Reply #840 on: March 10, 2016, 09:57:35 pm »
+1
Animu is a bad joke.

Offline Rico

• King
  • Renown: 1021
  • Infamy: 158
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rico, Mila
« Reply #841 on: March 11, 2016, 05:16:19 pm »
(click to show/hide)

Japanese having fun while doing something random; this song in a nutshell
It's still good though
Streaming cRPG, Supreme Commander and Age of Empires II on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/HeavenTV

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #842 on: March 11, 2016, 05:30:48 pm »
+1
Japanese having fun while doing something random; this song in a nutshell
It's still good though

I love it, somehow i feel it fits the anime perfectly.. Maybe because its sort of raw or something hmm. Feels genuine.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline karasu

• King
  • Renown: 1751
  • Infamy: 316
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • D̶͎̳͒́͗͋ẹ͕̲̠̳̄̃͂ͤ͑ͮṃ̮͎̗̦̏̿͊ͤi̥̪̼͕ͦ̀̊̐ȗ̘rͩ͋̅̊gͭ̿̋
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: March 11, 2016, 06:40:39 pm »
+3

Next in line was Mushi-Shi. It's an interesting anime but I expected something entirely different. Mushi-Shi is weird, disturbing and otherworldly in similar sense like Serial Experiments Lain. More art than tv show. People asking for fights or complex story won't get any of that, this is like fairy tales made into anime.

Mushi-shi was one of the best experiences I've had with anime. An impressive mixture of folklore, ethereal music and unique artwork. It's intense and unique in a very particular way. It's in no way an acquired taste. And I was quite sober when I watched it, I reckon.

Offline Rico

• King
  • Renown: 1021
  • Infamy: 158
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rico, Mila
« Reply #844 on: March 11, 2016, 07:30:28 pm »
+1
I rewatched Lain 3 times in the same week after I first watched it, but dropped Mushishi somewhere mid-way through the first season. They aren't the same for me. The closest anime to Lain are Boogiepop Phantom, Haibane Renmei and the first half of Shinreigari, but they still feel miles apart.
Streaming cRPG, Supreme Commander and Age of Empires II on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/HeavenTV

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: March 12, 2016, 06:15:49 pm »
Boku dake ga Inai Machi last episode, just gonna say bleh. So obvious. I was hoping they wouldn't do that.

Offline Rhekimos

• Duke
  • Renown: 672
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • ふふふふふ
    • View Profile
    • Forbiddena
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Rhekimos
  • IRC nick: Rhekimos
« Reply #846 on: March 15, 2016, 08:17:36 am »
Boku dake ga Inai Machi last episode, just gonna say bleh. So obvious. I was hoping they wouldn't do that.

That bad? I was hoping the series would be all around awesome and clever.

I rewatched Lain 3 times in the same week after I first watched it, but dropped Mushishi somewhere mid-way through the first season. They aren't the same for me. The closest anime to Lain are Boogiepop Phantom, Haibane Renmei and the first half of Shinreigari, but they still feel miles apart.

Lain is pretty great. Haibane Renmei as well, but they share creators so it makes sense that they have similarity. Texhnolyze too, which you could try if you are looking for something with that thumbprint.

Offline Gurgumul

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: March 16, 2016, 12:49:54 am »
+1
Ressentiment

Offline karasu

• King
  • Renown: 1751
  • Infamy: 316
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • D̶͎̳͒́͗͋ẹ͕̲̠̳̄̃͂ͤ͑ͮṃ̮͎̗̦̏̿͊ͤi̥̪̼͕ͦ̀̊̐ȗ̘rͩ͋̅̊gͭ̿̋
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: March 16, 2016, 11:12:06 am »
Lain is pretty great. Haibane Renmei as well, but they share creators so it makes sense that they have similarity. Texhnolyze too, which you could try if you are looking for something with that thumbprint.

Hmmm what do you guys advise to watch from the last couple of years? Ever since fanservice and fucking dump "plots" decided to plague the anime world I lost track on the shows. Whatever genre.

Offline Rhekimos

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • ふふふふふ
    • View Profile
    • Forbiddena
« Reply #849 on: March 16, 2016, 12:53:21 pm »
+2
Hmmm what do you guys advise to watch from the last couple of years? Ever since fanservice and fucking dump "plots" decided to plague the anime world I lost track on the shows. Whatever genre.

Parasyte sticks out as the most recently aired show that I liked. Did you catch Shinsekai Yori?
Psycho-Pass was also surprisingly good.

Sidonia no Kisshi was solid scifi, if you don't let the animation style drive you away.

Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru could also fit the bill, from the non-action corners of anime. I don't recall it having significant amounts of fanservice.

If stupid plots irk you, you could try something with hardly any plot. Like slice-of-life space aspirations in Space Brothers.
Non Non Biyori offers almost zen-like nonsense, also from the slice-of-life department.

Golden Time or Charlotte could also strike your fancy, but they didn't leave that big of an impression as the others.

Offline Shemaforash

• Duke
  • Renown: 533
  • Infamy: 169
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Shemaforash
« Reply #850 on: March 16, 2016, 01:43:38 pm »
+1
Death Parade, One Punch Man and Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun

I also recommend Psycho-pass, but nothing else than the first season.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 01:56:01 pm by Shemaforash »
You should be punished for having a shitty attitude.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 76
  • Infamy: 1997
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: March 16, 2016, 02:35:24 pm »
Finished with Attack on Titan. It is obviously shounen but good kind, it attempts to be like seinen manga/anime but isn't deep enough. Still it is really good anime, faithful to manga (yes I'm reading manga as well). Great animation, epic story, interesting characters. Will be even better in season 2 methinks but we'll have to wait a little longer (they postponed it a bit, originally it should be available in few months). Still have OVA to check but I kinda hate OVA...

What I dislike the most about AoT isn't directly related to manga or anime. Hate how popular it is. Great show indeed but people are so fucking stupid if they think this is best manga/anime in past five years or so.

Now to say something about these shows which share similar character. Last two I watched have practically the same type of character. Kaneki/Eren are your typical characters which become chosen one. Same goes for Sidonia no Kishi protagonist, he's also hero type. I'm kinda tired of it. Can't wait for some studio to pick up I am a Hero. That's proper manga with realistic, believable character who never becomes true hero with superpowers and shit like that.

Another thing, can Japanese please stop making action movies based on manga/anime?

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 993
  • Infamy: 1972
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: March 16, 2016, 02:46:53 pm »
+1
Parasyte sticks out as the most recently aired show that I liked. Did you catch Shinsekai Yori?
Psycho-Pass was also surprisingly good.

Sidonia no Kisshi was solid scifi, if you don't let the animation style drive you away.

Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru could also fit the bill, from the non-action corners of anime. I don't recall it having significant amounts of fanservice.

If stupid plots irk you, you could try something with hardly any plot. Like slice-of-life space aspirations in Space Brothers.
Non Non Biyori offers almost zen-like nonsense, also from the slice-of-life department.

Golden Time or Charlotte could also strike your fancy, but they didn't leave that big of an impression as the others.

Parasyte is really well made anime, very addicting and has no fault till the very end. Not the best anime truly good.

Need decent version of Shinsekai Yori with good english subs (not some half broken garbage), anyone knows where I can find such a thing? Cornbreadman (CBM) video quality if possible.

Psycho-Pass is okay. Was better when after I finished it, now it's kinda meh. First season is very good, second is kinda garbage but I've given my opinion why they finished it the way they did.

Sidonia no Kishi isn't finished and has bigger issues than animation style (which is surprisingly good considering it is CGI, Ajin done by same studio is just awfully animated). Not sure will they finish it in next season, haven't read manga but I think I've seen some episodes in second season that can be branded as fillers. Still better than Naruto and similar crap. Not that far away from Attack on Titan story wise, maybe Sidonia will have better ending. Who knows...

Rest haven't seen nor I plan to. My manga/anime needs to have some suspense, thriller, outwordly story. Can't watch school kids falling in love or sport anime. Space Brothers seems interesting but think it has like 100 episodes...
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 02:52:03 pm by Leshma »

Offline Rhekimos

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • ふふふふふ
    • View Profile
    • Forbiddena
« Reply #853 on: March 16, 2016, 03:17:20 pm »
+1
Need decent version of Shinsekai Yori with good english subs (not some half broken garbage), anyone knows where I can find such a thing? Cornbreadman (CBM) video quality if possible.

Bakabt is my choice of stop for all unlicensed anime: https://bakabt.me/details.php?id=178087&page=0

I wouldn't advise to expect too much of Sidonia's second season, but it's watchable.
I have to agree with Psycho-Pass's second season. You can still enjoy it if you plain ignore some things about it, just like Matrix and the ending.
Space Brothers is a long one, but it's a good ride. The world doesn't come close to ending in each episode but there's some excitement in there too.

Judging from what you said, you might still enjoy Charlotte. I personally found the backdrop reasons in the anime to be almost shockingly stupid. But that doesn't stop the story from being enjoyable and developing to an intensity you probably won't see coming.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 03:29:22 pm by Rhekimos »

Offline Ikarus

• King
  • Renown: 1470
  • Infamy: 121
  • Your favourite Schnitzel
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Ikarooz, CrossBowbimbo
« Reply #854 on: March 16, 2016, 03:24:28 pm »
+1
Shinsekai Yori, yeh, haven´t seen this one yet but a friend of mine has lately and he just won´t stop talking about it, gotta have a look on that one

Another thing, can Japanese please stop making action movies based on manga/anime?
check out "Welcome to NHK", it´s based on a book and very good