Author Topic: THE anime thread  (Read 145457 times)

Offline Rando

• Duke
  • Renown: 593
  • Infamy: 183
  • cRPG Player
  • Chairman of the Refuge Against Domestic Violence.
    • View Profile
Re: THE anime thread
« Reply #675 on: December 06, 2015, 06:32:42 am »
I feel like the fights that Saitama are actually in don't usually get overwinded or take up too much time compared to Overlord which loves taking its time clarifying the point we know. Plus One Punch man has none op characters who are generally more interesting to me than any of the pets in Overlord. And to top it off the different in humor is a big decider for me, I usually find myself cringing at most of the comedy bits in Overlord while I actually laugh at the bits in OPM. On top of everything else Overlords pace is set at a crawl while OPM is just sprinting through the plot like its trying to get most of the manga in in the first 13 episodes. Which it is doing beautifully and are pacing the show at a good pace. All these are the factors that I find why OPM feels better to watch than Overlord imo. I really wanted to like Overlord, but they just didn't seem to go anywhere with it. I just can't handle how slow its going.

I mostly agree. Overlord would've been great if it kept going... But obviously, it didn't, and no new season is even confirmed. I liked the fact that the creator was inspired by paper & pen RPGs, it really showed. Nothing worse than being blueballed by a show that's way too short, though.
Women cannot be autistic, because that implies otherwise well functioning brain to be impaired in some way. We know that women posses no such thing.

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • Renown: 198
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Deus_Mortis
« Reply #676 on: December 06, 2015, 09:21:40 am »
Even as someone as Mumen Rider gets you to feel his struggle to compete with the fights.

At least he's not a coward despite having no possibilities in those fights.

Offline Umbra

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Krems, Freak Army of Gnjus
  • Game nicks: Umbra
« Reply #677 on: December 06, 2015, 10:33:54 am »
I mostly agree. Overlord would've been great if it kept going... But obviously, it didn't, and no new season is even confirmed. I liked the fact that the creator was inspired by paper & pen RPGs, it really showed. Nothing worse than being blueballed by a show that's way too short, though.

Welp, most anime is made just to promote the source material. Overlord sadly wasnt an exception.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: December 06, 2015, 06:37:29 pm »
+1
Even as someone as Mumen Rider gets you to feel his struggle to compete with the fights.

At least he's not a coward despite having no possibilities in those fights.

Mumen Rider is da fuckin mvp

Offline Sir_Hans

• Earl
  • Renown: 477
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Beached_Dolphin, Sir_Hans
« Reply #679 on: December 07, 2015, 12:41:19 am »
Ok anime goons, I need some help for present ideas for my niece... She has been starting to get into some animes/manga readings... I know she likes Naruto.

I was wondering what you guys can recommend that is child friendly (she's 11) but also very good or popular among the kids...

I'm looking to buy her a little collection of mangas or anime comics or w/e for her, they must be in english! also must be child friendly, little bit of violence is ok but no over-the-top gore and sexual content.  :mrgreen:

I know little about anime/mangas... most of what I've seen and liked in the past is directed at more of a mature audience.
plzhalpthx

I might just end up buying her studio ghibli movies

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 748
  • Infamy: 651
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: December 07, 2015, 01:26:06 am »
Ghibli studio movies are fine choice. Especially My Neighbor Totoro. Not sure about being popular nowadays among kids, they are classics after all. Would advize you to avoid Grave of the Fireflies and maybe Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke. First movie is not for children and second/third can scare them.

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: December 07, 2015, 01:41:58 am »
+2
I watched Spirited Away as a kid. It's cool. Then i forced my stepbro (7 at the time) to watch it once again with me.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2977
  • Infamy: 1857
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: December 07, 2015, 01:46:49 am »
+1
I said maybe, to be on a safe side. Not all children are the same, some 11 years old are very mature some are still acting like little kids. Spirited away is good choice for 11 year old girl because protagonist is around that age. She'll easily identify with main character.

If I wanted to be a dick could easily recommend Elfen Lied because there are teenage girls in that show or what I'm currently finishing, Serial Experiments Lain (thanks for recommendation Rhekimos). But those could freak her out.

Offline Asheram

• King
  • Renown: 1107
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • stuck in a never ending time loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: December 07, 2015, 02:15:33 am »
+1
I watched Spirited Away as a kid. It's cool. Then i forced my stepbro (7 at the time) to watch it once again with me.

try these too :)
(click to show/hide)
Mortal Combat!ARYS "@Asheram you arent even what you stole from me bud"
PENDULUM
For everything that could have been At least we took the ride There's no relief in bitterness Might as well let it die

Offline Voncrow

• Earl
  • Renown: 474
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • No honour in retreat
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Sovereign Kingdom of Thirdarrel
  • Game nicks: Voncrow, Bane, Velcrow
« Reply #684 on: December 07, 2015, 02:55:41 am »
Princes Mononoke is a personal favorite of mine but might be a bit much for a child, Ghibli would be a safer path to go if you are looking for something for your niece. For manga or anime sports based is usually a safer genre for kids since it usually stays away from gory but you might have to watch out for perverted content. I really enjoyed Eye Shield 21 and Prince of Tennis and I'm pretty sure they stayed pretty pg but you should look into them a little bit before hand to double check. Honestly I would be more able in making a list that kids shouldn't watch. Final recommendation would be Trigun, an excellent story about a Peace Loving gunman who travels a desert planet helping people and who takes out opponents with amazing skill without killing anyone.

I actually briefly scrolled over a list of anime to look for recommendations, saw Kiba and immediately felt the an emotion that equated to "oh yeah Kiba's a thing and it's pretty gud" although I would recommend it for the younglings.
'The only people who might be put off M:BG by the current state of cRPG would be cRPG players, and we don't want that kind of scum in M:BG anyway.' - Heskey

Offline Sir_Hans

• Earl
  • Renown: 477
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Beached_Dolphin, Sir_Hans
« Reply #685 on: December 07, 2015, 10:25:27 am »
All the mangas and comics are so expensive... so I got her ghibli movies...

I got her Princess Mononoke and Castle in the Sky... I don't think she will have a problem with Princess Mononoke, I'd bet she's seen worse.  :mrgreen:
I kind of wanted to get Pocco Rosso but that will have to wait til her birthday :3 I think I'll just keep buying her ghibli movies for her birthday and christmases until she has them all

Thank's for the suggestions guys.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: December 07, 2015, 10:29:08 am »
+2
get her berserk manga

why start low when you can start at the peak

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1856
  • Infamy: 769
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: December 10, 2015, 02:00:07 am »
+1
Finished with Lain. Simply put, this shit is fucked up. Reckon it is very unique and not many manga/anime go this route. Didn't like art and animation much, see some people praising it but it rubbed me in the wrong way. However it fits the style and intention of the author perfectly. Soundtrack is basically that opening song which is catchy and kinda cool. Also that intro before opening song which is weird as fuck.

(click to show/hide)

Second paragraph is placed under spoiler tag because of potential story spillage, duh.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: December 10, 2015, 09:30:48 am »
+4
Second paragraph is placed under spoiler tag because of potential story spillage, duh.

Spoiler tag being used for actual spoilers? Preposterous

Offline Voncrow

• Earl
  • Renown: 474
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • No honour in retreat
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Sovereign Kingdom of Thirdarrel
  • Game nicks: Voncrow, Bane, Velcrow
Re: THE Manga thread
« Reply #689 on: December 10, 2015, 05:52:23 pm »
They released a bunch of chapters of OPM, some of the chapters were comically short but nothing new there. Still pretty quality plot wise but humour wise it was a little lacking. I'm sure they are setting some good stuff up though. Kind of makes up for the lack of Rikudo chapters lately. That and Hajime no Ippo chapters but we got quite a few of those a while ago so I wouldn't be surprised if they are just building up again. Also wish they release a Rikudo chapter soon. They seemed to be doing a Karate Shoukoushi chapter every other week so I'm not really worried about that. But lately all the translations for All Rounder Meguru have been ridiculously filled with slang. The translator has to be doing on purpose and its funny in its own right until just drags on you. Still waiting for more Vagabond and Vinland Saga, hope we see some good releases soon and maybe someone starts translating a new Manga that's amazing soonish. (This post in anime thread completely dedicated to manga)
'The only people who might be put off M:BG by the current state of cRPG would be cRPG players, and we don't want that kind of scum in M:BG anyway.' - Heskey