Author Topic: THE anime thread  (Read 143683 times)

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: THE anime thread
« Reply #1500 on: December 17, 2019, 01:32:34 pm »
If only they would tone down the cringe scenes and focus more on making stuff.

I don't mind the cringey / silly anime humour, I can still have a laugh at silly scenes like the mastercrafter grandpa's clothes flying off when he gets excited over projects.

MHA is legit just fucking boring this season so far.

Other ones I watched / am watching:
- the new Legend of Galatic Heroes, this was a satisfying watch through and through, enjoyed it a lot
- Enen no Shouboutai, at first I thought it was below average, but for a standard combat based shonen it is slowly growing on me
- Vinland Saga, not much to say here, great anime

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 1567
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: December 18, 2019, 06:26:53 am »
Cringey parts are all da feelings scenes, not the funny gags.

MHA is a lot like OPM, just like OPM without Saitama makes no sense, MHA without All Might is well bellow average shounen anime. Other characters simply suck monkey balls and those with potential are left with little screen time. OPM has Joker like antagonist in Garou, which makes up for lack of Saitama. MHA has no such thing as of yet.

First few episodes of MHA werent all about academia, which is why they were good. Have zero interest in this harry-potterish school life of young heroes.

Had my reservations about new LotGH, but so far it is almost spot on. Remarkable remake which, once again, blows most other anime out of the water when it comes to story and character development. Low score on MAL comes from two sides. First are those who slapped 10 on original and see no need for remake therefore give poor score. Second and dominant are all those kids who saw 9 on MAL, gave it a try and found it boring (this story is japanese depiction of Tolstoy, its perfectly understandable why kids find it boring and slow), thus slapped 0 on new version to make sure its not ranked high as original. Could score bomb original but kids find that to be lame move. Remake, if not for different music that doesn't quite match the period and high tech nature of ships in new one, is almost like high quality remaster. They did not change many scenes at all.

Enen no Shouboutai gets a lot better but also more cookie cutter which is why score plunged down. Not sure what expectations were but as it is now, story does work for me although Ive seen it before many times. First few episodes are confusing mess.

Vinland Saga is top anime.

Also watching No Guns Life as I already mentioned and new Psycho Pass. Aint that bad but format is terrible. 45 minutes for anime is a no for me, although I believe Monster did the same. Not being good as Monster makes for me being bored while watching an episode of Psycho Pass 3. They should stick to 25 min format.

Should give Blade of the Immortal and Hero is Overpowered but overly cautious a try in next few weeks.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 06:32:00 am by Leshma »

Offline Nickleback

• Hero of The Chamber of Tears
  • Earl
  • Renown: 338
  • Infamy: 263
  • cRPG Player
  • Sheogorath -a Daedra Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: December 18, 2019, 01:37:19 pm »
my first duty when i get admin is locking this thread and deleting all posts also muting everyone who ever posted here for 5 days.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: December 19, 2019, 10:06:25 am »
Had my reservations about new LotGH, but so far it is almost spot on. Remarkable remake which, once again, blows most other anime out of the water when it comes to story and character development. Low score on MAL comes from two sides. First are those who slapped 10 on original and see no need for remake therefore give poor score. Second and dominant are all those kids who saw 9 on MAL, gave it a try and found it boring (this story is japanese depiction of Tolstoy, its perfectly understandable why kids find it boring and slow), thus slapped 0 on new version to make sure its not ranked high as original. Could score bomb original but kids find that to be lame move. Remake, if not for different music that doesn't quite match the period and high tech nature of ships in new one, is almost like high quality remaster. They did not change many scenes at all.

I for one don't understand that. The anime has incredible pacing, the story and characters advance every single episode, feels like it has no downtime at all. Perhaps the theme is a bit too mature for them and they just want to watch heroes with the power of anime and god on their side. And it makes me sad that we don't have actual sci-fi series like this at all, so we need to rely on japs to animate us some good sci fi shit.

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: December 20, 2019, 11:45:27 am »
I for one don't understand that. The anime has incredible pacing, the story and characters advance every single episode, feels like it has no downtime at all. Perhaps the theme is a bit too mature for them and they just want to watch heroes with the power of anime and god on their side. And it makes me sad that we don't have actual sci-fi series like this at all, so we need to rely on japs to animate us some good sci fi shit.

I've been asking myself why this is the case for years.

LotGH sounds like the perfect thing to watch when we're finished with the yamato soon, thx for tip.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1472
  • Infamy: 118
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: December 21, 2019, 06:25:07 am »
Haven't seen Battleship Yamato but LOGH is sausage fest. Half a dozen female characters vs couple dozen males. For kids, Knights of Sidonia might be more exciting but that's a bit scary for kids. Planetes is probably the best choice for you guys. Whatever you do, avoid the first episode of Goblin Slayer and last episode of original Berserk like a plague, unless you want to get yourself into a very uncomfortable situation trying to explain to a little girl what rape is. Also, no Higurashi When They Cry. I can make you a list of what to avoid in case you stumble upon an anime prior to reading synopsis what it is about.

Enen no Subutai IRL: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/12/15/did-burned-to-death-pensioner-spontaneously-combust-bafflement/

Offline Asheram

• King
  • Renown: 1107
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • stuck in a never ending time loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: December 25, 2019, 12:16:18 am »
Mortal Combat!ARYS "@Asheram you arent even what you stole from me bud"
PENDULUM
For everything that could have been At least we took the ride There's no relief in bitterness Might as well let it die

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2485
  • Infamy: 1094
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: February 01, 2020, 02:58:30 am »
Pretty shitty situation for the first half of the year. Nothing of quality announced. In the second half we should see the continuation of Tatenoyusha, Dr. Stone, Yakusoku no Neverland and Enen no Subotai with the final season of SnK as icing on the cake. Also, this is cooking: https://myanimelist.net/anime/40333/Uzumaki. There is a live-action movie which is pretty shit like most live-action movies. Gyo was only Junji Ito anime adaptation and is pretty lukewarm. This could be good. One of my long time wishes is to see Uzumaki anime and it is finally happening.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1974
  • Infamy: 1509
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: April 03, 2020, 09:44:29 pm »
+2
Currently airing anime are mostly terrible.

I had to give up on My Hero Academia because I could not take it anymore. You must be 7-13 to be able to tolerate that shit, I just cannot.

Finished Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!. It is not bad but did not enjoy it that much. Better than the rest of stuff currently airing tho. But one thing about is IMHO the best ever. The OP. Also, watch the music video for the song used in OP, I have rarely if ever seen so many animations in 3 minute video. This anime is something Ikarus would appreciate more than me.

Dug out some last season anime I skipped:

Hero is overpowered but overly cautious is IMHO, great. The best isekai anime I have seen so far. I binged through 12 episodes in two nights, very enjoyable to watch.

Finished Vinland Saga. No complaints, high-quality epic anime. Those who did not watch it yet I highly recommend doing so.

Blade of the Immortal. Just like Hero is overpowered this one has low grades on MAL but it is an odd one. At the same time, it is great and it is not. Not immensely enjoyable but that did not stop me from finishing it. It is a mix of Berserk, Mushishi, Dororo and Ninja Scroll. Overall it is better than Dororo but could be even better. Anyone who enjoyed Berserk and Dororo will most likely enjoy Blade of the Immortal. It is bloodier and more gruesome than both, by a large margin Id say. Not a fan of OP and general art style. Anime would be much better received if the story was not compacted in twenty-something episodes and if it had more colorful and more mainstream art direction.

Never seen Gundam, any Gundam. But know what it is. So I decided to give Gundam a chance and made my mind to try the most recent one that is available online, Mobile Suit Gundam The Origin. Did not expect much tbh. But I was blown away. Quality of everything is on par with Vinland Saga and better. It is the best anime I have seen in the last six months. For those who liked remake of Legends of the Galactic Heroes, this is an absolute must-watch.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 10:21:22 pm by Leshma »

Offline Ikarus

• King
  • Renown: 1470
  • Infamy: 121
  • Your favourite Schnitzel
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Ikarooz, CrossBowbimbo
« Reply #1509 on: April 11, 2020, 03:08:42 pm »
+1
Leshma have you seen Beastars yet? Very interesting experiment, animation is so well done that it's the first anime where Im not bothered at all by the CG. Just binged the last few episodes and I am not somebody who binges episodes, it's been long since Ive been so invested in a story, very well done imo
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 871
  • Infamy: 1168
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: April 15, 2020, 01:30:42 am »
I will give a go after I finish with Arslan Senki.

Devilman Crybaby... overrated. Weird art style, American influence (gay and gender theory bullshit), feels like that depressive piece of crap Evangelion with Berserk characters. Boobs are nice tho, even on that blonde bundle of sticks.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 01:41:54 am by Leshma »

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2301
  • Infamy: 993
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: April 23, 2020, 11:08:45 pm »
Arslan Senki is not bad but is nothing special. It gets worse as the story progresses. It is the proper medieval anime and has a strong Mount and Blade vibe.

Offline Ikarus

• King
  • Renown: 1470
  • Infamy: 121
  • Your favourite Schnitzel
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Ikarooz, CrossBowbimbo
« Reply #1512 on: April 24, 2020, 05:34:51 pm »
+2
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Gurgumul

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: April 24, 2020, 08:56:42 pm »
+1
Arslan Senki is not bad but is nothing special. It gets worse as the story progresses. It is the proper medieval anime and has a strong Mount and Blade vibe.

this is american cartoon garbage, not anime. only lacks cringy squeaky teenager voices, and I can put it between simpsons and south park just because it's made in japan , doesn;t mean it's anime - it should have the distinct style and shitty, tearing 24fps animation to be called anime

I will give a go after I finish with Arslan Senki.

Devilman Crybaby... overrated. Weird art style, American influence (gay and gender theory bullshit), feels like that depressive piece of crap Evangelion with Berserk characters. Boobs are nice tho, even on that blonde bundle of sticks.

YEAAHHH BROTHURRR this is exactly what I;m talking about. what the fuck, the precision of exactness is 100%. this is such fucking cringe smh my head

Offline Asheram

• King
  • Renown: 1107
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • stuck in a never ending time loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: April 24, 2020, 10:12:26 pm »
+1
Mortal Combat!ARYS "@Asheram you arent even what you stole from me bud"
PENDULUM
For everything that could have been At least we took the ride There's no relief in bitterness Might as well let it die