• Renown: 123
  • Infamy: 25
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Duke_Henry_HRE
Lances
« on: August 05, 2014, 06:28:32 pm »
So I am wondering what actually happened to lances after a knight hit someone with it. Did they always break upon impact?
 I know the jousting lances were purposely hollowed out, but what about lances like this
(click to show/hide)
?
 Would the rider be able to pull it out of the enemy's body and use it again if it didn't break?

Offline Franke

• Earl
  • Renown: 384
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Franke_HRE and Frankes_STF_HRE
Re: Lances
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 07:26:13 pm »
I guess in a field battle the lance became useless after the initial clash as it would have been too long for the close quarters combat so the rider might have dropped it.
Quote from: Tindel
In teamspeak i like to hear all of your opinions on; beer and alcohol, chocolate chip cookies, social problems and their solutions, massmurderers, why ranged should burn in hell, hating on new maps, hating on old maps.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Laufknoten

• Earl
  • Renown: 480
  • Infamy: 63
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
  • BOAT OF ANGER FLOATING ON THE SEA OF TEARS
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Felipe
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 07:45:14 pm »
I think I've read somewhere that they actually went back to their pages to get a new lance and ride a new charge, but I'm probably wrong on this. Though I'm pretty sure they avoided stationary fights when mounted as this wasn't their strong side.

Offline Prinz_Karl

• Earl
  • Renown: 383
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fridericus_II
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 09:17:01 am »
They didn't continue fighting with their lances after the initial charge or at least it seems very pointless, as Franke said. They would change to melee weapons then, they also made several waves of charges sometimes though. However I don't think the lance broke on charges (more like the guy who's hit) and they had to bring new ones.

Cavalry charges also depended much on tactic and opportunity. A frontal cavalry charge on closed, disciplined infantry could end disastrous for cavalry and with the use of pikes those charges became completely uneffective. So the best would have been to charge loosened formations or simply untrained units. Cavalry would also only charge if a flat terrain is available, uneven and muddy terrains would be avoided. Meaning that those lancers (in this time they were mostly knights I think) had to fight as infantry if required.

Offline Laufknoten

• Earl
  • Renown: 480
  • Infamy: 63
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
  • BOAT OF ANGER FLOATING ON THE SEA OF TEARS
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Felipe
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 01:54:17 pm »
They didn't continue fighting with their lances after the initial charge or at least it seems very pointless, as Franke said. They would change to melee weapons then, they also made several waves of charges sometimes though. However I don't think the lance broke on charges (more like the guy who's hit) and they had to bring new ones.
Even if it didn't broke it would most likely be stuck in the enemies body, perhaps even to a point where they would have had to dismount to get it back. So if the enemy consisted of lightly armed troops I guess the just drew their swords or maces and slaughtered them but against well trained and armed troops they actually fell back to get a new lance and ride a new charge if they had the chance to.