Off Topic > Historical Discussion

Hardcore History

(1/6) > >>

Fearvich:
I'm sorry ahead of time.

A reporter named Dan Carlin does a podcast every few months called 'Hardcore History.' While he is not a historian, it truly seems he tries to deliver very accurate information, with some pazaaz. This guy makes history SO INTERESTING AND INTENSE. He mostly focuses on military history. He's done several epic show series including the fall of the Roman Empire. (12+ hours on it) All chronologically. Love Mongolians? Want to learn their amazing history for 6-8 hours? Wanted the facts about Hannibal's assault on Rome (Though it was more about separating Rome from it's Italian allies)? Punic wars are for you. Interested in WW1? The series he is currently working on 'Blueprint for Armageddon' is in the process of covering it.

I cannot stress how great his show is. I wasn't particularly interested in history until I started listening to it. He keeps a rolling list of free shows, and the ones you have to pay for are 1.00-3.00 USD.

http://dancarlin.com/disp.php/hharchive

I suggested starting 'The Wrath of the Khans.' It is by far my favorite, and still free! The reason why I'm sorry is... he takes 4-6 months for new episodes of hardcore history to come out. SUCH A LONG WAIT.

Lord_Bernie_of_Voodoo:
I listen to him weekly, almost daily at work when I can - Dan is indeed the man. I just finished his Mongol series and am really looking forward to "Blueprint for Armageddon IV." To agree/support your point, Dan really does make his whole podcast extremely interesting if you're a history fan. I'm planning on buying his Roman/Caesar podcasts within the next few days.

His knowledge on both history and how to present it is really impressive. He claims to read about 30- 50 different sources and books on the topic between each recording.

Torost:
Dan Carlin is great!

I have burned thru all the HH podcasts while playing crpg.
Just turn that music and repetative sounds off, and let Dan the Man expand you mind.

Sandersson Jankins:
Oh fuck yeah, I'm gonna have to check out his WW1 shit. Great find, m8.

Angantyr:
Alright, I had my usual scepticism for anything remotely pop-history at first, but decided to give this a chance.

The 'Wrath of the Khans' series was good, the 'Thor's Angels' was really good (Volkswanderung, Germanic dark age), but the 'Blueprint for Armageddon' about WWI was just amazing.

I highly recommend this podcast to anyone (Blueprint for Armageddon especially, WWI deserves more exposition), the thrill of military history that I remember from my childhood, but which at least in Scandinavian historiology has been almost completely neglected since 1945.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version