Author Topic: Long Bow vs Yumi  (Read 8757 times)

Offline Tiger

• Marshall
  • Renown: 853
  • Infamy: 57
  • cRPG Player
  • Made In China
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: TigerGirl; MooMooMilk; BobaBubbleTea; TerraCotta; Tuberculosis; BoomStickGirl
Long Bow vs Yumi
« on: June 19, 2014, 04:41:16 am »
+4
Well the Long Bow better bow down to the Yumi Bow :P
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 04:47:09 am by Tiger »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

"The long united must divide; the long divided must unite."
"How many things, before and after, all melt into gossip and laughter."

Offline Dionysus

• Duke
  • Renown: 696
  • Infamy: 63
  • cRPG Player
  • I move-- for no man.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Art of War
  • Game nicks: Dionysus_AoW
Re: Long Bow vs Yumi
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 09:25:08 am »
+7
Hammers and screwdrivers. They are both tools, but they do different jobs.

A Yumi and a longbow. They are both bows, but they do different jobs.

I always find these comparisons so asinine. If the English could have used something better, I'm sure they would have. But they didn't, and that speaks volumes for the value of longbows. I doubt that given the chance, an Englishman or Welshman would trade his longbow for a Yumi at Agincourt.

P.S. I have no sense of humor.

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 09:44:51 am »
+2
Hammers and screwdrivers. They are both tools, but they do different jobs.

A Yumi and a longbow. They are both bows, but they do different jobs.

I always find these comparisons so asinine. If the English could have used something better, I'm sure they would have. But they didn't, and that speaks volumes for the value of longbows. I doubt that given the chance, an Englishman or Welshman would trade his longbow for a Yumi at Agincourt.

P.S. I have no sense of humor.

longbows had nothing to do with english success at agincourt, archers were just dirt cheap compared to knights so they hired a bunch, any arrow would fuck up unarmored horses (which is all they accomplished with ranged)

tho humorously I believe it was Agincourt where italian crossbow mercs tried to do a few volleys, but because of rain they had wet strings and couldn't shoot so they got scared off by the english archers. the french knights then immediately cav charged their own italian mercs for being cowardly ranged, and killed most of them themselves
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline Gmnotutoo

• King
  • Renown: 1387
  • Infamy: 229
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Space Pope of BIRD CLAN
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Unicorns
  • Game nicks: Gmnotutoo
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 09:54:52 am »
+7
I logged in to post in this thread for the sole purposes of saying buff katanas.

THIS IS A MANLY CLAN. FOR MANLY MEN. DOING MANLY THINGS.

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 10:34:18 am »
+3
longbows had nothing to do with english success at agincourt, archers were just dirt cheap compared to knights so they hired a bunch, any arrow would fuck up unarmored horses (which is all they accomplished with ranged)

tho humorously I believe it was Agincourt where italian crossbow mercs tried to do a few volleys, but because of rain they had wet strings and couldn't shoot so they got scared off by the english archers. the french knights then immediately cav charged their own italian mercs for being cowardly ranged, and killed most of them themselves

Perhaps not the direct reason for victory, but to say their unrivaled range on that battlefield and their hitting power had no effect on the outcome is ignorant. Sure, it could have been another European Bow or a Crossbow or something, but the former didn't hit as hard and the latter had a far slower rate of fire. Plus those "hired archers" you speak of, they come hand in hand with those Longbows, they probably spent hundreds of hours practicing with their Longbow. Sure, other bows and crossbows could have wounded and killed those Horses, but the Longbow would have done it better.

It was the Battle of Crecy where the stupid French killed the Genoese Crossbowmen that retreated from the English arrows. The English had unstrung their bows and kept the strings dry during the rain before the battle whilst the Genoese couldn't do that with their Crossbows without tools.

But yeah anyway on topic, INB4 Katana better than European swords.

Offline Morris

• Duke
  • Renown: 507
  • Infamy: 147
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 02:25:06 pm »
+3

Offline Unwilling_Villain

• Knight
  • Renown: 40
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Feliz
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 02:33:07 pm »
50 pounds of draw weight lol.

An english longbow in the medieval period had a draw weight typically between 120-150 pounds, though there was one instance of a man drawing one with 200 pounds. There are very very few people who can actually use a longbow today because of the skill and massive strength you need to draw it. Children would practice from a very young age to use this weapon and skeletons found from this period had disfigured joints on the right shoulder, because to use a longbow repeatedly for such long periods of time would cause this damage.

This test is crap because it talks about pound to pound draw weight. Why would this matter? The longbow has far higher draw weight irl than yumi (who have between 30-75 pound draw weight) so would shoot further and faster and with more damage to the target. No longbowman would use a bow with 50 pound draw weight so this test is completely irrelavant to which bow is superior.

TLDR: Americans trying to study European and Asian history is stupid 90% of the time. If you believe this video I think you would love - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1281313/

Offline Glyph

• Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
  • Turbulence incoming
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Horris
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 03:29:03 pm »
I couldn't agree more with Villain! The types of wood available in Japan and other parts of the world weren't good enough to make bows with draw weights above +- 80lbs not in that age atleast. The Yumi was made form laminated layers of bamboo, which is a very good woodtype for resisting tension, but not compression, so they made the best out of it by making the bow a recurve and making it very long so the load on the wood was less per amount of length. Another reason why the drawweight couldn't go over 80 lbs on a Yumi was because the glue wouldn't hold much more than that
This man is one of the few still capable of shooting a real warbow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR0pvYkZy7A

Glyph you have obsessive Horse Archer and Horse hatred.
- Official diagnosis :)

Offline //saxon

• King
  • Renown: 1339
  • Infamy: 181
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • I'm just to dam goood 😎
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Saxon
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2014, 03:45:49 pm »
Yumi is claimed better in the video but in cRPG atm longbow is best bow and proven irl id say to be one of the deadliest bows ever.

but back in the iron age the longbow was defiantly one of the keys to win battles, welsh long bowmen were considered the deadliest archers going. and the longbow was defiantly a fucking beast against any enemy.

like a medieval mortar or artillery gun, fuck the catapult and Trebuchet, longbow was the shit, raining down arrows from loooong distances.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 03:50:42 pm by Saxon. »

Offline Algarn

• King
  • Renown: 1230
  • Infamy: 268
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Algarn, Jorick
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2014, 03:52:10 pm »
+2
like a medieval mortar or artillery gun, fuck the catapult and Trebuchet, longbow was the shit, raining down arrows from loooong distances.

In this game, with 5 PD and a short bow, you actually shoot further than with 6PD and a longbow. Fuck logic.

Offline Tomas_Miles_again

• Earl
  • Renown: 317
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: None
  • Game nicks: None anymore
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2014, 04:09:33 pm »
Something to do with longbow using heavier arrows...

Offline Herezy92

• Earl
  • Renown: 414
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Frog
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Herezy
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2014, 04:14:08 pm »
LongBow VS Yumi
Chuck Norris VS Silverster Stalone
Fixed

Offline woody

• Earl
  • Renown: 407
  • Infamy: 138
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Woody, Weebo, Wreky
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2014, 04:43:07 pm »
Longbows had nothing to do with victory at Agincourt? Fucking idiot.

Read some proper history books before talking such utter bollocks.

Crecy, Poitiers, Agincourt would all have been English defeats without the longbow. Armies comprised of foot knights protecting longbowmen didnt win one offs in weird conditions they consistently won engagements.

What is it with septics spouting so confidently on things they know nothing about?

Offline Switchtense

• King
  • Renown: 1137
  • Infamy: 137
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • poking you where the sun dont shine!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Unicorns, BIRD CLAN BEST CLAN!
  • Game nicks: All sorts of Switch's
  • IRC nick: Switchtense
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2014, 04:46:57 pm »
+2
What is it with septics spouting so confidently on things they know nothing about?

That is 99% of all posts on the internet or not?
For all the non-believers, look no further than this thread for proof that while strat battles are won/lost in NA3/EU3, strat wars are won and lost on the forums.

Offline Thryn

• Meme Artisan
  • Game Admin (trial)
  • Renown: 1177
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook
  • buff 2h tbh
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Confederacy
  • Game nicks: Thryn
  • IRC nick: Black Bastards
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2014, 07:43:39 pm »
+1
Just another thread where people see one thing and blow it out of proportion

10/10 you're all masters of medieval weaponry and are qualified to teach the world with your experience

/thread

We may not love corrupt government, but we must love our country.