Author Topic: Two questions on weapon animations  (Read 2172 times)

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Two questions on weapon animations
« on: April 19, 2014, 12:32:46 pm »
+11
Why is halberd not four-directional? Is this for balance reasons? Makes no sense to have pole weapons like halberds (and billhook and long voulge) with big cutting surfaces not be wielded with side-swings as they were historically (though overheads and stabs were common they are essentially very large axes).

And why is the flamberge zweihänder two-handed when it uses polearm animations except for the grip in idle position which for some reason is two-handed so it looks like some monstrosity out of World of Warcraft, the character holding it in the most awkward, unrealistic way possible?

Thank you for your time.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 12:44:00 pm by Angantyr »

Offline Austrian

• Game Admin
  • Renown: 1117
  • Infamy: 126
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Bro's are Bro's, forever.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Brotherhood
  • Game nicks: Austriano, Faust, Nestea
Re: Two questions on weapon animations
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 12:44:22 pm »
+1
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Joseph Porta

• King
  • Renown: 1029
  • Infamy: 234
  • cRPG Player
  • (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻. take all my upvotes! Part-time retard
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild Enthousiast,
  • Game nicks: Wy can't I upvote my own posts, Im a fucken genius, yo.
  • IRC nick: Joseph_Porta
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 12:47:52 pm »
+2
I guess they would be considered OP with that weapon length.
I loot corpses of their golden teeth.
But he'll be around somewhere between Heaven and The Devil, because neither of them will take him in, and he'll be farting loudly and singing a filthy song.

i'll be there at around
chadztime™

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 12:51:35 pm »
+11
I think we need a long four-directional polearm, it would fill a niche style of play that isn't really filled by the Glaive. Long Voulge four-directional please. It should be slow as hell, average damage. Make it bad for all I care, as long as it is more viable than the Scythe.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 02:39:11 pm »
I think we need a long four-directional polearm, it would fill a niche style of play that isn't really filled by the Glaive. Long Voulge four-directional please. It should be slow as hell, average damage. Make it bad for all I care, as long as it is more viable than the Scythe.

The problem with such a weapon design is that no matter how slow it is it will hit just as fast as any other weapon if it gets a damage value fitting a long weapon. Warband's balancing logic seems to be that longer means more damage. The problem is that high damage allows hitting early and slow swings are more controllable, making the task of hiltslashing with it even easier than with say a glaive.

Hence why to avoid "slow" weapons ending up being not slow, they should not get good damage.

Offline Dark_Blade

• Count
  • Renown: 210
  • Infamy: 100
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Dark_Blade, Fallen_Templar_the_Grey, Jeric_Whistlebone
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 03:18:13 pm »
in hands of some players such as you, Chase and some others even the slowest weapon becomming faster than the fastest ...

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 07:39:35 pm »
+1
Sure, it's worth a suggestion at least for the 4D polearms. Polearm overhead speed makes it compete with side swings. There's also a ton of long 2D polearms to choose from.

Flamberge, I don't know. I think people like to look cool.

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 01:07:19 am »
And why is the flamberge zweihänder two-handed when it uses polearm animations except for the grip in idle position which for some reason is two-handed so it looks like some monstrosity out of World of Warcraft, the character holding it in the most awkward, unrealistic way possible?
First of all, it uses the two-handed right swing animation. Secondly, no one's going to make custom animations for a single weapon, or at least they haven't yet. So there are no, more appropriate, alternatives to use.
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline Lemon

• Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 517
  • Infamy: 190
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Lemon Company
  • Game nicks: #Free Lemon 2012
  • IRC nick: Lemon
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 01:12:36 am »
First of all, it uses the two-handed right swing animation. Secondly, no one's going to make custom animations for a single weapon, or at least they haven't yet. So there are no, more appropriate, alternatives to use.

khyber knife
gf
Lemon Luther King JR, has a dream, where all trolls are treated with fairness and equality. Lemon's want to be able to vote, and ride in the front of the bus, and drink from the same fountain that we do. Please right this inequality

Offline Rhaelys

• Duke
  • Renown: 509
  • Infamy: 47
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: Rhaelys_BlockLeft_of_Chaos
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2014, 09:01:11 am »
+2
Flamberge really just needs a reduction in price to about 17k. Same thing with the poleaxes, all three could easily drop by 1k in price.

Bring back 4D on the long voulge, drop the speed to 80. If it seems to be too powerful, drop the swing damage by a point or two later.

Quote from: Uumdi
sweet of you guys to celebrate my birthday
wait you're talking about that devils lettuce arent you, god damnit
Quote from: Kreczor
yo you want to burn some sweet romaine tonight?
Quote from: Uumdi
yeah i smoke that dirty green shit fuck iceberg

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2014, 04:51:54 pm »
Sure, I forgot about the right swing animation. But I'm not thinking about custom animations, more along the lines of just having polearm grip for idling (and running).

Bring back 4D on the long voulge
Halberd and billhook, too, please.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 05:38:18 pm by Angantyr »

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 05:48:31 am »
Isn't the fauchard thing a long 4d pole arm?

Offline Johammeth

• King
  • Renown: 1077
  • Infamy: 81
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ConnectiKUTT
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2014, 07:19:21 am »
+2
Fauchard also has the distinction of owning the most preposterous "hey now your thrusts do pierce damage" spike in the game.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2014, 10:53:26 am »
Isn't the fauchard thing a long 4d pole arm?
Yes, but it has laughable cut damage and very high speed, which makes it gay instead of manly.

The problem with such a weapon design is that no matter how slow it is it will hit just as fast as any other weapon if it gets a damage value fitting a long weapon. Warband's balancing logic seems to be that longer means more damage. The problem is that high damage allows hitting early and slow swings are more controllable, making the task of hiltslashing with it even easier than with say a glaive.

Hence why to avoid "slow" weapons ending up being not slow, they should not get good damage.
While it is obviously true that high damage weapons can deal damage earlier, I think you are greatly overstating the issue. Perhaps this is due your tendency to play fully naked, which allows any weapon to nearly insta-hit, however with armour this is less the case. Speed rating trumps damage when it comes to quickness of attacks. A Long Maul is still a very slow weapon, it's hiltslashes are simply nowhere near as fast as a fast lower damage weapon like a Hafted Blade, at least against more than 20 body armour. A Longsword hiltslashes faster than a Great Maul. Besides, I would recommend Glaive range damage anyway for this type of weapon, only then while having like 75-80 speed, being unbalanced, but having 15 more length. Hardly OP, but I so want to play with it.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 10:56:36 am by Teeth »

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2014, 11:37:03 am »
Yes, but it has laughable cut damage and very high speed, which makes it gay instead of manly.
While it is obviously true that high damage weapons can deal damage earlier, I think you are greatly overstating the issue. Perhaps this is due your tendency to play fully naked, which allows any weapon to nearly insta-hit, however with armour this is less the case. Speed rating trumps damage when it comes to quickness of attacks. A Long Maul is still a very slow weapon, it's hiltslashes are simply nowhere near as fast as a fast lower damage weapon like a Hafted Blade, at least against more than 20 body armour. A Longsword hiltslashes faster than a Great Maul. Besides, I would recommend Glaive range damage anyway for this type of weapon, only then while having like 75-80 speed, being unbalanced, but having 15 more length. Hardly OP, but I so want to play with it.

Believe it or not, I have a level 31 2h alt with 69 body armor which I played regularly. My experience is that increasing armor rating reinforces the superiority of long and powerful weapon over fast weapons when it comes to hiltslashing. In general I would prefer a longsword over a great bardiche, but if my goal is to hiltslash more easily and do more damage each time I do, I'd always go with the bardiche. Speed rating actually becomes more important with weapons that are too weak to hiltslash with.