Author Topic: Shield Changes/Buff for Norman and Board  (Read 664 times)

Offline protox2k

• Earl
  • Renown: 304
  • Infamy: 67
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mango
  • Game nicks: Soft_Juicy_Mango
  • IRC nick: Kev
Shield Changes/Buff for Norman and Board
« on: March 23, 2014, 05:49:46 pm »
+8
After using the Yellow Norman Shield for a good amount a time this is what i suggest to change.... (Keep in mind i have 3 shield atm)
ALL NORMAL NORMAN SHIELD ARE THE SAME

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
    Type:Shield
Requirement:3 shield
Weight:6
Slots:-
Upkeep:213 gold
Shop price:3,054 gold
Value:1,527 gold
Speed:85------------------------->89 ( All the Norman shields are neglected for this reason and i suggest a speed amount to anything under 93)
Width:50
Height:95
Body armor:19---------------> 20 ( Threshold against range)
Hit points:380

Blue and Purple Kite Shield
Type:Shield--------> ( WORST SHIELD IN THE GAME!)
(click to show/hide)
Weight:6.5------->(why is this heavier then the normans? Less everything in size! Is the 24 body armor weighting it down?)
Upkeep:248 gold
Shop price:3,556 gold
Value:1,778 gold
Speed:80----->? ( Idk this one is hard but somewhere close to the degree of the Norman shields)
Width:48
Height:85
Body armor:24
Hit points:380
Looking at this shield makes me want to kill someone.. It cost more then the shitty Norman shields and have less speed, Width and Height. Not to mention .5 more weight and same hit points. Upside 24 Body armor YAY.......

Board Shield
Weight:7
Upkeep:260 gold
Shop price:3,721 gold
Value:1,861 gold
Speed:81------>? ( Idk about this one... It's huge so i understand if its left that way)
Width:56
Height:94
Body armor:17----->(Wait..... WTF This huge monster meant to hold a strong shield wall only has 17 body armor! Arbs can hit through pretty often)
Hit points:475

Heavy Board Shield
Requirement:4 shield
Weight:9
Upkeep:374 gold
Shop price:5,348 gold
Value:2,674 gold
Speed:77------->(Again could be argued if it should be buffed!)
Width:56
Height:94
Body armor:17-------> Increase ( heavy version gets more hit points but same body armor :L
Hit points:600

I could go on for days about a lot of shields but these are the ones that should of been looked at a long time ago.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
Re: Shield Changes/Buff for Norman and Board
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 05:03:43 am »
+5
Even with the recent changes, some of the slower non-round shields are still lacking. The tradeoffs are mostly there for hp & armour, but the large drop in speed of like 7+ is still a penalty that most would rather not risk. Looking back at the blue and purple shield, that needs a large increase. Must have overlooked it. A good 3-5 speed buff on some of them is needed (5 for the blue & purple and maybe a few other tweaks). That way, they become relatively flexible to use once loomed, but the speed difference is still noticeable compared to other shields. Norman/black white red shield looks fine to me.

I'm hesitant about touching the stats on the heavy norman shields, since the durability is excellent for those.

As for the board shields, the hp:armour ratio is compared to other shields of the same difficulty. It has to have less armour since it has the most hp by far. +3 is also pretty decent against bolts, too. Exceptions are the fur covered round shield that's already getting changed, as well as the long pavise shield that sacrifices width for better armour/hp. A small speed increase would help, though (along with long pavise).

Offline protox2k

• Earl
  • Renown: 304
  • Infamy: 67
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mango
  • Game nicks: Soft_Juicy_Mango
  • IRC nick: Kev
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 07:58:56 am »
Even with the recent changes, some of the slower non-round shields are still lacking. The tradeoffs are mostly there for hp & armour, but the large drop in speed of like 7+ is still a penalty that most would rather not risk. Looking back at the blue and purple shield, that needs a large increase. Must have overlooked it. A good 3-5 speed buff on some of them is needed (5 for the blue & purple and maybe a few other tweaks). That way, they become relatively flexible to use once loomed, but the speed difference is still noticeable compared to other shields. Norman/black white red shield looks fine to me.

I'm hesitant about touching the stats on the heavy norman shields, since the durability is excellent for those.

As for the board shields, the hp:armour ratio is compared to other shields of the same difficulty. It has to have less armour since it has the most hp by far. +3 is also pretty decent against bolts, too. Exceptions are the fur covered round shield that's already getting changed, as well as the long pavise shield that sacrifices width for better armour/hp. A small speed increase would help, though (along with long pavise).
Great San thanks for the input!

Offline Camaris

• Count
  • Renown: 223
  • Infamy: 56
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Neresto_HRE
  • IRC nick: Neresto_HRE
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 07:07:59 pm »
+2
In my opinion round shields should be in general be a bit slower and heavier (bigger -> slower).
Other shields should be more agile and/or dont be so heavy.

So you would have a tradeoff between fast shields with bad cover and slow shields with high cover.

I dont want to nerf round shields => make every other shield with less weight and a lot faster (+5 speed for all of them but the fastest [like knightly heater already fast enough]).
Some of those just could get faster while keeping weight to have another class of fast shields with power agains crushthrough.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 05:26:41 pm »
Some of those just could get faster while keeping weight to have another class of fast shields with power agains crushthrough.

I'm pretty confident that there is a bug where shield weight isn't applied correctly as it relates to crushthrough (and block stun, but that's another matter). A 5kg shield will get crushed nearly every time, but a 5kg weapon block is much more difficult to crush.

Since pretty much every shield except the Steel Shield will be crushed nearly every time, you might as well just use a light shield and use the extra mobility to dodge the maul overhead. Unlike with weapons, higher shield weight is almost universally a bad thing.

As to the OP, you are correct and I'm glad San will take another look at this class of shields. However, I think shield stat balance is a minor issue compared to the skill itself, which needs some serious work.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 11:18:05 am »
I'd rather buff the width of all those square shield back to a point where the coverage actually coincides with the model instead of being smaller.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 03:37:43 pm »
If you happen to have accurate width measurements, feel free to tell me.