Author Topic: Chambering held attacks, is it possible?  (Read 1848 times)

Offline Arthur_

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 557
  • Infamy: 148
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Basileia ton Romaion
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Arthur
Re: Chambering held attacks, is it possible?
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2014, 02:17:40 pm »
+1
Can do, is possible
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Jackie who?

Offline //saxon

• King
  • Renown: 1339
  • Infamy: 181
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • I'm just to dam goood 😎
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Saxon
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2014, 03:01:45 pm »
+2
in theory chambering is exactly like blocking but instead of pressing the block button, you press the attack button, just timing it.

so i have learned that if you can use the attack button just like the block button, you can chamber every attack your enemy throws at you, its my new play style but it always has a benefit that if your opponent feints an attack then your chamber attempt will hit him anyway, win win for me because if he didn't faint i would of chambered it as well, its a just my shitty mouse it just can not for the life of me get accurate movement detection,  need a new one soon as.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 03:06:44 pm by Saxon. »

Offline DaveUKR

• Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 242
  • cRPG Player
  • Small rain lays great dust
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2014, 03:51:09 pm »
+2
This is not how it works. You can only chamber an attack by drawing back your weapon (starting an attack) not by releasing it...

I my experience chambering held attacks is mainly luck or just getting a feeling of how long your opponent holds his attacks.
If someone is "ever-holding" you can always try to attack the same direction and hope that you will be lucky.

But there is no reason to try chambering >1 sec holds, since if you miss the chamber he will hit you before you hit him, and depending on your weapon and WPF you might not even be able to retract your attack to block his.

In my opinion holding attacks is too powerful. There is hardly no incentive not to do short holds (>1 sec) against decent players who do not spam randomly.

Yeah-yeah, should have said counters instead of "chambers".

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2014, 04:10:58 pm »
+3
You can chamber every attack possible in this game (even couched lance, even with fist, at least since last patch), whether they are held/feinted/cross-feinted 360° jump or anything, as long as they release an attack animation you can chamber it.

Chambering held attacks is way harder since you will know when he will release the actual attack ONLY when he does release it.
Chambering normal attacks (without feint/hold) is easier since the "chambering" before its release attack animation is a clue of when you should then use your own "chambering" move against his attack animation.
But then, the difficulty still heavily depends on "how" your mind works around chambering people, its a special skill that requires special attention or relaxation!

The main problem with chamber is mostly the word "chamber" itself, not many people understand what it means and they often confuse it with other things.

Like putting a bullet in the chamber of a gun, "chamber" = what you do before firing/attacking.
In the case of melee weapons, "chamber" = moving your weapon into "attack ready" phase, thats the first half of the animation when you click an attack (you cant hit with that animation, you can only use it to "chamber block")
"Chamber blocking" or chambering (or offensive parry) = moving your weapon into "attack ready" phase in a way where the movement of said weapon deflect (block) an incoming attack (the second part of the attack animation, which is the deadly one), using the first half of the animation in a useful way.

The time window and the body angle of chamber blocking is extremely small.
In the case of swings, you can only use opposite swings to block an incoming attack.
In the case of thrust/overhead, you can chamber a thrust with both thrust/overhead, but you can chamber a overhead only with overhead.

Would be cool if cRPG allowed chambering of any attack direction with any other attack direction, as long as the physics implied the weapons deflect it somewhere in the chamber animation.
Would be also cool if cRPG allowed projectile interaction with chamber animation, allowing for projectile deflection (would be incredibly hardcore to pull though).

TL;DR: chamber so swag, saxon l2p
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 04:17:01 pm by Butan »

Offline Macropus

• King
  • Renown: 1668
  • Infamy: 296
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macropus
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2014, 09:08:06 pm »
+1
For people who use inverted controls, chambering held attacks is often easier than chambering normal attacks.

At least for me it is, 95% of my chambers are against held attacks.
Wow, this is actually surprisingly true for me. I'm not good at chambering, but I chamber held strikes relatively often, not sure how is that linked with inverted attack directions.

Offline Rhaelys

• Duke
  • Renown: 509
  • Infamy: 47
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: Rhaelys_BlockLeft_of_Chaos
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2014, 11:29:32 pm »
+2
Wow, this is actually surprisingly true for me. I'm not good at chambering, but I chamber held strikes relatively often, not sure how is that linked with inverted attack directions.

It's a natural consequence of the way you block versus the way you attack.

1) If you want to chamber an attack coming on your right, you would (assuming standard positioning) need to perform an attack that starts on your right and ends on your left, correct?
2) This is true for both normal and inverted attack directions.
3) For people with normal attack directions, you move your mouse to the right and press RMB to block right. To perform an attack that starts on your right and ends on your left, you move your mouse to the right and press LMB to attack right-to-left.
4) For people with inverted attack directions, you move your mouse to the right and press RMB to block right. To perform an attack that starts on your right and ends on your left, you move your mouse to the left and press LMB to attack right-to-left.

Thus, for people using inverted attack directions, blocking and chambering the same direction requires opposite mouse movements, which is why it's hard to reflexively chamber un-held attacks (you can do it if you're focusing on chambering, but you're usually focusing on blocking first). Chambering held attacks only requires a sense of when your opponent will release his or her attack and the correct timing; at that point it becomes easier to chamber because you're no longer focusing on blocking the held attack, but rather focusing on the chamber. Practice and experience can improve one's sense of when to try for a chamber in the first place.

Quote from: Uumdi
sweet of you guys to celebrate my birthday
wait you're talking about that devils lettuce arent you, god damnit
Quote from: Kreczor
yo you want to burn some sweet romaine tonight?
Quote from: Uumdi
yeah i smoke that dirty green shit fuck iceberg

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2014, 12:30:23 am »
+4
Yes it is most definitely possible. It is still the exact same mechanic, namely making your chamber animation hit an incoming attack. It is just much harder because it requires you to react only to the shorter release animation instead of a full chamber+release animation. If it is not working for you, that means you mess up the timing, most likely because you are simply too slow. I wouldn't recommend trying it anyway, held attacks are the counter to chambers and if someone sees that you are trying to chamber they can make it fairly impossible for you to do. Many players good players continously do slight holds and there is really very little reason not to, which is why chambering is very situational and I mostly use it in battle situations to be able to dispatch defensive shielders or mediocre players quicker.

so i have learned that if you can use the attack button just like the block button, you can chamber every attack your enemy throws at you, its my new play style but it always has a benefit that if your opponent feints an attack then your chamber attempt will hit him anyway, win win for me because if he didn't faint i would of chambered it as well, its a just my shitty mouse it just can not for the life of me get accurate movement detection,  need a new one soon as.
It is just not that simple, chambering is not a win-win scenario. Chambering often gets you slightly more win but at a much higher risk of getting loss. Slight holds simply fall outside this formula, because they do not allow you chamber of just plainly hit. Also Feints are often fast enough to lure your chamber attempt and yet hit you first. Chambering is never going to be a proper substitute for blocking, it is just another tool in the bag that will only be useful if you apply it correctly next to regular blocking.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2014, 03:09:15 am »
+1
Also Feints are often fast enough to lure your chamber attempt and yet hit you first.

Even on my 20 2H WPF + flamberge I can chamber a feint before he hits me with the real follow-up, except against very very high speed players, so I think the point stands that being a good chamber blocker can net you invincibility from attacks + single feinting in most cases.

But I agree on your point on held attacks, they are an easy counter to chamber and will make your life impossible if you insist on doing if you're not a god of cRPG.

Offline BlueKnight

• Marshall
  • Renown: 983
  • Infamy: 200
  • If you run, you will only die tired...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2014, 04:29:58 pm »
+1
Yes it is most definitely possible. It is still the exact same mechanic, namely making your chamber animation hit an incoming attack. It is just much harder because it requires you to react only to the shorter release animation instead of a full chamber+release animation. If it is not working for you, that means you mess up the timing, most likely because you are simply too slow. I wouldn't recommend trying it anyway, held attacks are the counter to chambers and if someone sees that you are trying to chamber they can make it fairly impossible for you to do. Many players good players continously do slight holds and there is really very little reason not to, which is why chambering is very situational and I mostly use it in battle situations to be able to dispatch defensive shielders or mediocre players quicker.

It is just not that simple, chambering is not a win-win scenario. Chambering often gets you slightly more win but at a much higher risk of getting loss. Slight holds simply fall outside this formula, because they do not allow you chamber of just plainly hit. Also Feints are often fast enough to lure your chamber attempt and yet hit you first. Chambering is never going to be a proper substitute for blocking, it is just another tool in the bag that will only be useful if you apply it correctly next to regular blocking.
^^^^^ truth

Chambering doesn't give you an advantage anymore, since everyone with decent blocking skill can block your chambered hits or realise when you re about to chamber. Also the risk is far more than its reward. Just keep up with your current playstyle :P
^^^^^ truth

Chambers ain't worth it. Most of good melees will block ~+80% of your chambers even if they are hiltslashes. Also once you get used to chambering the noninverted 95% of the cRPG population, you will have some real problems with the inverted-mouse-movement-users. As you have this chambering reaction coded in your muscle memory, you will often try to chamber even though you know that it ain't going to help you much and you will expose yourself with each chamber-attempt. Chambering should be kept as a surprise attack, else everyone will just hold his attack against you for 0,2-1sec or do tiny wiggle to trick your timing. People will quickly adjust and learn how to fight against your chambers.

Chambering prove useful against everyone from time to time but it can't become your pattern. Most of the time chambers are just for the show off while killing, or to surprise an enemy, or to speed up the pace of the fight, or (when you have a pretty fast weapon) to hit the enemy while he's trying to feint. Recently I tried chambering a sideswing from the incoming 1h cav and succeeded (1st try beechez  8-)). Had to focus on footwork to make sure that I won't get bumpslashed.

Still it's good to know how to chamber if you do some time-to-time trolling with some daggers/knives or want to show a lancer how you don't give a feck about his attacks/couches.

I prolly misunderstood but:

Body movement says more than weapon's movement. That's why you can chamber players with invisible weapons (after patches when game is bugged). You get used to body movement and it prepares you to the attack direction and the rest is just timing which is kinda easy when it's only timing that you have to be focused on. Before the enemy starts his attack, you subconciously know the direction that it will be coming from, which makes your reactions quicker/more precise if your guess was right, if not, you just block. I have troubles chambering players using inverted because they attack from the opposite side that they should ^^
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 04:51:19 pm by BlueKnight »

Skyrim UI

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2014, 04:45:15 pm »
+1
I notice lately that when my 1h thrusts are chambered, it won't let me block my opponent's post-chamber attack, even with my 103 speed shield. Makes fighting awlpikers/etc very difficult, since every time they get a lucky chamber, they get a free hit. Is this the new "block stun" in action, or is my problem unique to shields and their slower-than-manual blocks?

Offline BlueKnight

• Marshall
  • Renown: 983
  • Infamy: 200
  • If you run, you will only die tired...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2014, 04:52:19 pm »
+1
I notice lately that when my 1h thrusts are chambered, it won't let me block my opponent's post-chamber attack, even with my 103 speed shield. Makes fighting awlpikers/etc very difficult, since every time they get a lucky chamber, they get a free hit. Is this the new "block stun" in action, or is my problem unique to shields and their slower-than-manual blocks?

I think it's the stab-stun duration and it works very similar to all classes now. You can use it against everyone.

Skyrim UI

Offline Nordwolf

• Earl
  • Renown: 492
  • Infamy: 46
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Nordwolf, 4 other Nordwolfs, Wolf_in_the_Van Victory, Earngrim, Core, Farewell, Akaio_BlackSpear +**
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2014, 09:28:52 am »
It works for me most of the time - I just "feint" to the side of an enemie's hold, you either block or chamber.

About getting the timing right - when you get a held attack, it looks different than it actually is, at least from my experience. I think that when you have a feeling that you get it right in reality you do it a bit later, not sure exactly though.