Author Topic: Empire (Documentary)  (Read 551 times)

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
Empire (Documentary)
« on: January 16, 2014, 04:45:54 pm »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Empire is a 2012 BBC and Open University co-production written and presented by Jeremy Paxman charting the rise over five episodes of the British Empire from the trading companies of India to the rule over a
quarter of the worlds population and the legacy in the modern world.[1]

I thought it was pretty interesting at least :P ( I do love reading/watching about the empire)

Episode one: A Taste for Power
(click to show/hide)
Episode two: Making Ourselves at Home
(click to show/hide)
Episode three: Playing the Game
(click to show/hide)
Episode five: Doing Good
(click to show/hide)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empire_(2012_TV_series)

Reception

The series has received some criticism in respect to its handling of the subject matter while trying not to offend. Associate editor of The Guardian, Michael White, stated that "the structure of the programme was ramshackle" and he found the narrative to be "episodic and superficial", stating that Paxman himself "was diffident charm itself" as opposed to treating "the former subjects of empire with his customary ... abrasiveness". While White also found "the photography pretty as always", he concluded that "the overall effect was curiously patronising, serving to reinforce the impression that the great man was basically on a jolly and going through the motions".[2] Stuart Jeffries, also for The Guardian, offered similar views, concluding that "Jeremy Paxman fails to argue strongly enough".[3] Nick Wood, for the Daily Mail, stated that Paxmans approach was "all too predictably straight out of the cultural commissar's lecture notes", calling the series "cartoon propaganda"; Wood concluded that it "may be Mr Paxman, cowed like those poor dupes in 1897, was merely issuing a coded cry for help, hoping that a latter-day viceroy like the imperious Curzon, might free him from the mental chains of the Beeb's script writers"
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk