Author Topic: When are you going to fix the 2h stab?  (Read 1897 times)

Offline Canary

• Marshall
  • Renown: 826
  • Infamy: 202
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
Re: When are you going to fix the 2h stab?
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2014, 05:34:34 pm »
+2
Except it still works after it is supposed to stop working ? Like overheads ofc.

As a 2h that does 50% stabs in normal battle situations I have no fucking clue what you are on about. Insta-stab, check, +80 reach, check, curve your stab around teammates, check, active for way too long allowing drag-in or walk-in hits, check. Pretty broken.

1h stab, pole stab, 2h stab are all broken. 2h stab has always been broken and now they made the other stabs as broken. 2h stab still has the longest animation though, but also the lowest damage values. All 3 stabs need a nerf-tweak, which in the case of 2h is especially long overdue.

Whoops, apparently I should have toned down the sarcasm for you guys. I was responding to Chosen1's use of very vague terms to describe what he meant by using them in a way that made more sense  from a semantic standpoint (a way which, I think, was the opposite of what he meant).

As for what I really think: The 2h stab is a good attack direction. It has always been one of the best attack animations, it continues to be even after a handful of changes it received long ago to reduce its effectiveness; and in comparison to attack directions with other weapons that have recently been improved it still holds its own. With many of the other animations having received sweetspot improvements (along with a lot of statistical item balance over the years), I no longer feel fully outclassed playing against someone using a 2hander who knows how to thrust, but obviously they're not helpless when they try to use it, either.

First of all I explained my difficulty with punishing 2h stabs by using stun, and I think I am not the only one who isn't able to do that consistently. So if you say that thrust stun is the big old counter to the 2h stab, it's not for a big part of the playerbase, it is also not as useful as a counter in normal game situations compared to duel.

I disagree; in a "normal game situation", such as in the battle server, fighting multiple people while using a 2handed weapon means that a split second of thrust stun is going to open you up to exponentially more potential incoming hits that will connect. If you're fighting a 2hander and your teammate blocks their thrust, you have a much easier time hitting them. Thrust stun is much more of a downside when more people are involved.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2014, 06:00:51 pm »
+2
Thrust-stun is most easily punished at the very end of the animation from my experience.

Very early block stuns a lot too, so it pushes people to lol-stab instead of stabbing directly into someone's face.

In a sense, the game does tell us that lol-stabbing is the only effective stab with 2H (if you are against a good blocker). This and ending a successfull combo/feint with a sucessfull "normal" stab, but this is harder to pull than just loling.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2014, 06:12:23 pm »
+1
I disagree; in a "normal game situation", such as in the battle server, fighting multiple people while using a 2handed weapon means that a split second of thrust stun is going to open you up to exponentially more potential incoming hits that will connect. If you're fighting a 2hander and your teammate blocks their thrust, you have a much easier time hitting them. Thrust stun is much more of a downside when more people are involved.

I think Teeth was referring to the fact that when assisting someone against an enemy that can possibly do a targetswitch against you, the stab is by far the best attack to hold, being the quickest to connect, therefore making interrupting any targetswitching attempts much easier.

Note that this makes stabs particularly powerful against light armor and poor against heavy armor despite piercing damage, as it allows extremely quick interrupts and spam at facehug range against light armor, but simply bounces against heavy armor.

Thrust stun is longest at the very end of the animation, which means doing that against all 1h and polearms with the exception of the pike and maybe the longspear is incredibly difficult (getting a late block stun on a pike would be useless anyway with the time it takes to run forward and attack back).

The way I see it, 2h stabs need their animation/sweetspot stuff changed and put back in line with the others, and a damage buff (I would call that reverting the now useless ancient nerfs). If that is not enough, change the thrust stun to be the same as 1h and polearms.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2217
  • Infamy: 170
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2014, 06:14:58 pm »
Twohanded thrust stun can be nasty at times but most of the time it isn't, especially if you have shitload of 2H wpf and use Great Sword or faster weapon.

Offline Elmetiacos

• Count
  • Renown: 175
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
  • You've probably teamkilled me
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Hot_Chick_with_a_Sword, Dark_Rose_Knight
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2014, 12:08:29 pm »
+2
2H stabs should be removed or damage cut in half: if you want to stab with a 2H sword, you should have to halfsword.
 :P
The word is "anyway" not "anyways". You are not Gabby Hayes.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login