Author Topic: Oliver Stone's 'Untold History of the United States' documentary series  (Read 2204 times)

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
A step in the right direction for popular history, I think, cutting through some misconceptions. Recommended.

Click

Oliver Stone and American University historian Peter J. Kuznick, began working on the project in 2008. Stone, Kuznick and British screenwriter Matt Graham co-wrote the script.[5] The documentary miniseries for Showtime had a working title Oliver Stone's Secret History of America. It covers "the reasons behind the Cold War with the Soviet Union, U.S. President Harry Truman's decision to drop the atomic bomb on Japan, and changes in America's global role since the fall of Communism."[6] Stone is the director and narrator of all ten episodes. The series is a re-examination of some of the under-reported and darkest parts of American modern history using little known documents and newly uncovered archival material. The series looks beyond official versions of events to the deeper causes and implications and explores how events from the past still have resonant themes for the present day. Stone said: "From the outset I've looked at this project as a legacy to my children, and a way to understand the times I've lived through. I hope it can contribute to a more global insight into our American history." -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_Stone's_Untold_History_of_the_United_States
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 09:32:07 pm by Angantyr »

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
Re: Oliver Stone's 'Untold History of the United States' documentary series
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 10:16:25 pm »
watched the first episode. surprised to see an american show focus so much on how the soviets did more in the war against Germany than the US. Seems to make the point that Axis mistakes and the lack of any real alliance between Germany and Japan was what led to the survival of Britain USSR and the USA than anything our side did. I mean i did learn these things at higher level history education but its nice to see it in a popular history show :P (i was always told that dropping the A bomb was more of a show to warn the USSR than to force japan to surrender i wonder if thats the view of the next episodes)
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 10:44:02 pm »
+3
That soviet propaganda at some points though, eugh.

It's a bit too much

Yes, I know it states facts about their wrongdoings as well but you know what I'm talking about if you watched it.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 10:49:11 pm by Christo »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 11:17:48 pm »
+2
well it does pretty much just state facts most of the time. The soviets were the biggest cause of nazee deaths but they couldnt have done it without american aid and nazee incompetance
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline Angantyr

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 11:54:29 am »
+2
Please remember, the aim of the documentary is to emphasize what is often misrepresented therefore the perspective is, I think, both expected and acceptable.

The Soviet Union's part in WWII is hardly controversial, atrocities are also shown so I can bear with some effects and music when the Russian people do some extraordinary things, as with other nations in the series.

Allies facing 10 German divisions on the Western Front, Russians facing 200 German divisions on the Eastern Front, is an undeniable fact in the historical record.

Offline Torost

• Count
  • Renown: 292
  • Infamy: 109
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 12:52:45 pm »
It is some time since I saw this docuseries ,so my memory might be abit off.

I remember a part where it got discussed how the russians were able to shoot down US spyplanes.
At the time, everyone believed it was great advances in russian surface to air missiles. The americans were shocked.

What really happened was that russians managed to place a bomb way in advance on the spyplane while it made a pitstop in turkey ithink.
And the bomb got detonated while the plane was above russian airspace.

That is some high class cold war trickery.. impossible to know what is true or not.. but still fascinating.

The docu series is a great watch for anyone that has not seen it yet.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 02:56:00 pm »

Offline Turkhammer

• Earl
  • Renown: 376
  • Infamy: 194
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 07:26:18 pm »
Oliver Stone is not known for his even handed treatment of facts and history.  His documentaries are more like docudramas.  I take anything he has to say with a very large grain of salt.

Offline Turkhammer

• Earl
  • Renown: 376
  • Infamy: 194
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 07:31:58 pm »
Please remember, the aim of the documentary is to emphasize what is often misrepresented therefore the perspective is, I think, both expected and acceptable.

The Soviet Union's part in WWII is hardly controversial, atrocities are also shown so I can bear with some effects and music when the Russian people do some extraordinary things, as with other nations in the series.

Allies facing 10 German divisions on the Western Front, Russians facing 200 German divisions on the Eastern Front, is an undeniable fact in the historical record.

The aim of any documentary should be to be factual.

Read Anthony Beevor's book on Normandy.  The concentration of men per mile of front and therefore intensity of fighting, was higher than any place on the eastern front.  Another undeniable fact in the historical record.  They also faced more than 10 German divisions on the west front.  Did the documentary give that figure?  It is just wrong.

I do agree that the soviets killed more Germans and lost more people during the war than all the other allies put together.

Offline Angantyr

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 11:46:41 am »
Should've written that the Allies (fighting in the Mediterranean before the opening of the second front) rarely fought more than 10 German Divisions, while Russia fought 200, waiting for help. My fault not the documentary's, I keep referring to the Mediterranean as the original western front.

On the Western Front, when it was finally opened, it was more like 70-100 German divisions (if I remember correctly), plus those on the Eastern Front was much decimated at this time of the war.

edit:
To your critique of the series I have to ask have you watched it? Peter J. Kuznick is a respected historian, and a point of the series was to use uncontroversial, mainstream sources. Do you argue against any points in particular? And yes, the aim of the documentary is also to be factual.

http://www.american.edu/cas/faculty/kuznick.cfm
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 05:20:00 pm by Angantyr »