Poll

What do you want in your DTV map?

Bots spawn/attack from 2 or more directions.
25 (15%)
Bots spawn/attack from generally one direction. (Very linear).
32 (19.2%)
More open terrain to allow for better fighting and various tactics.
40 (24%)
Narrow paths (spam overhead) where the only way bots getting past you is over your dead body, which might result from getting shot in the back of your head by teammates.
20 (12%)
Dynamic props (i.e. Ballistas and portcullis for gatehouses)
42 (25.1%)
Ballistas? No thank you. My MW Light Crossbow is enough.
2 (1.2%)
Something else (post in comments)
6 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 73

Author Topic: Thranduil's DTV maps. Feedback Thread. (Currently on map-making hiatus)  (Read 9456 times)

Offline Thranduil

• Earl
  • Renown: 367
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
  • what? ... What? ... WHAT?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Ward of Mithrim
  • Game nicks: Warden_Thranduil The_Doctor
Re: Thranduil's DTV maps. Taking suggestions/requests.
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2014, 12:40:28 am »
+2
(click to show/hide)

Okay. Thought I'd give a heads up as to the progress of the map and the direction it is currently going.

I think all I remembered was "shack", "ballista on top of shack", "palm tree" and "island" at first, so.... This might be a far cry from what you actually wanted... hehe... Far Cry.

Description:
The depth of the Viscount's purse knows no end. Now he's purchased a small island in the middle of the ocean! He didn't even check its history. As it turns out, the ruins on the island were a common hiding place for pirates and smugglers. Now you've found a locked treasure chest - not that you're telling the Viscount. You can only hope there is something good in the chest, like rum. Unfortunately, there's no time to find out. You are surrounded by pirates....is that Keira Knightley in a wedding dress?!

Here's a couple pics so far. Not everything has been placed yet. (And yeah, I'm trying out a texture pack.)
(click to show/hide)
Except for the center of the pool in the island, the water is shallow. The rock formations will be blocked off with barriers. The shack has large entrances on all sides.

At first I was going to leave it open without the ruined fort, but then I remembered the ranged bots and thought, "rape!" A tiny island would leave little room to maneuver around the viscount as well. So what of your checklist do I still even have?

Map name - nope. I'm calling it Lichens Island.  :)
Shack - check
Tiny Island - nope
Big lake - the biggest
Viscount inside shack - check
Ballista on top of shack - check
Palm tree with treehouse - ehh..... probably not happening. Bots gotta reach up there. We'll see. Maybe a platform to shoot from.
Bots spawn on shore and walk from multiple directions - check
Under water - not so check

I don't think it'll make it in time for the next patch, though all my other maps have been updated.... just gotta make sure Fips has 'em. *hint hint*  :mrgreen:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kamirane

• Count
  • Renown: 217
  • Infamy: 18
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2014, 04:05:34 am »
I dont know if its possible. But maybe an interessting Idea:

Per 10 Players, 1 random Player(maybe also a dead one?) gets switched to Bot side and fights with them. With his own original Equip he has choosen at start. (Even maybe he can change equipment before Wave starts again) So instead of the "Bosses Weren, Mylet @ Co. 1-3 Players will join the Bots.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 04:12:40 am by Kamirane »

Offline Thranduil

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2014, 08:31:11 am »
Hmm... an interesting idea, Kamirane, but not something a map maker/scene editor can do. That would be up to the devs. Though, just thinking about it, if I were switched to bots' side, I'd go tking all the bots so everyone could move to the next round and get even more xp and gold.  :mrgreen:

Offline Kamirane

• Count
  • Renown: 217
  • Infamy: 18
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2014, 09:03:04 am »
... Though, just thinking about it, if I were switched to bots' side, I'd go tking all the bots so everyone could move to the next round and get even more xp and gold.  :mrgreen:

i am sure there can be a solution. Something like 3 TK´s and round ends, like it does when V dies.

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2014, 11:47:57 am »
Haha, I always wished something like that could happen... back in the day whenever one of the devs did surprisingly well (gotta remember bots were really shitty back in the day) someone would always shout "omg weren/varric/shik/mylet/etc. is that really you?!?!" Unfortunately they never spoke back to tell us. :(

However, from my experience with DTV, some of the DTV heroes are just as great at PvP as they are at DTV while many players aren't. Should one of the guys who is good at PvP be swapped... it's gonna be shitty for everyone else (assuming he tries hard). Also, if he only spawns on wave 3... well, that kinda sucks he has to wait 2 rounds, just to (presumably) die pretty quickly since the odds are most likely against him. Also, how would you reward the loner? "Oh, congrats, you just shit on all others present in the server, and everyone hates you now... have a large lump of gold and xp you greedy nerd!" or "Good job, you just made your team lose to peasants, enjoy your meager winnings!"

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline Patoson

• Marshall
  • Renown: 784
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 14, 2014, 12:50:57 pm »
+1
I'd advise against the new gate. The old one was much better in my opinion. It's good to have an open map where bots easily reach the viscount and don't get stuck against an ezmode shieldwall for a change.  :)

Offline Thranduil

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2014, 07:44:19 pm »
+1
I'd advise against the new gate. The old one was much better in my opinion. It's good to have an open map where bots easily reach the viscount and don't get stuck against an ezmode shieldwall for a change.  :)

Luckily for you, Fips hasn't downloaded the latest version after all the barrier bit, so opening the gate was a quick fix.  :)  Besides, there is only one bot spawn out there. Having an entrance as narrow as the other side is for 4 bot spawns is probably overkill.

*** And I stayed up way too late last night working on Lichens Island. It's fairly open. Borderline too open for the bots I think, but since they have a tendency to head for the Viscount if no player distracts them, I think it will be ok. I've moved the spawns around a little, and added barriers around the edges of the map. You will be able to tell a barrier is there either because of a line of walls, a line of large rocks, rocky terrain (though that's only something to watch out for in the fortress), or a wall of sea plants.....I'm working on the sea plants now. After that....well, ... it might just be ready for a quick host test, then a submission. Like I said before, I don't think it will make it this patch, but we will see. This is my last new DTV map for a while. I need to actually sit down and learn Java programming so I can find a job with my engineering degree.  :?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 08:26:18 pm by Thranduil »

Offline dynamike

• King
  • Renown: 1212
  • Infamy: 187
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Let's be friends again?
    • View Profile
    • The Remnants Clan Website
  • Faction: Stratia
  • Game nicks: Remnant_dynamike
« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2014, 08:25:19 pm »
+1
I like the concept and look of your latest map, curious to see how it will play. And the nord town looking one is my favorite in the rotation.

Maybe I'll try my luck on a DTV map next as well... my idea (let's see if I can realize it) would be a hill where the bots assault from all four sides. Maybe even make it look like an anthill, with huge scene props around, so it would make the players and bots seem like a bunch of ants fighting each other. Would go in the direction of the "Rats" fun map they had in Counter Strike  :lol:
For while the fire in the heart of a single Remnant still burns... can Stratia truly have fallen?

Offline Thranduil

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2014, 08:28:46 pm »
I like the concept and look of your latest map, curious to see how it will play. And the nord town looking one is my favorite in the rotation.

Maybe I'll try my luck on a DTV map next as well... my idea (let's see if I can realize it) would be a hill where the bots assault from all four sides. Maybe even make it look like an anthill, with huge scene props around, so it would make the players and bots seem like a bunch of ants fighting each other. Would go in the direction of the "Rats" fun map they had in Counter Strike  :lol:

The hill idea I like, but give the huge scene props idea a quick run by Fips and/or Teeth. I remember something a long time ago about no "Counter Strike" maps. But that was a long time ago, and depending on how you present it, it might just fly.

Offline dynamike

• King
  • Renown: 1212
  • Infamy: 187
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Let's be friends again?
    • View Profile
    • The Remnants Clan Website
  • Faction: Stratia
  • Game nicks: Remnant_dynamike
« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2014, 09:28:10 pm »
The hill idea I like, but give the huge scene props idea a quick run by Fips and/or Teeth. I remember something a long time ago about no "Counter Strike" maps. But that was a long time ago, and depending on how you present it, it might just fly.

Haha yes good point - forgot about the importance of immersion  :wink:

Do you have experience with siege towers? Check my thread if you do, I am having trouble with it not acting as a battering ram and sending parts of my castle flying  :lol:
For while the fire in the heart of a single Remnant still burns... can Stratia truly have fallen?

Offline Thranduil

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2014, 11:47:07 pm »
Okay. Here it is. Version 1.0. How the hell I finished in time, I'll never know.  :lol:

DTV_Lichens_Island

(click to show/hide)

Now I just have to upload it.

I think it's relatively obvious where barriers are. I do wonder what it looks like without a texture mod though.  :lol: I forgot to look!

Here's what it looks like without the textures mod.
(click to show/hide)

http://www.nexusmods.com/mbwarband/mods/5869/?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 12:07:08 am by Thranduil »

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 15, 2014, 12:04:30 am »
+1
I am having trouble with it not acting as a battering ram and sending parts of my castle flying  :lol:

Am I the only one who is perfectly okay with this? :mrgreen:

(click to show/hide)

Anyways, while I like your siege map design, and well, the fact that you are making siege maps... it is just too vertical imo. Looks awesome, 10/10 for style points, but unfortunately any really vertical map (helm's deep and that other infamously vertical one... don't know the name since all names are screwy) almost always kills (NA) siege or significantly reduces the population. The main problems with inclines is that:

A) Ranged. Nothing is better for ranged than a really long staircase or ladder, where their opponents all move like snails. Ranged is bad enough for most people on even terrain, but give the ranged a HUGE advantage, and well... GTXs are bound to happen.

B) Frankly, any kind of combat on an incline sucks in this game. The range of all attacks is always really screwy as well as your walking speed. While stairs generally make you really slow both ways, some kills/slopes will make you really slow moving up, but twice as fast moving down.

Sorry to turn this into a mini-smithy-feedback-post, but since he asked about it here... :P

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline Thranduil

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2014, 12:28:58 am »
Am I the only one who is perfectly okay with this? :mrgreen:

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Sorry to turn this into a mini-smithy-feedback-post, but since he asked about it here... :P
haha. I've no problem with that at all. Also, I wish there was a video of that fight.  :lol:

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 15, 2014, 06:23:55 am »
+3
I know I have seen fights where the wall pieces just fly away... not sure where to find them though. Wasn't that particular fight, but if you have seen on, you can guess what the others looked like.

Edit: Couldn't find an actual strat battle, but this video shows off the glitch pretty well.

~7:30 shows off pretty well how crazy it can be when you are on a scene object and it is spinning.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 06:52:43 am by Jona »

Offline Patoson

• Marshall
  • Renown: 784
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Thranduil's DTV maps. Feedback Thread. (Currently on map-making hiatus)
« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2014, 07:16:08 pm »
+1
In the "fort" map (sorry, I don't know the name), the new ballista at the end of the slope leads to boring/nobrainer/sigh shieldwall and no other place of the map has a footstep but bots'.
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 07:26:58 pm by Patoson »