Author Topic: Throwing vs Archery vs Crossbow  (Read 1929 times)

Offline 22nd_King_Plazek

• Baron
  • Renown: 87
  • Infamy: 57
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Throwing vs Archery vs Crossbow
« on: May 13, 2011, 03:36:33 am »
In this post I will compare the upper/mid range equipment in these three ranged schools of combat.

Javelins:

Requirements:
Power throw
WPF

Stats:
2 slots
3 ammo
33p damage

Strongbow + 1 stack of arrows:

Requirements:

Power draw
WPF

Stats:
2 slots
24 ammo (cheapest arrows)
27c damage (cheapest arrows)

Crossbow + 1 stack of bolts:

Requirements:
WPF

Stats:
2 slots
15 ammo (cheapest bolts)
54p damage (cheapest bolts)

*All info taken from the cRPG character equipment page at this point in time.

As you can see the throwing weapon has drastically less ammo than either of the other two methods of ranged combat.
It has comparable damage to the bow but inferior damage to the crossbow (at low levels of power throw, which are IMO more common). The lower bow damage will often be balanced by on average a higher power draw. Overall I think the damage is pretty even, thw bow may come off slightly worse purely on damage but this is made up for in other areas.

Which other areas?
Specifically in the amount of ammo, note how there are 24 arrows in a single quiver compared to the cross bow at 15 or the throwing at 3.

How does this ammo difference affect damage potential?

Bow: 27*24= 648 potential damage.
Crossbow: 54*15=810 potential damage.
Throwing: 33*3=99 potential damage.

Surely this massive difference in damage potential is evened out by some other advantage inherent in the throwing weapons?

1) You can carry a shield.
2) Maybe you can throw a bit faster than enemies can pull a bowstring. They are faster than a crossbow though.
3) You can use them as near useless melee weapons (bar the axes and lance which are near viable) if you have the correct WPF.

So maybe it is not all bad?

Well let us look at the disadvantages throwing weapons have as well shall we?

1) Less range
2) Less accuracy
3) Less ammo
4) More requirements than crossbows but lower damage compared.

I think those equal out any theoretical advantages of the thrower. Leaving nothing but the cold truth that the damage potential of a thrower is (at base stats) only 1/6 of that of an archer and 1/8 of that of a crossbowman. This is despite having exactly the same skill point and WPF requirements as an archer and MORE requirements than a crossbowman.

Specifically regarding one class in particular, the Javelin Cavalry, it is now no longer viable in the slightest. Unless you choose to take 6 javelins and no melee weapon. Then maybe you can take one or two enemy light cavalry down, so long as you are accurate. If that can in fact be called viable. 3 ammo is barely enough to kill a courser unless you hit it in the face when it is running at you.

I think the recent nerf is extremely unfair and goes so far as to make the class of a thrower whether dedicated, hybrid or horse pointless.
---

I will forever resent the day I chose to be a thrower instead of a crossbowman because I like to avoid OP classes. Please someone on the dev team, help me understand. What was so overpowered about javelins that you had to make them suck so hard?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 03:37:50 am by 22nd_King_Plazek »

Offline TwingeCrag

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Don't call my name.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Jolly Knight
  • Game nicks: LLJK_FERNANDO FRED_PIRATE_BRO
Re: Throwing vs Archery vs Crossbow
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 03:43:20 am »
edit: disregard this, new thread time
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 03:52:07 am by TwingeCrag »
I'm not your babe.

Offline Cheap_Shot

• Count
  • Renown: 244
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 04:15:31 am »
I agree entirely. Please everyone read this and understand the real issues here. Stop crying and shouting OP! for few minutes to understand the facts. Throwing is as far from OP as possible in this game. Some balancing was required to cut down on the sheer number of people using throwing weapons, but someone got carried away.

Another negative I should point out is the higher risk involved in throwing. Being a thrower means you have to make plenty of melee sacrifices but requires you to get closer to combat because of the savagely reduced range. How is it fair that the other ranged playstyles should have such a higher damage potential with so much less risk involved?
I'll throw even when the weapons are gone. I can always throw punches and throw up.

Offline Tomas_of_Miles

• Count
  • Renown: 263
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player
  • Inactive
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Rusty mercenary siege engineer
  • Game nicks: Something with Tomas in it
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 04:19:34 am »
As someone who likes to try builds and appreciates diversity in the game, throwing got nerfed too heavily. however, this doesn't mean that crossbows and archery should be nerfed. Nonono. I believe crossbows are fine, leave 'em be. Archery needs a faster reloads speed (slightly). And throwing needs one hell of a buff. At least the accuracy, or the number of them.
Professional poop cleaner

Offline Cheap_Shot

• Count
  • Renown: 244
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 04:35:34 am »
Truly. If this keeps up, we might as well all take off all our weapons and armor and line up so plated tanks don't have to swing as much to kill us all. I'd save time and we'd all make money.
I'll throw even when the weapons are gone. I can always throw punches and throw up.