343 (85.1%)
>= 10 and < 30
23 (5.7%)
< 10
6 (1.5%)
no idea, it doesn't work
31 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 403

Author Topic: cRPG Items/Armor Viewer (cRPG fashion, now with heraldics)  (Read 62739 times)

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
Re: To those who can see this:
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2013, 06:52:41 pm »
+1
wow nice

now that you got animations working, you think it will be long before you have the whole cRPG item database in, or is it a case of just copy/pasting everything in ?

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2013, 07:00:21 pm »
+2
OHMAGERD IT MOVES!

Very nice upgrade to an already lovely program!
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2013, 07:13:37 pm »
+3
now that you got animations working, you think it will be long before you have the whole cRPG item database in, or is it a case of just copy/pasting everything in ?

I can't really say yet. One thing that could still be a bit tricky is inserting the other objects (head, hands, feet) so that they move correctly with the animation. It could also be dead simple, I just don't know yet. If it's very difficult, I might freeze the animation at a specific frame and manually insert the other objects statically at the correct locations.

Once that's figured out, I'll have to export/import all the models and textures, which will take some time, but can be done in chunks, so that more and more equipment is added daily. Maybe I can script it a bit, I used to do things with AutoIt (I once scripted a Dwarf Fortress location finder, before it was implemented in the game itself).

On a side note, i have no idea how the traffic issue will pan out. Maybe I'll get a call soon from my hosting provider about traffic limits. If that happens, I'll have to take it down. Maybe someone else could host it, then, or I could try hosting it on a consumer connection at home (the non-static ip can be worked around). With what has been said in this thread I doubt it will ever get integrated into the official cRPG page, because there is no way around the fact that making it look decent will cost about 300kb in traffic per body armor and probably 100kb for headgear, etc., which means the tool will generate LOTS of traffic if the whole cRPG userbase is using it.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 07:18:09 pm by zagibu »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Benemortasia

• Knight
  • Renown: 42
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Benemor, Yabba_Dabba_Doobie
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2013, 07:21:11 pm »
+1
You even have the specular lighting down beautifully  :shock:

Is there any anti aliasing on that? 2x SSAA would really improve the experience and shouldn't be too much work for even the worst GPU (or integrated gfx for laptop users, quite a few of those in this community).

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2013, 07:30:22 pm »
+1
This is very cool. I can't count the number of times I've bought a new armor, only to find out I don't like something about the model or that it doesn't match properly with the helm/gloves/boots I want to use.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2013, 07:32:19 pm »
+5
Is there any anti aliasing on that? 2x SSAA would really improve the experience and shouldn't be too much work for even the worst GPU (or integrated gfx for laptop users, quite a few of those in this community).

Thanks for mentioning this. It seems they renamed the property from antialiasing to just antialias. It should work now if you hit CTRL+F5. Note that it's also browser and driver dependent, but for most people, it should work (works for me in FF and Chrome).

Offline Benemortasia

• Knight
  • Renown: 42
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Benemor, Yabba_Dabba_Doobie
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2013, 07:52:39 pm »
+1
Thanks for mentioning this. It seems they renamed the property from antialiasing to just antialias. It should work now if you hit CTRL+F5. Note that it's also browser and driver dependent, but for most people, it should work (works for me in FF and Chrome).

Looks marvelous! And for the web traffic issue I am guessing that you have the brf's in some directory that users then download.

But the models are already on their own computer if they have M&B/CRPG installed... Perhaps they could be loaded from their own machine by providing the filepath(s)? I don't think browsers would allow that - I haven't done a lot of work in this area.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2013, 08:17:08 pm »
+4
Looks marvelous! And for the web traffic issue I am guessing that you have the brf's in some directory that users then download.

But the models are already on their own computer if they have M&B/CRPG installed... Perhaps they could be loaded from their own machine by providing the filepath(s)? I don't think browsers would allow that - I haven't done a lot of work in this area.

I don't work directly with the BRFs (yet?). I use OpenBRF to export, and Blender to import, then export again in the format the library requires. I've written a parser that can direcly import the format that's exported from OpenBRF, but I had a lot of problems with reordering of indices and coordinates, so I gave it up. I quickly searched the Taleworlds forums for the specification of the BRF format, but couldn't find anything but dead links. Maybe I'll tackle this again, but I'm not sure i could get back the time I'd have to invest in it. It would also require some sort of item_kinds1.txt parsing, because cRPG doesn't really use all armors that are included in its data files.

As far as I know, this is not possible. Javascript cannot access local files. There are some new approaches in html5 to store data client side, but they have very low total storage max sizes (5MB, if I am not mistaken). If you learn of a workaround or some new method, let me know, it would help in many of my projects. In the meantime, the only thing we can do is make sure the server sends proper cache headers to the browser.

Offline Harald

• The old
  • Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 22
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2013, 10:04:24 pm »
+9
With what has been said in this thread I doubt it will ever get integrated into the official cRPG page, because there is no way around the fact that making it look decent will cost about 300kb in traffic per body armor and probably 100kb for headgear, etc., which means the tool will generate LOTS of traffic if the whole cRPG userbase is using it.
That doesn't sound that bad really, we would be looking at ~200MB total per user (we got 709 items). There would obviously be a peak at the beginning, but with proper caching it should be fine afterwards.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 10:07:35 pm by Harald »

Offline Dooz

• Duke
  • Renown: 674
  • Infamy: 165
  • Horrible_Human
    • View Profile
    • Wasteland Fight Club
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2013, 10:53:50 pm »
+3
i support your efforts from afar

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2013, 10:25:00 pm »
+4
I have managed to insert head, hands and feet, hit ctrl + F5 and let me know if there are any problems.

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
  • Renown: 465
  • Infamy: 102
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild.
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bulzur
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2013, 10:42:14 pm »
+1
Can see them just fine.
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
[19:32] <@chadz> if(dave_ukr_is_in_server) then rain_chance = 98%;

Offline Vermilion

• Count
  • Renown: 208
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vermilion
  • IRC nick: Vermilion
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2013, 11:09:02 pm »
I have managed to insert head, hands and feet, hit ctrl + F5 and let me know if there are any problems.

Nice work, keeps getting better!

One thing, not really an issue but looks a little funny.. If you turn the model side on, then switch armor, The main body with the head and hands reset to face on. However the legs remain where they where until you rotate the model. So momentarily the legs aren't attached to the rest.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2013, 11:12:20 pm »
+5
Nice work, keeps getting better!

One thing, not really an issue but looks a little funny.. If you turn the model side on, then switch armor, The main body with the head and hands reset to face on. However the legs remain where they where until you rotate the model. So momentarily the legs aren't attached to the rest.

They are never really attached. They even do their own animation. However, I know what you mean, and yeah, the code is still a mess. This will change in the future.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2013, 12:22:31 am »
+3
All right, I guess I'm pretty much done with the basic functionality. Now starts the tedious process of adding content. I might open a help request somewhere down the river, if progress is slow. But first I'll see how much one man can do in a few hours, and if it's underwhelming, I'll think about a way to automate the process a bit. If this fails, I'll probably need the help of the community.

As always, hit CTRL + F5 to get the latest version. Any feedback welcome.