Author Topic: Intercepting a moving target  (Read 2677 times)

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
Intercepting a moving target
« on: September 20, 2013, 08:27:27 pm »
+5
Chasing down a running target is a fairly common situation in cRPG. People seem to understand the obvious fact that aiming in front of a moving target will let you close on him faster, but I haven't seen too many people who consistently hit the optimal angle for doing so.

There is a dead simple method for doing this:
  • Make a guess as to what you think the optimal approach is, and start running
  • Hold your camera steady (don't turn left or right), and observe your target
  • If your target is moving towards the left side of your screen, then turn left until he appears motionless
  • If your target is moving towards the right side of your screen, then turn right until he appears motionless
  • If your target appears motionless on your screen, then you are running an optimal intercept
  • Repeat as necessary to adjust for changes in your target's direction
With this method, you can often close on a much faster opponent, assuming he doesn't run directly away from you.

If anybody is curious, this method is called proportional navigation, and was used by early heat-seeking missiles. Flight sim players also tend to use this a lot, which is how I came to know of it.

I realize this might seem like a gimmick that has no impact in-game, but it has repeatedly let me catch opponents who are faster than I am (assuming they aren't running directly away from me, of course).
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 12:31:31 am by Vodner »

Offline Necrorave

• Duke
  • Renown: 609
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Who the fuck is this guy?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dracul
  • Game nicks: Necrorave and or Cheesus Crust
  • IRC nick: Necrorave
Re: Intercepting a moving target
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 08:33:22 pm »
+2
This is more common sense then anything.  Although, I will admit that I do not commit to this kind of movement much.

The reason being that I wear less armor and it could leave me open to an attack.  Usually, when I start to close in on an opponent, I cut back on my speed a bit by tapping left or right once in a while to keep enough distance to be prepared for a "Sneak" attack.  I usually play with at least 18 AGI so I may not have issues with keeping up with my enemy much.  Although, that is the main reason I don't close in as efficiently as I possibly could.

I feel those with Plate or high strength are the sort need to learn this though.  It is sad watching them lose a round because they cannot seem to catch someone.

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 08:48:27 pm »
+1 good post.

People may be surprised at how many people just run directly behind an enemy agi build who is running away, and never catch them.

If you run at the optimal angle, you WILL eventually corner/catch them and they won't be able to kite forever.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 12:38:33 am »
Never thought about it, but yeah that makes a lot of sense. Good info, doubt I would be that far off though when doing it in a guesstimating manner. People running away from me tend to start running straight away from me anyway.

If you run at the optimal angle, you WILL eventually corner/catch them and they won't be able to kite forever.
Well that is just not true if the target is simply faster than you. Sure it makes you track him more efficiently but if he is simply faster he will be able to turn and then outrun you enough to turn again and you will potentially never catch him. 

The reason being that I wear less armor and it could leave me open to an attack.  Usually, when I start to close in on an opponent, I cut back on my speed a bit by tapping left or right once in a while to keep enough distance to be prepared for a "Sneak" attack.  I usually play with at least 18 AGI so I may not have issues with keeping up with my enemy much.  Although, that is the main reason I don't close in as efficiently as I possibly could.
Ah the joys of having played this game enough to actually be able to block those 9/10 times. You can also try to reflex juke and then attack him, which I did before I had faith in a reflex block. Be ready to turn to the side as soon as you see him turn and he will almost always miss and be disoriented allowing you to hit him in the side. Doesn't work that well if he has a much longer weapon.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 03:40:01 am »
If I wasn't so paranoid about my surroundings, I would love to try this out. I have trouble chasing guys who are slower than me.

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 04:02:04 am »
+3
If I wasn't so paranoid about my surroundings, I would love to try this out. I have trouble chasing guys who are slower than me.
You can always set up your pursuit (only takes a second or two), and then use your ~ key to quickly check around you. If he changes trajectory while you're looking around, you're no worse off than if you had just ran straight at him.

Of course, in my experience, the moment you look around with ~ will inevitably be the moment he spins around to stab you.

Offline Necrorave

• Duke
  • Renown: 609
  • Infamy: 71
  • Who the fuck is this guy?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dracul
  • Game nicks: Necrorave and or Cheesus Crust
  • IRC nick: Necrorave
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 04:56:09 am »
Of course, in my experience, the moment you look around with ~ will inevitably be the moment he spins around to stab you.

This is the reason I keep a buffer region between me and them.  It's more of a safety circle to protect me from the bad guys.

I also blow my whistle and yell "rape"

Offline Templar_Steevee

• Duke
  • Renown: 613
  • Infamy: 128
  • cRPG Player
  • Pew-pew for victory!!!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Steevee, Templar_catchArabbit, Gangtroll
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2013, 11:42:26 am »
I have a simplier method: draw a bow, aim, release an arrow. If I hit target is stunned and my teammates can kill him  :mrgreen:
Archer forever :D

Offline MURDERTRON

• King
  • Renown: 1337
  • Infamy: 428
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TRUMP / WEST 2020
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 07:24:43 am »
Most people have no idea how to fight two on one in this game.  Usually one guy gets in front and then stays in front, then zig zags left to right for speed bonus, making it impossible for the guy behind to do anything.  Then the singular guy getting doubled team, holds an attack, and runs by the guy nearest him and hits the second pursuer, who is too busy trying to do anything but hit his teammate to react.
▀█▀▒█▀█▒█▒█▒█▒▒▒█▒█▀█▒▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█
▒█▒▒█▄█▒█▒█▒██▒██▒█▄█▒▒▄▄█▒█▒█▒▄▄█▒█▒█▒█
▒█▒▒█▀▄▒█▄█▒█▒█▒█▒█▒▒▒▒█▄▄▒█▄█▒█▄▄▒█▄█▒▄