Author Topic: RIP Dedicated throwing  (Read 22852 times)

Offline Native_ATS

• Knight
  • Renown: 36
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Dedicated throwing
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2011, 10:47:53 am »
the item monkehs are working on it, afaik.
O.O REALLY, i wouldnt mind testing throwing again, would be nice if you can reset my looms lol or just 3 of them, fuck heirlooming my pony to champ palf if i can throw again. i did throwing for like 20gens stright lol   :mrgreen:
if your trolling tho, well played  :(
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 10:52:01 am by Native_ATS »

Offline Cheap_Shot

• Count
  • Renown: 244
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2011, 11:24:34 am »
the item monkehs are working on it, afaik.

That's good to hear. Any chance you could share what changes are being considered? I've been playing a pure thrower and made a thread about it here and I'm hoping I can play again.

I'll quote myself here.
The best rebalance I could suggest would be lower the wpf requirement, increase the powerthrow skill needed, boost the accuracy a touch, and make heirlooming increase stack size by 1. Reasonable and minor changes that would be more then enough.
I'll throw even when the weapons are gone. I can always throw punches and throw up.

Offline UrLukur

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 19
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2011, 11:28:23 am »
I would love to see javalry again. I think that reducing ammo for javs and jarids and throwing spears to 2 and make them use 1 slot would be good idea. Also, 1 slot for throwing spear would make it at least semi usable.
"Clava curva pie vinco"

Offline Tomas_of_Miles

• Count
  • Renown: 263
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player
  • Inactive
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Rusty mercenary siege engineer
  • Game nicks: Something with Tomas in it
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2011, 03:23:30 pm »
Aim for the head.

Problem solved.

Next.
I don't think he read the thread.
Professional poop cleaner

Offline Lorenzo_of_Iberia

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Peloponnesian League
  • Game nicks: Lorenzo_of_Numidia , PL_Hoplitai_Lorenzo
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2011, 06:05:47 pm »
I would love to see javalry again. I think that reducing ammo for javs and jarids and throwing spears to 2 and make them use 1 slot would be good idea. Also, 1 slot for throwing spear would make it at least semi usable.

Don't think you've ever been a javalry if you think a further reduction of ammo to 2 per slot is a good idea :P Seriously even with Pt6 Ha3 wpf 140 javelins do little damage and the cross hairs is still pretty large :P We're talking maximum of 6 javs and a 1h weapon... Compared to a more accurate bow with 24 shots a 1h and a shield, with similar amount of damage to javelins... Seem fair? :P
Your local Jav Cav

Looking for like Minded Hoplites? Look no further - http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,22631.0.html

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2011, 06:11:53 pm »
Also when all the dedicated throwers retire and change to another class, we will have more archers, cavalry, shielders, xbows and 2h's :P yes every class will rise and people will complain that there has been an increase in all of them :P imo throwers were the counter to heavy 2h's with a shield so the table looked like this (in a very basic form).

Throwers > 2h's > Polearms > cavalry > shielders > archers > throwers (among most classes :P)

This is just one map, it's like a food web if any of you did basic biology but just like in nature, You take 1 class out of the system, then some will gain an advantage and others will lose out. And thats the circle of life people :P
Your local Jav Cav

Looking for like Minded Hoplites? Look no further - http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,22631.0.html

Offline AlbaTiger

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Maybes aye maybes naw. Tiger that runs wi Wolves
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2011, 07:23:50 pm »
Actually, I think you got that that the other way around...

You know I think you might be right. I guess I'm looking at it from the position of a dedicated thrower who just had is main character reamed into oblivion rather than as someone who was multiclassing with thrower back up.

The funny thing is, you can still take 1h/shield + 4 axes, or a 2h/pole + 4 Axes under the current system. Sure you need to spend a little wpf now rather than before when you could just run on PT alone, but having 60-75 wpf in your backup weapon is normal and enough for 4-5 PT.

Offline Lech

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 123
  • Infamy: 348
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2011, 08:28:38 pm »
Don't think you've ever been a javalry if you think a further reduction of ammo to 2 per slot is a good idea :P Seriously even with Pt6 Ha3 wpf 140 javelins do little damage and the cross hairs is still pretty large :P We're talking maximum of 6 javs and a 1h weapon... Compared to a more accurate bow with 24 shots a 1h and a shield, with similar amount of damage to javelins... Seem fair? :P

Still way better than current 6 javs and NO 1h/2h weapons. Do you think it's better as 4 in stack that take 2 slots, or 5 in stack that take 2 slots ?

In the perfect world, bastard sword would take 1 slot and be less powerful than currently to make good sidearm for javalry.

Offline Native_ATS

• Knight
  • Renown: 36
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2011, 08:41:42 pm »
You know I think you might be right. I guess I'm looking at it from the position of a dedicated thrower who just had is main character reamed into oblivion rather than as someone who was multiclassing with thrower back up.

The funny thing is, you can still take 1h/shield + 4 axes, or a 2h/pole + 4 Axes under the current system. Sure you need to spend a little wpf now rather than before when you could just run on PT alone, but having 60-75 wpf in your backup weapon is normal and enough for 4-5 PT.
cant take 4 axes and a sheild because throwing takes 2 slots.. and your sheild takes a slot...

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2011, 08:51:20 pm »
Still way better than current 6 javs and NO 1h/2h weapons. Do you think it's better as 4 in stack that take 2 slots, or 5 in stack that take 2 slots ?

In the perfect world, bastard sword would take 1 slot and be less powerful than currently to make good sidearm for javalry.

It should be at least 3 per slot... like it was even then I felt a real effect after the first reduction in ammo... I had to make every javelin count and even then I only had enough to kill peasants and harass a few infantry (assuming I hit every javelin). These javelins were quite low in damage really when compared to a standard bow :(
Your local Jav Cav

Offline AlbaTiger

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2011, 10:07:44 pm »
cant take 4 axes and a sheild because throwing takes 2 slots.. and your sheild takes a slot...

Throwing axes are 2 for 1 slot. They are actually still semi effective, unlike Darts, Javs, Jarids or Spears.
(I hope no devs read this or Throwing Axes will get nerfed again)
 :(

If you are kitted for 1h then you could take 6 axes and a 1slot shield and use the 6th axe as your melee weapon or just drop 2 axes and take a good 1 slot weapon.

Today I've been playing on my dedicated thrower with Quarterstaff (1 slot) and 6 axes (3 slots) it's far from brilliant but like I said better than the other "top" end weapons.

With pure thrower certainly that risk of having to get close, pick your targets, and retrieve missed throws all while having very poor accuracy even with high wpf, and very little spare wpf to put into a melee weapon for protection if someone goes for you all makes for a rediculously difficult class to do much with.

And that was before half the weapons got turned to scrap.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 10:13:18 pm by AlbaTiger »

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2011, 10:29:00 pm »
Throwing axes are 2 for 1 slot. They are actually still semi effective, unlike Darts, Javs, Jarids or Spears.
(I hope no devs read this or Throwing Axes will get nerfed again)
 :(

If you are kitted for 1h then you could take 6 axes and a 1slot shield and use the 6th axe as your melee weapon or just drop 2 axes and take a good 1 slot weapon.

Today I've been playing on my dedicated thrower with Quarterstaff (1 slot) and 6 axes (3 slots) it's far from brilliant but like I said better than the other "top" end weapons.

With pure thrower certainly that risk of having to get close, pick your targets, and retrieve missed throws all while having very poor accuracy even with high wpf, and very little spare wpf to put into a melee weapon for protection if someone goes for you all makes for a rediculously difficult class to do much with.

And that was before half the weapons got turned to scrap.

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to get a quarterstaff now. Got no wpf in anything other than throwing, but the speed of the weapn should allow me to hit back after blocking.

Wardarts and quarterstaff it is.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline AlbaTiger

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2011, 10:48:36 pm »
Before the destruction of throwing weapons I used to run QStaff and Jarids, then went down to Wardarts after the other 4 got wrecked and slots came in.

When Javelins were still 1 slot I'd switch between Wardarts and Javelins, Javs if I wanted to be slower and more careful, Wardarts when I wanted to spam a little and spread the damage about.

Now that wardarts only 4 for 1 slot and Javs are 3 for 2 really I don't think any of them are very effective, though wardarts are still better than any of the other piercing throwing weapons.

When it takes 2/3s of your ammo to bring down a single horse most of the time you just start to wonder what the point is...even with Heavy Throwing Axes I've noticed I spend more time worrying about picking my shot or retrieving misses than I do actually helping my team.

There are even times when I hit a person or a horse and wish I hadn't because that is the ammo gone.

Maybe if throwing weapons still had a bit of accuracy it wouldn't be too bad but they're inaccurate as hell now on top of the massive reduction on number carried.

All that aside though the Quarter Staff is an awesome single slot weapon, good length (probably the longest single slot weapon), it can poke at horses, it's fast and has knockdown.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 10:58:16 pm by AlbaTiger »

Offline Lech

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 123
  • Infamy: 348
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2011, 12:21:15 am »
It should be at least 3 per slot... like it was even then I felt a real effect after the first reduction in ammo... I had to make every javelin count and even then I only had enough to kill peasants and harass a few infantry (assuming I hit every javelin). These javelins were quite low in damage really when compared to a standard bow :(

Last gen i played thrower/1h hybrid, and i used 4 heavy throwing axes. It was enough to deal with pretty much anything, and when i tossed them, i was playing as normal 1h. Just 4 axes. I understand that throwing from horseback is less accurate, but i can see javalry with 4 javs, shield/1h or 6 javs, 2h. Sure, it's more like lvl 31 build, but sounds viable.

Offline Cheap_Shot

• Count
  • Renown: 244
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2011, 12:55:24 am »
It does, but it's not currently if you look at all the different penalties that effect throwing right now. That kind of build just cant exist anymore. Powerthrow has become very expensive and the amount of wpf required to use throwing weapons has gone up considerably. The powerthrow also barley effects accuracy at all meaning hitting anything while on horse with throwing weapons would be the equivalent of playing yahtzee. You have to convert a lot of skill points to agility in order to use it leaving very little points left for riding let alone other skills. It's just not worth it for a few shots while on a horse, especially considering every round would turn into a short combat followed by a long and boring unarmed pony ride while people accuse you of leaching followed by a kick or ban.  :lol: Shame really since it sounds like it was an interesting and challenging build at one point.
I'll throw even when the weapons are gone. I can always throw punches and throw up.