Author Topic: Battle of Raate Road [winter war]  (Read 4536 times)

Offline Herkkutatti666

• Duke
  • Renown: 585
  • Infamy: 285
  • cRPG Player
  • Rips pärs
    • View Profile
Battle of Raate Road [winter war]
« on: September 02, 2013, 07:55:20 pm »
+4

Battle of Raate Road

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Date - January 1 – January 7, 1940

Location - Eastern Finland

Result - Finnish victory

Belligerents

Finland

Soviet Union

Commanders and leaders

Finland - Hjalmar Siilasvuo
-
Soviet Union  - Alexey Vinogradov

Strength

13,962-25 000

Casualties and losses

402 killed Est.
at least 7,000–9,000 killed, 1300 captured

The Battle of Raate Road was fought during the Winter War between the Soviet Union and Finland in January 1940, as a part of the Battle of Suomussalmi.

On December 7, 1939, the Soviet 163rd Division captured Suomussalmi, but found itself trapped deep inside Finnish territory, and the Soviet 44th Rifle (Ukrainian) Division was sent to aid the 163rd. Over the next week, Colonel Hjalmar Siilasvuo's outnumbered 9th Division stopped and decisively defeated the Soviet forces on the Raate-Suomussalmi road. This battle proved the effectiveness of Finnish motti tactics.

Background

During the battle of Suomussalmi, the Finns cut the Raate road on December 11, 1939. The action blocked the second, southern supply route to the Soviet 163rd Rifle Division in the town of Suomussalmi.The Finns also cut the first, northern supply route on 13 December, and the Soviets were forced to open a new supply route through Lake Kiantajärvi. The 163rd Division was nearly surrounded and suffered major casualties in Suomussalmi. The situation was getting worse, and on 20 December the commander of the 163rd Division, Andrei Zelentsov, asked permission to retreat from Suomussalmi. In response, part of the 44th Division, the 1st Battalion of the 305th Infantry Regiment, and the 3rd Battalion of the 662nd Infantry Regiment, were sent to reinforce the 163rd Division troops near Suomussalmi. Zelentsov's concerns were not understood at Red Army headquarters, as the entire 44th Division was about to move along the Raate road.

Most military historians date the battle of the Raate road from 1 January to 7 January 1940. The Raate road was though a battlefield during the entire Winter War. Before the main battle against the 44th Division, the Finns fought retreat battles against a part of 163rd Division on the Raate road. Furthermore, some battles were fought on the east side, near the border, on the road during the rest of the Winter War.

The battle

At the start of the battle of Raate road, Siilasvuo's 9th Division had already destroyed the Russian 163rd Division. After that, it received orders to destroy the Soviet 44th Division, which was stopped on the road near Haukila, 12 kilometers from Suomussalmi. The Finnish 9th Division was split in four squadrons, each named after their commanders. The decisive battle was ordered to begin on January 5, 1940, 08:30.

The battles focused on Haukila, where most of the Soviet troops were located and where squadrons "Mandelin" and "Mäkiniemi" attacked. Squadron "Mäkiniemi" had started moving towards Haukila a few days before the official attack. At the same time, the fresh 3rd NKVD Border Guard Regiment was just arriving to assist the Soviet 44th Division. By the following morning, the Finnish troops held strong blocking positions reinforced with mines at several points in the midst of the Soviet column. During January 6, heavy fighting occurred all along the Raate road as the Finns continued to break up the enemy forces into smaller pieces. The Soviets attempted to overrun Finnish roadblocks with armor, losing numerous tanks in frontal attacks, but were unsuccessful. Finally, at 21:30, Vinogradov belatedly ordered his division to retreat back to the Soviet border.

The despairing Soviet troops began to escape north over Lake Kiantajärvi. Many soldiers froze to death without proper clothing or supply; one Finnish soldier said he saw Soviet soldiers in a frozen campsite and had to poke one in the eye with a stick to see if he was really dead. Remnants of Soviet units had already tried to escape to the east, but were blocked by squadron "Kari". Further in the east, squadron "my old friendernäs" could not keep a strategic bridge under Finnish control. On January 7, squadron "my old friendernäs" recaptured the bridge and before noon all Soviet resistance was suppressed. The mopping-up went on for two days, during which the Finns rounded up hundreds of starving, frozen Ukrainians. Other remnants of the 44th Division managed to escape the blockade and reach the border in several small groups.[clarification needed did they break through the blockade, slip through or evade it altogether?]

The Finnish army captured a huge amount of materiel in this battle.

Captured material

Finnish statistics

Soviet statistics

4,822 rifles
4,340 rifles

106 machine guns
97 machine guns

190 light machine guns 
252 light machine guns

71 artillery pieces
55 artillery pieces

29 anti-tank guns
30 anti-tank guns

14 anti-tank rifles
12 anti-tank rifles

43 tanks
37 tanks

10 armored cars 
260 trucks 
20 tractors 
2 cars 
1,170 horses

Casualties

For many years, Finnish historians estimated the Soviet losses to be around 17,000 men. The estimation was based on the interrogation of the prisoners of war captured in early January. Officers of the Soviet 27th Infantry Regiment had given their casualties at 70 percent and the Finns assumed that the strength of the 44th Division was over 20,000 men. Western historians conformed their figures to Finnish estimations. The Soviets challenged the number of casualties published in the Western world immediately in January and claimed to have lost no more than 900 men, mostly from frostbite, while inflicting an estimated 2,000 Finn fatalities. Later Finnish historians conducted further efforts to ascertain the number of Soviet casualties in the battle. The Finns captured over 5,000 rifles, and, furthermore, a tag[clarification needed] of the North Finland Group showed the Finns replaced 1,200 old rifles with the newer Soviet models. Most recent Finnish studies indicate that the Soviets lost at least 7,000–9,000 men.

The Finns quickly buried the Soviet dead as the weather warmed during the early spring to reduce the risk of epidemics. Mass graves were marked on maps and were mounted with a cross or a pole. Later the maps disappeared. Around Easter, the Soviets made a request that they would like to gather the dead and bring them back home, but the Finns did not allow Soviet Army officials to cross the border but the Finns delivered 300 bodies from near the village of Raate to Soviet officials. After the Continuation War, the Soviets were not interested in their deceased. The Red Army occupied the Raate road shortly, gathered wartime junk but left the bodies alone. The fate of the Ukrainian Division remained unmentioned in Soviet historiography for decades.

According to the Russian historian Yuri Kilin, the Stavka set up a research commission in January 1940 to investigate the number of casualties. The Commission reported 4,674 total casualties: 1,001 dead, 1,430 wounded and 2,243 missing. At the turn of the year, the strength of the division was 13,962 men and by the end of the Raate Road battle it was at 9,288 men. According to the report, the division was understaffed, because two battalions of the 305th Infantry Regiment were deployed elsewhere. Kilin calculated that some troops returned after the report, so the number of the missing is lower. Later, research by the Ukrainian historian Oleg Bozhko yielded similar numbers as he used the same source. The Stavka report was published in January 1940, in the middle of the Winter War. The statistics of the report start from 1 January, and by this time the division had already suffered heavy losses for two weeks. The Stavka report did not mention casualties suffered on the Raate Road by other units, along the advancement of the 44th Division.

Soviet executions

The Soviet commander, Vinogradov, and two of his chief officers, Volkov and Pahomov, retreated in the middle of crucial battles. According to the Stavka report, this act had a fatal influence on morale. As they reached the Soviet lines four days later they were court-martialed, found guilty and sentenced to death; the executions were carried out immediately. The Stavka itself had made the crucial decisions to keep the 44th Division on the Raate Road after the 163rd had lost Suomussalmi village.

The Ukrainian veteran of the Raate Road Sergeant Pyotr Andrevitch Morozov was interviewed in 1991 by the Finnish non-fiction writer Leo Karttimo. According to Morozov the Finns returned prisoners of war, but none of them managed to get back to Ukraine as the Soviet secret service NKVD executed them all in summer 1940.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Raate_Road
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 08:19:51 pm by Morso »

Offline Latvian

• King
  • Renown: 1494
  • Infamy: 379
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • с̴͎͖͈͟͠ͅу̷̸̻̣͇͚̫͎͇̩̟̖̪͇̯к̀́͠͞҉͎͚͎а̰̤͕̱͔̬͖̟̺͍͎́͞ ̸͝
    • View Profile
  • Faction: one and only DESERTERS
  • Game nicks: u know its me when you see me
Re: Just leaving this here..
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 08:07:30 pm »
+1
russians suck at fighting, nothing new, keep moving.
people are like potatoes, they come in different shapes and sizes and they all are beautifull
masturbating while looking in a mirror isnt wrong unless its the rear view mirror and you are driving a school buss.

it doesnt matter if you are happiest person or an unfortunate weeper, a powerfull beast or a terrifying creature. we are all equal, in the eyes of the reaper.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
Re: Battle of Raate Road
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 08:18:28 pm »
Yes, we heard about the winter war, chill with the national pride.  :wink:

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Herkkutatti666

• Duke
  • Renown: 585
  • Infamy: 285
  • cRPG Player
  • Rips pärs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 08:19:19 pm »
Not enough!

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
Re: Battle of Raate Road [winter war]
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 08:21:45 pm »
+1
Although I have major admiration and respect for anyone kicking Ruskie ass.

Especially kicking the big Bear in the ass on it's own playground, the cold.

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Panos_

• იოსებ ბესარიონის ძე სტალინი
  • King
  • Renown: 2006
  • Infamy: 885
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • Come and get couched, Turk!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vyzantion (Palaiologos Era)
  • Game nicks: Panos_the_TurkSlayer
  • IRC nick: THE_PANOS
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 08:37:07 pm »
+1

there is nothing wrong with having national pride.

God, I hate people who try to act all cool and modern and want to forget their history just because they are afraid of being called racist/neonazees/fascists.

Nationalist and proud baby.

Offline Nightmare798

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 400
  • Infamy: 502
  • cRPG Player
  • Darksider on redemption
    • View Profile
Re: Just leaving this here..
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 08:46:12 pm »
russians suck at fighting, nothing new, keep moving.

russians are like imperial guard, they have shit army and equipment, but they still win because they can afford to lose millions upon millions of people every day.
Tseng: Used to the bitter taste of refusal, this only serves to reinforce his greatest life lession yet.
Cloud: And that is?
Tseng: Bitches, man.

Offline Armpit_Sweat

• High Lord of the Spam
  • King
  • Renown: 1417
  • Infamy: 154
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Armpit_Sweat, My_horses_name_is_Rebecca
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 11:38:13 am »
+6
Personally, i hope, that people will unite under a banner of Liberal Democracy, and not some specific ethnic, cultural or religious group, as these groups tend to exclude everyone else, and eventually cause illogical aggression... What good can come out of one country proclaiming superiority?

Work, and do your job properly - that is how i see the key to success in 2013. Saying - "I am the best, because of what my ancestors did", is a way that leads nowhere in my opinion.
China is a major power now, not because of what their emperors achieved for a thousand years ago, but because they study, and work extremely hard. Look at Mongolia - a huge empire once, dusty fields of emptiness now.

As for that specific battle - i could write 1000000 pages about heroic victories of Russia in the past 700 years, but i will not mock anyone out of respect for the fallen men on both sides.
  Spam at The Temple of Spam

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 12:19:47 pm »
ofc its a great achievement on finnish side (mostly in terms of boldness),  but looking at russian leadership and the overall state of their army to that time does put this war into perspective. Comparable  to the early stages of barbarossa/great patriotic war.

I really wouldnt want to have been a russian soldier in that era...
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 12:27:42 pm »
+3

God, I hate people who try to act all cool and modern and want to forget their history just because they are afraid of being called racist/neonazees/fascists.

Nationalism is a weed that needs to be purged from humanity.

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 12:46:02 am »
+3

I understand being interested specifically in your ancestors history, but prioritizing your nations history over general history seems really silly to me, that might just be because my nation hasn't existed very long, and unlike Greece my nation isn't loosely associated with any nations of the past besides the one USA rebelled from.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Shik

• Duke
  • Renown: 510
  • Infamy: 90
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Gilmore Girls
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 05:16:43 pm »
hjalmar and mannerheim were swedes anyways

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2013, 03:48:32 pm »
+4
Nationalism is a weed that needs to be purged from humanity.

Hipster idiots. Great idea brah, destroy any sense of community or tribalism, I'm sure the rest of the world will be right behind you.
Actually I'm sorry to tell you that unlike the "grasseater", neutered eunuchs developped countries have tried so hard to turn into, the rest of the world isn't arrogant or stupidly suicidal enough to think that  encouraging everything that goes against the interests of their ethnic group is a noble thing. Fucking martyrdom obsessed, self-flagellating, ignorant morons. Keep pretending you aren't part of a cultural/tribal grouping and that the very idea is just so dumb and has never brought anything but pain and misery, I'm sure that will make it true.  :lol:

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2013, 03:53:19 pm »
+2
Personally, i hope, that people will unite under a banner of Liberal Democracy, and not some specific ethnic, cultural or religious group, as these groups tend to exclude everyone else, and eventually cause illogical aggression... What good can come out of one country proclaiming superiority?

Work, and do your job properly - that is how i see the key to success in 2013. Saying - "I am the best, because of what my ancestors did", is a way that leads nowhere in my opinion.
China is a major power now, not because of what their emperors achieved for a thousand years ago, but because they study, and work extremely hard. Look at Mongolia - a huge empire once, dusty fields of emptiness now.

As for that specific battle - i could write 1000000 pages about heroic victories of Russia in the past 700 years, but i will not mock anyone out of respect for the fallen men on both sides.

Yeah, ask Francis Fukuyama about that, that's pretty much his "End of History" theory, that he distanced himself from as soon as he realized people aren't fucking automatons, and the world and humanity wasn't going to suddenly change just because a small portion of the world population deluded themselves into accepting a kumbaya fairy story ideology. People are people, as soon as you start treating them as "rational" actors you end up with cold, clinical theories like pure capitalism and communism, that completely ignore human nature in favour of some bullshit projection of what they want humans to be like. Is/should fallacy.

PS: The only reason China even exists today as political and ethnic entity is PRECISELY because of their past history, not least the cultural imperialism that transformed dozens of disparate ethnicities into a more or less unified one. Pretty much exactly the same way that the ethnicity "french" was largely constructed out of dozens of disparate tribal, ethnic and linguistic groups that were only tangentially related to each other. Every single country, nation, culture that currently exists today exists only because of a sense of tribalism and community. You know what happened to the ones that didn't have it, or weren't "strong" enough? They got absorbed by ones that did, or dissapeared.
I find it particularly ironic you use China as an example considering how culturally/ethnically imperialist they are, and how much their identity is linked to their past, ESPECIALLY the most powerful and widespread chinese empires. They're possibly the most nationalistic developed/ing (it's both really) country in the world at the moment.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 04:09:21 pm by Oberyn »

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2013, 12:36:33 pm »
Hipster idiots. Great idea brah, destroy any sense of community or tribalism, I'm sure the rest of the world will be right behind you.
Actually I'm sorry to tell you that unlike the "grasseater", neutered eunuchs developped countries have tried so hard to turn into, the rest of the world isn't arrogant or stupidly suicidal enough to think that  encouraging everything that goes against the interests of their ethnic group is a noble thing. Fucking martyrdom obsessed, self-flagellating, ignorant morons. Keep pretending you aren't part of a cultural/tribal grouping and that the very idea is just so dumb and has never brought anything but pain and misery, I'm sure that will make it true.  :lol:
I of course over-acted my stance on nationalism with my statement to match Panos his blatant nationalism glorifying and to provoke, but nevertheless I don't see nationalism as a positive force, not now and not in the past. I am not saying anything about intentionally acting against the interests of your culture/group, but allowing your culture/group to define your interests is a risky road because it causes cultures/groups to exalt themselves and demonize the 'other', with potentially destructive results. Of course nationalism is deeply rooted and present throughout everyone's thinking, including me, and it will continue to be an important force for many a century, it's importance of course varying throughout world regions as it already does today.

Nevertheless it's importance can and most likely will decrease. Nationalism is indeed a larger form of community thinking. As those communities have grown in size from villages/tribes to states, the diversity within the community has increased and the relative difference with other communities has decreased. Combined with much greater mobility and communication with other groups I think nationalism is definitely in decline, which I'd say causes us to live in a better world. Maybe the size of our communities will at some point increase to regions like Europe and maybe even the world at some point. Kumbaya indeed, don't worry I am not forgetting that this is centuries away and that it seems completely incompatible with some regions in the world.

Also, why is it that you're always such an utter cunt in your posts?