Author Topic: Discussion about MISSILE SPEED (need help)  (Read 929 times)

Offline 1907435

• Noble
  • Renown: 16
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Discussion about MISSILE SPEED (need help)
« on: August 21, 2013, 12:08:40 pm »
+1
What is the different effects between missile speed 69 and  missile speed 60 ?
just more faster ?

Wish someone help to answer professional and completion.

Offline Tennenoth

• Marshall
  • Renown: 818
  • Infamy: 85
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "Bloody peasant archers!"
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Head)
  • Game nicks: Guard_Tenne; Guard_The_Biscuits; Guard_Bugden; Guard_Tennenuff
  • IRC nick: Tennenoth
Re: Discussion about MISSILE SPEED (need help)
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 12:27:31 pm »
+4
Missile speed is literally how fast a projectile, such as an arrow or bolt, moves through the air after you have fired it. So, as you'd expect, the higher the number, the faster the arrow will move.

It means that you can aim flatter, because the projectile will be able to maintain a higher speed for longer & it also means that it will take less time (naturally) for it to reach it's target.

Hope this helps you.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

BullDog Clan member since 31/08/2010 / Caravan Guild member since 03/08/2010

How to understand what I say.
Always finish your tea and biscuits regardless of how terrible they are

Offline 1907435

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 01:14:50 pm »
+1
Missile speed is literally how fast a projectile, such as an arrow or bolt, moves through the air after you have fired it. So, as you'd expect, the higher the number, the faster the arrow will move.

It means that you can aim flatter, because the projectile will be able to maintain a higher speed for longer & it also means that it will take less time (naturally) for it to reach it's target.

Hope this helps you.

Thanks a lot for ur reply.

I still have 3 questions about it.

First, does the higher missile speed bring more hurt plus as the horse running speed ?
Second, in this way which bow is more appropriate for a heavy horse archer, horn bow, nomad bow,short bow or yumi bow ? A heavy horse archer means a archer on a heavy horse and dress heavy armour. In fact I always bring a +3 Elite Scimitar to fight.  So which one is better for my fighting model ?
Third, does the horse running speed incream the arrow hurts ?

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 01:38:15 pm »
+2
1)
 Actually a weapon with a lower missile speed gets more damage gain from movement (horse/running) or height differences than one with a high speed . This is because of how the game calculates the bonus.

The formular is this:
Code: [Select]
damage_with_speed_bonus = damage_without_speed_bonus*(impact_missile_speed/default_missile_speed)^1.9

basicly with:
impact_missile_speed = default_missile_speed + speed_difference_between_shooter_and_victim + fall_height_speed_gain - drag_loss

and for bows with:
default_missile_speed = item_shoot_speed * sqrt((power_draw * 0.12) + 1.0) * 1.2
{PD capped at bow difficulty+4}

That means the higher the default missile speed is, the lower is the effect the movement speed and the height difference has on damage because those are independed from the default speed(different to drag loss).

Of course having a high shot speed has so many advantages for hitting the target(less travel time, flat trajectory) that this little disadvantage can be neglected in most cases.

2.)
Dunno. Play what you like.

3.)
Yes. See 1. Horse throwers should profit more though.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 01:48:20 pm by Paul »

Offline 1907435

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 04:26:09 am »
What the cruel true it is !
From the formular maybe we can think deeply as follows.
[REMARK]
impact_missile_speed/default_missile_speed = Z
impact_missile_speed = IMS = X
default_missile_speed = DMS = Y
speed_difference_between_shooter_and_victim + fall_height_speed_gain - drag_loss = S

Z is the final variable to affect the damage_with_speed_bonus.

X        Y + S        Y       S              S
Z = ---- = ---------- = ---- + ---- = 1 + ----
        Y            Y           Y       Y              Y

From this we can see that
1.The bigger the Z is, the higher the damage_with_speed_bonus will be.
2.For Z, if the S is permanent, the bigger the Y is, the lower the Z will be.

Therefor the damage_with_speed_bonus depends on value of Y if the S is permanent.
For example:

1.Using the Nomad BOW and Tatar Arrows, PD = 5  S = 40, Y = 48*1.26*1.2 = 72.58, then Z = 1 + 40 / 72.58 = 1.55,
damage_with_speed_bonus = (23+8)*(0.14*5+1)*1.55^1.9 = 31*1.6*1.55^1.9 = 76.88^1.9

2.Using the Horn BOW and Arrows, PD =5 S = 40, Y = 44*1.26*1.2 = 66.53, then Z = 1 + 40 / 66.53 = 1.60,
damage_with_speed_bonus = (26+5)*(0.14*5+1)*1.60^1.9 = 31*1.6*1.60^1.9 = 79.36^1.9

So if the damage_without_speed_bonus is the same, the BOW with lower missile speed can bring more damage_with_speed_bonus, is it right ?

IF it is right, it is serious against the BASIC PHYSICS LAW.

IF the MASS(means the arrows) is the same, the faster missile must have larger KINETIC ENERGY and then it should bring more DAMAGE.

Dear Paul, what do u think about this formular now ?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 07:38:50 am by 1907435 »

Offline Huscarlton_Banks

• Earl
  • Renown: 404
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
  • Blatant nudge spammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 11:35:24 am »
The assumption with the more powerful bows is that they fire arrows with a greater mass, it's just that there's no ingame mechanic for making bow/crossbow/musket shot velocity vary with ammo type, so you'll have to just imagine that they all use different ammo.

I suppose it's possible to get around it with a kludge involving the missile weapon not actually firing anything and a complex add missile operation on attack, but that just seems a bit too hacky.

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 12:56:56 pm »
+2
It's not against nature's laws. It actually fits. If you shoot a gun that already has a high projectile speed of like 400 m/s then it doesn't matter if you do it while standing still or running(10 m/s).  The resulting speed of 400m/s + 10m/s=410 m/s is only 2.5% higher and thus the kinetic energy is only increased by about 5%.

But for a throwing weapon that you can only throw at like 30 m/s it makes a big difference (30m/s + 10m/s=40m/s). Then the resulting projectile speed is 33% higher and the kinetic energy is even increased by 78%. So the impact of relative movement speed on the final destuctive potential of a projectile is much much bigger if the launching speed is NOT a lot bigger than the movement speed. If both weapons, the gun and the throwing weapon do the same damage when used from non-moving position, then the throwing weapon will do more damage than the gun when both are used while running towards the target.

You made a big mistake in your calculation. Only the quotient of the impact to default speed is taken to the power of 1.9, NOT the damage.

So it would be for a movement speed of 20 m/s (max horse speed i think)

Default projectile speed = 60 m/s:
final_damage = default_damage * ( 1 + S / Y ) ^1.9 = default_damage * ( 1 + 20 / 60 ) ^1.9 = default_damage * 1.73

Projectile speed = 40 m/s:
final_damage = default_damage * ( 1 + S / Y ) ^1.9 = default_damage * ( 1 + 20 / 40 ) ^1.9 = default_damage * 2.16

« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 01:06:42 pm by Paul »

Offline BlueKnight

• Marshall
  • Renown: 983
  • Infamy: 200
  • If you run, you will only die tired...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 01:04:50 pm »
+1
And how does the speed bonus for melee fighting work? I was always curious about it.

Skyrim UI

Offline Templar_Steevee

• Duke
  • Renown: 613
  • Infamy: 128
  • cRPG Player
  • Pew-pew for victory!!!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Steevee, Templar_catchArabbit, Gangtroll
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 01:25:15 pm »
Atm in archery i don't like that low tier bows have higher missile speed than my long bow. We are using same kinds of arrows, so it sould be logic that slower bow with higher dmg (you have to use more power to draw it) have lower missile speed than  low tier bows (you put less power to draw them).

I`m almost an enginer and i hate to imagine that for ex. bodkin arrows used with long bow are heavier, and dame arrows use with for ex tatar bow have less weight when on web page and in game there is  a fixed number showing me how heavy they are.
Archer forever :D

Offline BlueKnight

• Marshall
  • Renown: 983
  • Infamy: 200
  • If you run, you will only die tired...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 01:48:06 pm »
Atm in archery i don't like that low tier bows have higher missile speed than my long bow. We are using same kinds of arrows, so it sould be logic that slower bow with higher dmg (you have to use more power to draw it) have lower missile speed than  low tier bows (you put less power to draw them).

I`m almost an enginer and i hate to imagine that for ex. bodkin arrows used with long bow are heavier, and dame arrows use with for ex tatar bow have less weight when on web page and in game there is  a fixed number showing me how heavy they are.

We all know that weight of arrows has nothing to do with reality, it's a mechanic made for gayness prevention.

Skyrim UI

Offline Templar_Steevee

• Duke
  • Renown: 613
  • Infamy: 128
  • cRPG Player
  • Pew-pew for victory!!!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Steevee, Templar_catchArabbit, Gangtroll
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 08:41:43 pm »
And all we know that it works, but still imo  it's just silly that arrowsfrom tiny bows are flying faster than arrows from rus or long bow...
Archer forever :D