Poll

What do you think?

Approved
Not Approved
Approved With Variations (see my reply)

Author Topic: All one handed axes are trash  (Read 5745 times)

Offline Palurgee

• Duke
  • Renown: 607
  • Infamy: 87
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: palurgee, brokeback_mountaineer, denarii
  • IRC nick: palurgee
All one handed axes are trash
« on: August 04, 2013, 08:43:10 pm »
+8
EDIT: could an admin move this to game balance discussion at some point?

I'm not at all satisfied with one-handed weapons in cRPG, particularly the axes. At the moment, weapon speed increases as length and weight decrease. This is fine and well, but the increment is very little, if not absent. Here is an example -- the "One Handed Axe:"

(click to show/hide)

Now lets look at another one-handed weapon, the "Broad Short Sword:"

(click to show/hide)

The Broad Short Sword is longer, heavier, faster, has more attack directions, equal damage, and occupies no slots (and this is AFTER the nerf). So why would you use the axe? Ah, for the bonus against shields! Congratulations, you have broken your enemy's shield and you are now fighting him on fair grounds! Except for the fact that your weapon's stats are complete garbage. Now; you may think, "palurgee, the Broad Short Sword is nearly four times as expensive as the One Handed Axe!" Well, perhaps I should introduce a weapon a bit closer in the price range to the One Handed Axe. Please open the One Handed Axe spoiler and then the spoiler below.

(click to show/hide)

This little bastard is a point away from being the same length as the One Handed Axe, yet it has more speed and twice as much weight, a better damage type, knockdown, and only at the price of 99 more upkeep. Things look grim for our One Handed Axe friend. It is a step away from being useless in all but breaking shields. Perhaps we should take a look at another, more popular, axe. Let's see how it stacks up against other one-handed weapons. The "Broad One Handed Battle Axe."

(click to show/hide)

That'll do, broad one handed battle axe. But wait -- what's this? Right next to the Broad One Handed Battle Axe, The Elite Scimitar!

(click to show/hide)

Looks like the axe has been outplayed again. The Elite Scimitar is faster, much longer, and equal in weight. Fortunately our axe has an additional four damage and bonus versus shields which almost makes up for its otherwise trash stats.

Let's look at one-handed axes from a realistic perspective. A one-handed axe was a weapon designed to whack and wallop very quickly. Why was it able to do this? Two reasons:

1. It is very short
2. It is unbalanced

Axes, unlike swords, do not have much weight in the hilt. I even threw together this quick picture showing the approximate center of gravity on an axe:

(click to show/hide)

When swung, the swinger's arm gives it speed and then gravity packs with it a harder punch.

So, here is my idea for most, if not all, one-handed axes and some other one-handers.

Increase their speed dramatically and make them unbalanced. Thank you for reading, please give feedback.

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: All one handed axes are trash
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 11:32:08 pm »
An increase to weight would be required as well.

But I honestly do not think that an increase to speed would be logical. Since it's center of gravity, it is harder to start the swing; therefore slower to prepare the attack not faster. I think a new damage type suited for axes would solve the problem with them. They must be more effective to armor, while not being as effective as a... lets say a pick. Ignoring 25% of armor could be quite nice.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 11:37:40 pm by Ronin »
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline Palurgee

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 12:00:08 am »
+4
An increase to weight would be required as well.

But I honestly do not think that an increase to speed would be logical. Since it's center of gravity, it is harder to start the swing; therefore slower to prepare the attack not faster. I think a new damage type suited for axes would solve the problem with them. They must be more effective to armor, while not being as effective as a... lets say a pick. Ignoring 25% of armor could be quite nice.

I was looking for some sources online and found this guy. The first 60 seconds of this video definitely reflect my ideas for what axes should be like in cRPG.

Offline MrChubbikins

• Noble
  • Renown: 12
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Neku
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 10:08:23 pm »
I feel like at this point in the game the only viable 1h weapons are picks and maces, which is depressing when there are so many 1h weapons to choose from.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 10:35:37 pm »
I feel like at this point in the game the only viable 1h weapons are picks and maces, which is depressing when there are so many 1h weapons to choose from.

Disagreed.  It depends entirely on your power strike (and active WPF, to a lesser extent) versus the armor and total HP the guy you're facing has. 

With 7 power strike and 125 WPF in 1h, my Masterwork Knightly Arming Sword is a beast versus anyone except the heaviest armored/healthed foes.  33+cut is no joke versus people in light heavy, or high-medium armor. 

In strat battles, blunt and pierce weapons are obviously the go to weapons over even the high cut weapons, due to people having such high armor values.  But even using some of the 34-36cut 1h weapons I still do pretty good damage due to my 7 power strike.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Palurgee

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
~
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 10:57:40 pm »
Disagreed.  It depends entirely on your power strike (and active WPF, to a lesser extent) versus the armor and total HP the guy you're facing has. 

With 7 power strike and 125 WPF in 1h, my Masterwork Knightly Arming Sword is a beast versus anyone except the heaviest armored/healthed foes.  33+cut is no joke versus people in light heavy, or high-medium armor. 

In strat battles, blunt and pierce weapons are obviously the go to weapons over even the high cut weapons, due to people having such high armor values.  But even using some of the 34-36cut 1h weapons I still do pretty good damage due to my 7 power strike.

That's what I think the problem with one-handers are -- you are very limited. To be effective against high-end armor (and even some medium armors) you need at least one of these choices:

A) a strength build
B) a loomed sword
C) a blunt/pierce weapon

One handed weapons are easily trumped by most two-handers and polearms without a shield (as most are faster, heavier, and longer). As a result you get a sort of vicious cycle; to increase your strength, you gain damage but lose some effectiveness with a shield. To increase agility, you lose damage but gain some effectiveness with a shield.

Also, there is very little variety in the one-handed section. Lets try to find the most varied one-handed weapons out there. Provided the weapons we compare have a gold value above 1.5k, this is probably what you'll find:

~35 difference in length
~5 difference in damage
a different damage type
~3 difference in speed
bonus versus shields
knockdown
secondary mode
~2 difference in weight

On the other hand(s), take the two most different double-handed weapons. Provided they are above a 1.5k gold value, this is probably what differences you'll find:

~120 difference in length
~25 difference in damage
a different damage type
~30 difference in speed
bonus versus shields
unbalanced
crushthrough
knockdown
can't use on horseback
~8 difference in weight
secondary mode
cannot be sheathed

In short, one-handed weapons are shitty and similar compared to polearms and two-handers.

Offline MrChubbikins

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 11:16:00 pm »

I can understand where you are coming from but whats the point of a Knightly Arming Sword when not on horse back when you have something like a Steel Pick which is faster, glances a whole lot less, deals more damage and you really don't need weapon mastery at all.

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 11:17:15 pm »
Thrust is your friend :)
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
Re: ~
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 11:23:04 pm »
+1
A) a strength build
B) a loomed sword
C) a blunt/pierce weapon

I had a 15/18 build with a non-loomed elite scimitar, and while it is weaker (no denying that), it's definitely useable with okay footwork.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Strategus Councillor
  • Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 11:25:51 pm »
I can understand where you are coming from but whats the point of a Knightly Arming Sword when not on horse back when you have something like a Steel Pick which is faster, glances a whole lot less, deals more damage and you really don't need weapon mastery at all.

My justification for using it (even when I only had 6 power strike) not on horseback (which I never use it from, or very rarely) is this:

It's a jack of all trades type of weapon (really this can be said for most of the reasons why someone uses a 1h sword over other 1h weapons):

It's not going to deal the most damage against heavily armored foes, but it will still deal moderate damage (compared to something like a warhammer or steel/military pick)
It's not going to be the fastest weapon, but it's going to be faster than most weapons being used (at least compared to 2h/poles)
Swords are one of the longest 1h weapons, so that is a big reason why I (and other 1h's) choose to use a sword.  If you hit the enemy with your sword (even a weaker hit than what you woulda done with a blunt/pierce weapon) at least you're getting some damage in.  Lots of times you wouldn't have been in range for the shorter blunt/pierce weapons to have hit the enemy.  Also when you hit the enemy, you stop them from hitting you.  Using a 1h sword you're able to kind of control the flow of battle and keep your enemy at bay easier than with a very short blunt/pierce weapon.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 11:27:06 pm »
My justification for using it (even when I only had 6 power strike) not on horseback (which I never use it from, or very rarely) is this:

It's a jack of all trades type of weapon (really this can be said for most of the reasons why someone uses a 1h sword over other 1h weapons):

It's not going to deal the most damage against heavily armored foes, but it will still deal moderate damage (compared to something like a warhammer or steel/military pick). 
It's not going to be the fastest weapon, but it's going to be faster than most weapons being used (at least compared to 2h/poles)
Swords are one of the longest 1h weapons, so that is a big reason why I (and other 1h's) choose to use a sword.
and thrust. THRUST!

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Strategus Councillor
  • Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2013, 11:27:54 pm »
and thrust. THRUST!

Right, and thrust (which is nice for heavily armored foes).  Thrust on 1h swords is pretty shitty though :P

Using an elite scimi with 5 power strike is really only something a sadist would do.   That's really pushing it.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Palurgee

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2013, 11:28:14 pm »
I had a 15/18 build with a non-loomed elite scimitar, and while it is weaker (no denying that), it's definitely useable with okay footwork.

Against medium and light armor, sure. High-end armor? I'm sure you got a lot of glance hits.

Offline MrChubbikins

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2013, 11:41:12 pm »

It's not going to deal the most damage against heavily armored foes, but it will still deal moderate damage (compared to something like a warhammer or steel/military pick). 
Swords are one of the longest 1h weapons, so that is a big reason why I (and other 1h's) choose to use a sword.

Jack of all trades, master of none is how I look at it. I enjoy using 1h swords for all of the same reasons but its very frustrating when a better score or k/d can be achieved with picks or maces because of sheer damage or knock down. Then there is Strat...good luck finding battles with decent 1h swords and good luck getting kills. It kinda takes away from the game for me when more than half of the weapons aren't even used in Strat.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2013, 11:55:02 pm »
+1
Against medium and light armor, sure. High-end armor? I'm sure you got a lot of glance hits.

No, with a couple of points invested into athletics and power strike, bouncing is either lag-related or your own fault (bad footwork, bad timing).
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 05:15:14 pm by Gurnisson »
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.