Author Topic: Nudge guide  (Read 62292 times)

Offline Macropus

• King
  • Renown: 1668
  • Infamy: 296
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macropus
Re: Nudge guide
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2013, 09:51:22 am »
+1
It was said that other classes will get their own nudge-like features in the future, but not as powerful as for 1h no shield.

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
  • Renown: 1856
  • Infamy: 338
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Sky belongs to Asagods as long as the raven flies.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Son_Of_Odin
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2013, 11:25:46 am »
+1
2h and pole nudges would look good if they would be done by hitting with the weapon. 2h hit with the pommel or hilt and poles could hit with the "usually not so lethal end" of the weapon or do "cross checking" for the faster version.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

There is no sight in my third eye

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2013, 03:05:40 pm »
+2
No, you cannot change the meaning of a word with hundreds of years of history: Swashbuckling means making a noise by beating a weapon or hand onto a shield. I'm sorry, I'm not being pedantic, you just CANNOT change the meaning of the word. Its like saying, yeah Im cavalry, because I shoot a bow.... it doesn't make sense, STOP DOING IT.

DONT take my word for it, look the word swashbuckle up yourself. FFS ppl, stop showing your ignorance.

swash·buck·ler  [swosh-buhk-ler, swawsh-] 
noun
a swaggering swordsman, soldier, or adventurer; daredevil.

1h without shield fits that definition to a T. Don't be so literal.

Offline Require

• Knight
  • Renown: 56
  • Infamy: 49
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Me, myself, and I
  • Game nicks: Require, Dragonanth
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2013, 05:50:14 am »
+1
1h stupid OP now. Being able to knock someone down while running at them? Yeah All other classes are fucked.

Offline Canuck

• Earl
  • Renown: 482
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Canuck
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2013, 05:54:40 am »
+1
Maybe closer to on par/slightly imbalanced in favour of 1h. Shouldn't every playstyle have a decent, balanced counter? Isn't it fair that being an skey hero is risky when fighting a short reach, weaker damage 1hander?

Offline Kaiser Augustus

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Knights of DuPrix
  • Game nicks: Kaiser_Augustus, Runner_of_Runnington
  • IRC nick: Augustus
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2013, 12:05:39 am »
+1
But going along with 1h is the abillity to spam feints, very fast attacks, and quickness b/c of shorter weapons. The devil is in the details.
For the glory of DuPrix!

Offline Duster

• Marshall
  • Renown: 730
  • Infamy: 89
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Mr_Pibb, Mellow_Yellowtf
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2013, 12:50:40 am »
+3
Literally every meelee weapon can spam feints, its up to you to fall for it. If anything, 1h is the riskiest weapon to over feint with, given the shortest reach (on average) and highest likelyhood to whiff off a bad angle.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Glaurung

• Knight
  • Renown: 49
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Glaurung, Fallen_Gnome, Fallen_Bernard_le_renard
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2013, 01:19:22 am »
+3
The main problem I have with nudge is that 1. There is no risk involved for the nudger as this is so quick it doesn't leave you open at all and 2. there is no counter.

Let's look at the kick: very powerful but hard move. Leaves you open AND immobile for like 2 secs. Also if I know a player will try to kick me I can dodge it by circling around him or by stopping before his foot is in range. It's all about timing!!!

Nudge: no right timing, you can do it while moving, no counter, no backfire if you miss. It might be hard to connect but it doesn't matter because you can try it every 3 seconds without any worries and there is no reason not to.

The only thing you can do against the nudge is S keying to stay away from 1 handers, but even that is risky since you'll get knockdown if they catch you!

« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 01:23:55 am by Glaurung »

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2013, 04:14:56 pm »
+6
The main problem I have with nudge is that 1. There is no risk involved for the nudger as this is so quick it doesn't leave you open at all and 2. there is no counter.

Let's look at the kick: very powerful but hard move. Leaves you open AND immobile for like 2 secs. Also if I know a player will try to kick me I can dodge it by circling around him or by stopping before his foot is in range. It's all about timing!!!

Nudge: no right timing, you can do it while moving, no counter, no backfire if you miss. It might be hard to connect but it doesn't matter because you can try it every 3 seconds without any worries and there is no reason not to.

The only thing you can do against the nudge is S keying to stay away from 1 handers, but even that is risky since you'll get knockdown if they catch you!

Agreed. Basically, nudge should consume your attack phase, not augment it. You should be trading the opportunity to attack to instead interrupt your opponent. The motive should be to either disrupt their rhythm or enable a teammate to hit them, but NOT enable a free hit from the nudge itself or from the "free" followup kick.

Basically, nudge should have no value in a duel situation other than disrupting the flow of the fight. Its utility should be to allow your teammates to get a hit on a defensive player.

Offline Jarold

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 142
  • "Always wear more armor than the guy next to you."
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarold
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2013, 06:35:56 pm »
+1
Yeah what Phew said!

I also feel like the cooldown is a little too short.

Offline Macropus

• King
  • Renown: 1668
  • Infamy: 296
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macropus
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2013, 06:58:02 pm »
+2
How I feel about nudges:
Low left cross(normal nudge):
Triggered with pressing v while not holding attack or defend. It is a quick punch that causes a very short stagger if it connects. The damage is very low, zero against most armor, even though gauntlet weight helps a bit. On the upside the punch itself is very quick, leaving oneself open for attacks for just a moment.

One special thing about this nudge is that it can knockdown someone who is attacking while running backwards. It is a shorter knockdown than from blunt weapons, but it still gives good chances to land a follow up attack.
The stun is really long. Definitely not a "very short". I mean, the animation of stagger itself is quick, but the actual stun last much longer, comparable with the kick stun.
Left straight(attack+nudge):
This one is done by holding attack and then pressing the v key. It is a stronger punch that causes a longer stagger and does a bit more damage than the normal nudge. It has a longer animation duration and it is thus less safe. However it can be a great tool to open up turtlers in group fights and with clever movement one can even land a follow-up attack in one-on-one.

It can knockdown someone who is doing a kick when he is getting nudged.
Funny feature - it only knockdowns when you kick while backpedalling (doesn't work if you're backpedalling in walking mode), and sometimes you can block instantly once knocked down, looks funny.

Shove(defend+nudge):
This one is triggered with holding the defend key and pressing v. It a pushing move that does (iirc) no damage but moves the target back a bit. Great to create some space or even get away from a pursuer in some situations. Also good for throwing someone into his doom from high places. However it is a long-ass animation and when it fails to connect one can be in serious trouble.
Seems to work instantly despite of the long animation.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2013, 08:37:19 pm »
+2
I agree with Phew only for the fast nudge. I think the attack/block nudge should be useful in a duel, too, but with more risk involved. Attack nudge stun needs to be decreased, also, and the attack nudge stun feels a lot less smooth than the quick nudge.

Offline Miwiw

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 525
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Miwiw
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2013, 08:15:15 pm »
+1
Why the fuck do I get knocked down with a nudge?
Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2013, 10:33:23 pm »
+1
Just wondering if nudge will possibly be rebindable at some point? I don't play with WASD thus the V key just isn't viable for me :(.

Offline Canuck

• Earl
  • Renown: 482
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Canuck
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2013, 10:41:56 pm »
+1
Nudge is triggered by the v key. Later with forced WSE2 clientside we might get a gamekey instead, so that it will be customisable then.

So later I guess.