Bring back jump throwing?

Yes
121 (73.8%)
No
31 (18.9%)
I don't know what it is.
12 (7.3%)

Total Members Voted: 163

Author Topic: Jump Throwing  (Read 7605 times)

Offline Micah

• Duke
  • Renown: 539
  • Infamy: 114
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Micah_Senpai_von_Krems Glance_the_Useless_von_Krems Arielle_the_little_Mermaid
Re: Jump Throwing
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2013, 02:01:25 pm »
Throwing never was and never will be superior to anything even with jumping back.

We're talking about throwing...
i must disagree. There was times when throwing was massive OP on the battlefield if there was many ... and there was many , believe me :mrgreen:. The problem with throwing is, that its something between melee and ranged (in the core idea) that makes it hard to adjusted imo. its now ok, with its reduced impact and accuracy...
I am writing long winded essays in shitty english.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2013, 02:54:57 pm »
+2
What I dont understand about Jump Throwing being removed, is that it didnt nerf or buff their "kiting" potential; it just added a glitch when you try to jump & play at the same time  :rolleyes:

Then bows (and to a lesser extend, crossbows) I agree that jump-shooting a lot was too efficient, but jump throwing ? Try to do that more than once when you're in a "duel" with a meleist that isnt slower than you...

So +1 to bringing it back, OR trying to find something to buff them a bit more, because atm Throwing has only one advantage and a lot of disadvantages:

- best ranged rate of fire

- but very low ammo (balances out the rate of fire a lot)

- average damage

- very low accuracy

- if you want to take a lot of them for more ammo, its almost costier than bows, and a lot more than crossbows...

Throwing is really a "dedicated class" in the sense that you really have to be a fucking badass to win the game with a thrower.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 02:59:15 pm by Butan »

Offline F i n

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1148
  • Infamy: 155
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • Hi
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fin
  • IRC nick: Fin
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2013, 03:05:01 pm »
dont use WSE2, problem solved! or at least you used to be able to

not working for eu1.
"Life was easier as a borderline alcoholic." (chadz, 2016)

Offline Miwiw

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 525
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Miwiw
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2013, 03:05:58 pm »
+1
If youre a thrower and in a duel with a melee guy who is slower than you, movementspeed-wise, it is no problem to kill that guy without jumping. I often just take some steps backward and throw another hammer and kill the guy instead of wasting time in close melee vs a 2h that is fully armored, got 50% more hp than I do and just 2hits me.
Besides I'm playing with 15-24 build, as 5 PS is enough to cause enough dmg most times but for 8 WM I need for some good aim. ;)

Jump throwing was always great cause its very useful in bigger melee fights.
Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2013, 03:23:18 pm »
+1
Good enough for me
Also, jump throwing compilation (starts at 0:40)

I know this discussion is tiresome, but you are comparing apples with oranges here. One is throwing in sports, other is throwing in military history. The first video for example is to pass the ball to your teammate, not to throw something at an enemy to penetrate his armour. And all those things thrown are balls, which weight almost nothing. Javelins and throwing axes are meant to be heavy so they can inflict actual damage, and thus it would be much more difficult to throw them (effectively) mid air.

Never mind, all I want to say is that I think there was not much jumpthrowing on the battlefields, and thus it looks weird to me and actually out of place. But just to comfort you a bit: I also think that jumping in melee is retarded, as you didn't jump in melee either, apart for the last, long, half jumped step when charging an enemy with all force. And I doubt this has been done a lot, because you are very vulnerable at that moment. Braveheart shouldn't be the reference there.

I would like to see the jump only as means of passing obstacles. I would make players move slower in the air than on the ground, and have some kind of recovery stun after landing. Perhaps then players would keep their goddamn feet on the ground, like on real battles, because I am a small realism-fanboy, and I like the atmosphere of being in a real battle. People bunnyhopping all around kills my immersion and the atmosphere, so I dislike it. But this is my PERSONAL opinion, and I can understand very well if someone has a less serious approach to the game and thus doesn't mind the weirdness factor, and sees the fun factor much more important. That's why I don't really lobby against jumps in the game, but I do also not support them. I just want to say my opinion that I'd prefer seeing all battle jumps gone.
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2013, 03:27:38 pm »
i must disagree. There was times when throwing was massive OP on the battlefield if there was many ... and there was many , believe me :mrgreen:......
Everything, besides melee is massive OP on the battlefield when its many. Massive ammounts of archers, cbows, cav.....etc

Offline F i n

• OKAM Developer
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2013, 03:29:42 pm »
+4
i must disagree. There was times when throwing was massive OP on the battlefield if there was many ... and there was many , believe me :mrgreen:.

OP means, that most of the kills are made by throwers... and thats just not true. The average thrower never decided a round. There are some good players out there, really killing everything with their throwing weapons - but thats just the same for other classes.

I could say "There are just too many 2h players. and when 5 of them are attacking me at once - they are OP... " That would be the same bullshitty complaint.

The problem with throwing is, that its something between melee and ranged (in the core idea) that makes it hard to adjusted imo. its now ok, with its reduced impact and accuracy...

Yes- Throwing is ok concerning damage, accuracy and cost i think (only talking about pierce weapons).

BUT the whole Axe-Line is completely useless when it comes to throwing - franciscas and throwing axes dont have enough damage, and the HTA - supposed to be at least equal to throwing spears IMO - are completely useless (low accuracy + low ammo + high weight = death to the old fin).

The major problem IMO is, that removing the jumpthrows (thats what this thread is about by the way) just made throwing it completely useless cus you cant help your teammates and its impossible to dodge and attack cav at the same time.  And since throwing is more of a melee-class than a ranged-class - i dont understand why a 2h is able to jump and swing with 2 hands, while a thrower is not just unable to jumpthrow but also gets glitches.

The only thing the devs have done really good in the past 6 months was annoying me.

And the reason for that isnt even the constant nerf  (I would accept that, if its justified), but the fact that this particular nerf was completely unjust AND not even explainable.

There was no reason for removing jumpthrowing. And there is no reason to Ignore all the ppl complaining about it.

Offline SirCymro_Crusader

• King
  • Renown: 1095
  • Infamy: 134
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2013, 03:29:56 pm »
+3
What happens when i can't jump throw....

What i think i'm like when i throw something and finally hit an enemy

Offline F i n

• OKAM Developer
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2013, 03:35:57 pm »
+5
I know this discussion is tiresome, but you are comparing apples with oranges here. One is throwing in sports, other is throwing in military history. The first video for example is to pass the ball to your teammate, not to throw something at an enemy to penetrate his armour. And all those things thrown are balls, which weight almost nothing. Javelins and throwing axes are meant to be heavy so they can inflict actual damage, and thus it would be much more difficult to throw them (effectively) mid air.

Oh please stop the realism-talk when theres 2h greatmaul plated guys out there that can jump and do 360° s while theyre overheading...

This is a fucking game - and as such it should be balanced or at least fun for every class available. That INCLUDES throwing. And if you dont accept that throwing is a class then see the throwingnerf through to the finish and just delete it instead of degrading it to a useless fringegroup.

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2013, 04:17:22 pm »
+1
Oh please stop the realism-talk when theres 2h greatmaul plated guys out there that can jump and do 360° s while theyre overheading...

You didn't read my second paragraph, did you?

This is a fucking game - and as such it should be balanced or at least fun for every class available. That INCLUDES throwing. And if you dont accept that throwing is a class then see the throwingnerf through to the finish and just delete it instead of degrading it to a useless fringegroup.

That is totally not what I wrote in my post!

I just didn't consider jumping a vital part of the thrower gameplay. If it poses a nerf for the class, buff it somewhere else. I understand why it has been taken out, but, as I said, I actually don't mind, because there is enough other stuff annoying me as well. So if you absolutely, positively need jumping (which I still don't believe, it was just a nice option, and now you have to change gameplay, like many other classes had to in the past) you can have it back. Just accept that I think it looks retarded if someone suddenly jumps up behind an enemy in front of me and hurls an axe into my face. It's like "WTF?".
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2013, 04:21:55 pm »
+21
Joker makes a very good point. Jump throwing re-added after the next server restart (tonight, if I don't forget).
EDIT: actually, gonna do it on the new server.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 12:35:53 am by cmpxchg8b »

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2013, 04:33:04 pm »
Joker makes a very good point. Jump throwing re-added after the next server restart (tonight, if I don't forget).
Love you for this. Really do, this the best news I've had for months now. I am so excited :D

THANK YOU, MIGHTY OVERLORD!
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline betard_lulz

• Count
  • Renown: 179
  • Infamy: 167
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2013, 04:42:18 pm »
ALL HAIL BASED CMP

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • Renown: 1525
  • Infamy: 402
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Prpavi, Prpafeee
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2013, 05:01:32 pm »
+3

And now he can't play because of "common sense" and he doesn't understand how this common sense works

Offline Berserkadin

• Duke
  • Renown: 592
  • Infamy: 145
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: -
  • Game nicks: Krewl_The_Urist_Fox
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2013, 05:19:40 pm »
Might be CMP's brother again.