Poll

Battalions should be more than just flags! Do you agree?

Yes!
No!

Author Topic: Battalion Speed  (Read 823 times)

Offline En_Dotter

• Earl
  • Renown: 330
  • Infamy: 97
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Quincy Clan
  • Game nicks: Main: Qunicy_En_Dotter; Alts: Guardian_En_Dotter; Guardian_Spiralle
Battalion Speed
« on: March 29, 2013, 05:44:14 pm »
+14
Im new, im lazy, i didnt seach the forum. So if this has been suggested before im sorry.

Name of the thread says "Battalion Speed", and that needs explanation. Everyone who uses WSE has an option to walk instead of running by pressing "ctrl" key. My idea is based on this feature. For everyone that has set a battalion that is not "Battalion 0" now has a speed of the slowest player in the battalion player has assigned himself to if they hold the "walk" button. So they cant walk anymore but they would have reduced run speed while holding "walk" button. Why would i ask for this? Lets say u are a shielder and u say all shielders take battalion 2. You can run at full speed by holding movement keys, but when u move holding "walk" button all shielders run at the same speed. Shieldwall can be effective in motion with no need of intense training cus u cant manage your speed as a group. Cav could benefit as well. Team charges could be much more useful if a cav formation would move in a line or wedge at the same speed.

If u want to be able to walk again just assign urself to battalion 0.

Thoughts?

P.S.
I dont know how to add poll here so if a moderator could add it it would be great. Just a simple poll (yes/no).
Ok i found out how to add polls.

P.P.S.
To avoid confusion. This wont be a buff to movement speed, this wont be a nerf to movement speed. This will be tactical option for players in battalions and its activated by holding down a button, and it turns off after u release it.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 05:57:33 pm by En_Dotter »
Nothing is better than eternal happiness.
Eating a sandwich is better than nothing.
Therefore, eating a sandwich is better than eternal happiness.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
Re: Battalion Speed
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 05:53:39 pm »
There was a kind of idea like that, making the "walking speed" universal.

Combining it to the batallion could be a great way to not fuck over all the walking speed of all chars.

Offline Zox_Fury

• Baron
  • Renown: 142
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
  • La illaha il'Allah
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Zox_Fury
  • IRC nick: Zox_Fury
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 06:20:08 pm »
Epic idea to group up and don t see shielders go and Hard hitter uncovered chase them :-p

There is only +++ to add it about strategy and tactics . I like it

+1
Subhan'LLAH wa bihamdih

Offline Sandersson Jankins

• King
  • Renown: 1450
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA Apologists
  • Game nicks: fnord
  • IRC nick: "There's always a bigger nerd"- Qui-Gong Jim, Star Trek IV: Electric Boogalo
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 06:35:29 pm »
Really cool idea. +1
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

the administrator of this forum is the Internet Keyboard man? Can only play "authority" in the virtual world?Can you tell me why?

Offline Vermilion

• Count
  • Renown: 208
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vermilion
  • IRC nick: Vermilion
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 07:23:34 pm »
+1
Good idea... But I think something like a formation button would be better. Get into a shield wall the press 'assigned button' and you join the formation leader then does the movement for the group and everyone moves at the leaders speed.

If you hit any button you disconnect from the formation.

Offline maat

• Knight
  • Renown: 53
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Quincy clan
  • Game nicks: Quincy_Maat Guardian_mjollnir Guardian_Amam WATTtheJOKER Guardian_Maat
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 07:55:22 pm »
+10 , for nice shielder CHARGES  :o
"La flèche que tu lances contre un juste reviendra sur toi"
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline En_Dotter

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Main: Qunicy_En_Dotter; Alts: Guardian_En_Dotter; Guardian_Spiralle
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 06:59:16 pm »
Good idea... But I think something like a formation button would be better. Get into a shield wall the press 'assigned button' and you join the formation leader then does the movement for the group and everyone moves at the leaders speed.

If you hit any button you disconnect from the formation.

I wouldnt like that. Formations should something be u need to train with people. While training should be required it shouldnt be so hard. After all solders know how to move at the same speed. The game doesnt allow it. So make it realistic and not automatic ;)

Offline Vermilion

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 07:48:27 pm »
I wouldnt like that. Formations should something be u need to train with people. While training should be required it shouldnt be so hard. After all solders know how to move at the same speed. The game doesnt allow it. So make it realistic and not automatic ;)

As you say train them... If you train people to walk forward as a shield wall there is no reason why they can't all move at the same rate. I have been in a few shield walls and never had a problem keeping moving at the same rate as everyone else. They usually fall apart when you try to change direction or location because it's difficult to explain where you mean whilst in battle. A auto formation would allow you to turn the entire shield wall a different direction or move them forward 4 passes as one.. By having it so if you press any button you disengage this means you still need skill because if someone approaches and you want to attack or change your personal direction you still have to do this manually. Thus making the formation tactic only useful whilst setting up or holding ground protecting your army from archers. This wouldn't cause an unfair advantage or an unbreakable shield wall which would result in a stalemate in battle.

Also if you were set to battalion 2 and it decreased your movement speed this would change the way you fight... I think a lot of people would get annoyed that their foot work would be different. IMO Boosting peoples movement speed would be 8/10 times advantageous.. whilst limiting it to the slowest would only be advantageous around 3/10 times maximum.

Offline Vermilion

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 07:55:23 pm »
How about instead of a battalion speed....

Speed is adjusted when you're next to other shielders. Like how you get +1 shield bonus when you're next to someone.

I know this is against you're original idea of increasing the functionality of battalions but it may be a more elegant solution :-)

Offline Spa_geh_tea

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 114
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bearded Vagrant
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2013, 02:59:00 pm »
As you say train them... If you train people to walk forward as a shield wall there is no reason why they can't all move at the same rate. I have been in a few shield walls and never had a problem keeping moving at the same rate as everyone else. They usually fall apart when you try to change direction or location because it's difficult to explain where you mean whilst in battle. A auto formation would allow you to turn the entire shield wall a different direction or move them forward 4 passes as one.. By having it so if you press any button you disengage this means you still need skill because if someone approaches and you want to attack or change your personal direction you still have to do this manually. Thus making the formation tactic only useful whilst setting up or holding ground protecting your army from archers. This wouldn't cause an unfair advantage or an unbreakable shield wall which would result in a stalemate in battle.

Also if you were set to battalion 2 and it decreased your movement speed this would change the way you fight... I think a lot of people would get annoyed that their foot work would be different. IMO Boosting peoples movement speed would be 8/10 times advantageous.. whilst limiting it to the slowest would only be advantageous around 3/10 times maximum.

Battalion assigns leader.
Leader defines pace.
Players in battalion toggle a key to match pace.
Players can release key and go back to the norm for their character.

Culmination of everyone's idea, any issues with what is above?

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2013, 04:23:45 pm »
Battalion assigns leader.
Leader defines pace.
Players in battalion toggle a key to match pace.
Players can release key and go back to the norm for their character.

Culmination of everyone's idea, any issues with what is above?

Sounds OK.

In strategus most players uses battalion already, if they could become used to clicking on the left-control key and move in formation (could be useful when moving toward the enemy with a shieldwall) it would become a good asset in the commander arsenal.

Offline En_Dotter

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2013, 12:57:27 pm »
A friendly thread bump since its been forgotten for some time. :)