Author Topic: Siege Beta: guide/explanation (wip)  (Read 4210 times)

Offline Fips

• King
  • Renown: 1217
  • Infamy: 290
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Holy Roman Empire
  • Game nicks: Fips_HRE
Re: Siege Beta: guide/explanation (wip)
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2013, 03:38:13 am »
+3
Holy shit that would be epic.

I hope it will be. Balancing this map for the 1flag-system is already hard, with more than 1 it will be a lot easier to do.

I would like to see banner-balance to pop in at the beginning of those big rounds, though. It's cool to play against clanmates if the rounds are like 10 minutes or less, but on those big ones (like the 30min we have on the new maps) it would be nice to have it from the beginning. For teamworks sake!

Offline KingBread

• Earl
  • Renown: 445
  • Infamy: 42
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen
  • Game nicks: KingBread
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2013, 09:48:00 am »
All Fips maps look like they could use this. Cos they were large you shrink them and now you can unshrink them and add more flags !
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2013, 10:23:16 am »
+2
True dat, you can actually make a completely functional Helm's Deep now with correct stages and shit. Due to having only one flag and a 30s spawn timer for defender, mappers were really limited in the size of the castles they could make. A lot of maps suffer from being too big. Now you can just put some layers in there and have enormous fucking castles. I am pretty excited about doing some mapping for this, loads of possibilites, if only my module wouldn't keep crashing if I modify a lot of terrain.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2013, 10:26:55 am »
This has potential :)

Offline Algarn

• King
  • Renown: 1230
  • Infamy: 268
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Algarn, Jorick
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2013, 10:27:38 am »
Add a better reward system !!! that's shit to play 30 minutes with a x1 !! Suggestions had been posted by me and Haboe

Offline Moncho

• King
  • Renown: 1127
  • Infamy: 221
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Moncho, Some_Random_STF, Some_Random_Troll
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2013, 10:51:14 am »
+2
Very nice, been waiting for this for a long time, and it did not disappoint. Fun despite the 2h axe spammers that I met wherever I went.

A couple of details:
Before, a single defender at the flag stopped the capture. Has it been changed so that you need at least the same number of defenders as of attackers to stop the capture?

About the xp system, could it be done a bit like in Strat, with defenders increasing the xp gained (multi for now) for holding flags as they are for a few minutes and attackers getting it by capturing and holding flags?

Also, will there be any sort of balance throughout the round other than by players joining? Imagine that there is a big clan all in one team and they have to leave for whatever reason, making the player number 20-35, is anything done to balance them?

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2013, 10:52:54 am »
pras

Offline Tristan

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 52
  • cRPG Player
  • Listen to wisdom!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Guards)
  • Game nicks: Guard_Tristan
  • IRC nick: Guard_Tristan
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2013, 11:40:09 am »
+2
It is definitely moving in the right direction. Rewards is a problem for several reasons:

Having x2+ for 30+ min is a lot
Having only upkeep once is very very cheap
Having x1 for 30+ min is not a lot of fun

In other words, maybe mulitiplier should be (could be?) connected to flag capture? Same with upkeep?
He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief. He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened his mouth.

Offline Knitler

• Earl
  • Renown: 456
  • Infamy: 91
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Worlds Cutest Dictator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2013, 11:50:24 am »
- Mapcreators now can:
Set multiple Flags
Change Map Duration
Change Respawn Times

Would it be possible that there will be a new tab or in the "Server rules" how much time to respawn the attackers/defenders, how much flags. Etc. the map got? Would be helpful tough.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Herr_Thomas

• Baron
  • Renown: 110
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Wolfgang
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2013, 01:59:16 pm »
Any plans to make the 3D map rebind-able? I currently use left alt for view outfit and it's kind of distracting/disorienting.

Definitely liking the progress thus far, though.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Oh, and style matters way more than anything else regarding armor.

Offline Ozin

• Duke
  • Renown: 584
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • IRC nick: Ozin
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2013, 03:23:46 pm »
+1
Any plans to make the 3D map rebind-able? I currently use left alt for view outfit and it's kind of distracting/disorienting.

Definitely liking the progress thus far, though.
Not unless we start requiring WSE2 for all gamemodes, which very well might happen eventually

Offline kinngrimm

• King
  • Renown: 1026
  • Infamy: 320
    • View Profile
    • The Betrayer of Nations
  • Faction: Wolves of Fenris
  • Game nicks: kinngrimm, Karma
  • IRC nick: kinngrimm
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2013, 03:29:13 pm »
Not unless we start requiring WSE2 for all gamemodes, which very well might happen eventually
i still don't use WSE2 regularly like others too, as it doesn't play always well with strategus. It seems to hinder you to connect to strategus battles. ATM when someone has problems connecting to strat battle one of the first questions people ask is, do you have WSE2 enabled, if yes disable try again.
learn from the past, live the moment, dream of the future

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2013, 03:32:21 pm »
I am psyched about this game mode; great work Ozin. As stated before, the multiplier system is a poor fit for conquest; I'm an advocate of XP/gold being given as rewards for kills/damage in vicinity of contested flags, combined with a team-wide bonus for a successful flag defense or capture. Basically XP barn, with the flags being the barns.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2013, 03:35:47 pm »
+3
Just put constant x2 (roughly equivalent to battle). The multiplier system is detrimental to fun gameplay.

Offline Angellore

• Count
  • Renown: 275
  • Infamy: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2013, 04:43:52 pm »
+6
I appreciate effort you guys put into this game mode, but Conquest idea just don't fit Siege at all.

Let's think a while about original Conquest game mode, made by Taleworlds (and available to use in cRPG without any effort at all):
- Both teams start with some specific points (let's say 300 points)
- There are 5 (or less) flags on the map
- When game starts, both teams has 1 flag on their side, all other flags are neutral
- Every team can capture any flag on the map
- Captured flag takes 1 point per second from enemy team points
- Team which first get 0 points, loses
In original Conquest game mode, all sides has equal chances, everything is easy to understand and works briliantly.

The problem with current cRPG Conquest-Siege is, it's impossible to balance it. It's not about making defenders respawn time longer. You can't balance this mode well, because number of players will be different all the time (the more players, the harder it will be to take flag for attackers - the less players, the harder it will be to defend the flags for defenders). You also can't balance it because every map is different, some respawn time settings will work on one map, but won't work on the other.

I don't really understand why didn't you use original Conquest game mode and add few features there (like map preview, respawn point chosing, flag markers etc). That would be balanced by itself, because there would be no "defenders" and "attackers", both teams would have equal chances to get flags.
Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate your work, but I just don't understand why to complicate things by trying to merge Siege and Conquest into one mode, when you could just tweak native Conquest game mode. Less work and it would be balanced by default, objectives would be same for both teams (control more flags than enemy over time). I think it would be also funnier and more tactical. You don't have to take specific flag in original Conquest, you don't need to fight over one flag all the time, which is just boring, especially on Siege maps (you need to use same corridols/alleys all over again to get into that specific flag, which is of course full of defenders).

I would prefer to see original Conquest game mode tweaked for cRPG instead of merged Conquest-Siege thing we have now.