Author Topic: Mercenaries..their role in history and their role now.  (Read 1252 times)

Offline Ras_FrenzYYY

• Mad Cuz Bad
  • Earl
  • Renown: 363
  • Infamy: 482
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Mercenaries..their role in history and their role now.
« on: March 11, 2013, 04:22:02 pm »
Mercenaries is one the oldest profession in the world.When we look at the reported history of war like the Battle of Kadesh 1274 BC we can see that it had Mercenaries fighting them.In medieval period (Medieval period is the epoch just before national armies are formed and the sense of national identity is lacking) after the 100 years war professional soldiers didnt want to go back to England so they created the so called English companies.Those English companies ravish  France and they moved to Italy when they became incredibly rich.There is studies that shown that Mercenaries where stimulus in the economy of Italy and that economy of Italy survived and later became the greatest economy in Europe (Renaissance) because of that mercenary phenomena.
Now  we have the so called PMC (private military companies) that they are part and the core of the military industrial complex but also we have as i call them the "rogue-mercenaries" whom we can see them operate in countries like Libya-Syria and so on...

There is no difference between then and now.if you have the money you can buy them and murder anyone you want and destroy whole countries.Military superiority is what rules the world nothing changed.Only the method changes.

Love and kisses to all

War is the proof that humanity is still uncivilized

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened"

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
Re: Mercenaries..their role in history and their role now.
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 04:33:30 pm »
erm ok? what has this got to do with crpg :D
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 05:14:05 pm »
I don't know what this is about, it's stupid though.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 05:21:02 pm »
+6
Mercenaries in the medieval period are an interesting thing, they are well studied in the Italian pennisualr and the south of europe but somewhat neglected in other areas. One of the most significant turning points in English medieval history (Post 1066) was the reign of King Stephen, and the wars of succession.  Mercenaries were increidbly important in his early campaign and it was division between the mercenary and feudal forces of stephen's army that fundementally weakened his hold on Normandy. 

I personally believe it's very important to distinguish between travelling bands of Knights who may change loyalty and allegiance, and mercenary bands. Although both were often reliant on payment being a mercenary is almost always recorded in written works ina negative light. Bands of mercenaries are often reported for their detrimental effect on relations between whomever they are serving and where ever they are placed.  The behaviour of mercenaries may be recorded as looting and plunderign while that of a band of knights would be viewed as a chivalric act.  In instances the two assimilate and change depending on culture and language, but they have intrinsically differnt identities in the medieval period.

I try to avoid referring to anyone as a 'professional soldier' in the medieval period, as it is more an expected way of life than simply a profession.  The orders of medival society in their own imaginign are those who pray, those who fight and those who toil.  Those that dared to enter into the realm of war were often the subject of ridicule at the hands of the aristocratic powers.

I think drawing any comparison from a medieval mercenary band to a modern PMC, although amusing, is fairly pointless.

Check out William Urban's 'Medieval mercenaries: the business of war' (2006) for some great insight into their importance, and how perceptions of 'professional' soldiery changed in the medieval period.
Turtles

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 06:04:59 pm »
erm ok? what has this got to do with crpg :D

Cant you read? He clearly said "nerf archer".

Offline Armpit_Sweat

• High Lord of the Spam
  • King
  • Renown: 1417
  • Infamy: 154
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Armpit_Sweat, My_horses_name_is_Rebecca
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 03:58:37 pm »
+17
Mercenaries is one the oldest profession in the world.

Your mom's profession is older.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
  Spam at The Temple of Spam