Author Topic: Your Favorite Battles  (Read 9678 times)

Offline War_Ferret

• Count
  • Renown: 182
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Your Favorite Battles
« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2013, 01:21:01 am »
Dying isn't the goal.

If you don't want to be a conformist (which is perfectly understandable), there are other ways to express yourself or live alternatively, without terror and death.
Although I don't see how being a soldier, having to function like a tool with no purpose but to serve, wouldn't be much worse, even.

If you want adventure and company, join the super adventure club.

Or am I still missing the point?

Offline War_Ferret

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 06, 2013, 01:23:51 am »
yes because people in medieval europe had the same thoughts culture and goals as you mr ferret ^^

Im sure they also had lots of choice when called to fight by their lords at the start.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infantry_in_the_Middle_Ages

i read in a book once probably historical fiction and totally a lie but it made sense and stuck with me :D why tend a field for £1 when i can stand behind a pike for £10 (clearly the money i made up) but you get my drift :P not to mention the propaganda and nationalism hell why did anyone fight ever ^^

I am not saying people had a choice or were informed enough to judge for themselves. But that only makes it even more... awesome.  :mrgreen:

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 06, 2013, 01:26:21 am »
If you don't want to be a conformist (which is perfectly understandable), there are other ways to express yourself or live alternatively, without terror and death.
Although I don't see how being a soldier, having to function like a tool with no purpose but to serve, wouldn't be much worse, even.

If you want adventure and company, join the super adventure club.

Or am I still missing the point?
Yes, you are missing the point. 

“Why do you live the way you do? Why be a mercenary and go around making wars on people?”

“I don’t make wars. The world we live in makes wars, led and governed by men who pretend they are creatures of morality and integrity, whereas most of them are self-seeking bastards. They make the wars, for increased profits or increased power. I just fight the wars because it’s the way I like to live.”

“Buy why for money? Mercenaries fight for money, don’t they?”

“Not only the money. The bums do, but when it comes to a crunch the bums who style themselves mercenaries usually don’t fight. They run away. Most of the best ones fight for the same reason I do; they enjoy the life, the hard living, the combat.”
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline War_Ferret

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2013, 02:02:20 am »
Ok then, I hope they also enjoy the looting, burning, raping and massacring civilians.

Who are you quoting anyway?

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 06, 2013, 02:04:26 am »
Forsyth. And considering how ubiquitous the above have been throughout history, yes, there's no problem finding people who enjoy it, seeing as it's human nature.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline War_Ferret

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 06, 2013, 08:53:15 am »
To each their own, but for me it's just a game  :D

By "really high quality of living" you mean having shit loads of money, I assume.
If you can still look into the mirror by the time you have it, I guess that's nice.
But you shouldn't forget that the system only allows a very small percentage to enjoy luxury by exploiting the majority and making them work for their gain.
Few people "aspire" into that anyway, least of all the common soldier. You are usually born into it.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 06, 2013, 09:07:49 am »
Of course most people are 'born' into it, but that doesn't mean they were any worse off in a military than they would have been otherwise. What they had to look forward to in civilian life was suffering and boredom, their lives having no purpose other than to secure enough food to live yet another day, so that they could repeat the process again. At that point in time, everyone died, no exceptions. As Agent Cho says, nothing is quite as invigorating as mortal combat. At least that way, you'd get some excitement in your life before your death; as opposed to living as a peasant with nothing to look forward to at all.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.