Author Topic: Your Favorite Battles  (Read 9673 times)

Offline Torost

• Count
  • Renown: 292
  • Infamy: 109
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Your Favorite Battles
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2013, 12:14:20 am »
Not a specific battle, but a long series of them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opium_Wars

Very interresting backdrop and cultureclash. The british litteraly steamrolls over the chinese in every encounter.
Naval artillery bombardment versus forts stuffed with soldiers wielding meleeweapons and lowtech muskets. No cover from above.
And the chinese make the most absurd countermeasures.
Every chrushing defeat gets reportet as a glorious victory to the emperor.

The right to sell opium to chinese addict was glorious cause for the british empire. :evil:

Halfway thru this book now http://www.theguardian.com/books/2011/sep/02/opium-war-julia-lovell-review
the book does a great job of getting into the nitty gritty and the issues beyond the battlefield. It is a good read.

Offline Korgoth

• Marshall
  • Renown: 742
  • Infamy: 100
  • cRPG Player
  • I've dated girls uglier than you for Breakfast
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Basileia ton Romaion
  • Game nicks: Korgoth
  • IRC nick: Korgoth
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2013, 03:01:59 am »
Not sure if anyone posted any as late as this but WW2 is actually my favourite History subject.

I really like a lot of the battles on the Eastern Front like Stalingrad, Kharkov and Kursk. On the Western front I love the Ardennes Offensive and the Hürtgen. Ofcourse I'm a fan of the Battle for Normandy but it's just so overused in games and movies that it's gotten very boring. Also for some reason I love Winter battles, I just think soldiers look so much cooler in Winter uniforms.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Korgoth's Retextures
Korgoth's Hierloom Stall

Offline Franke

• Earl
  • Renown: 384
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Franke_HRE and Frankes_STF_HRE
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2013, 02:55:24 am »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_K%C3%B6niggr%C3%A4tz.

Maybe not my favourite battle but an interesting one. The climax of the Austro-Prussian (or German-German) War 1866, and a rather impressive example what technological and logistical advantage as well as centralized leadership can do against superior numbers (beyond the usual "Spear-armed-natives-charging-a-breech-loading-rifle-armed-thin-red-line" pattern).
Quote from: Tindel
In teamspeak i like to hear all of your opinions on; beer and alcohol, chocolate chip cookies, social problems and their solutions, massmurderers, why ranged should burn in hell, hating on new maps, hating on old maps.

Offline Lars

• Earl
  • Renown: 346
  • Infamy: 34
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2013, 01:52:04 pm »
+4
I'm quite fascinated by the conditions and the terrain in which WW1 was fought on the alpine front.It was a weird war, a struggle against the enemy and  nature:  avalanches, cold,  long winters (that could last ~8-9 months  depending on the altitude) and  storms/blizzards .  One of the great logistic problems was to transport equipment /supply continuously the positions on such a rough terrain. Mountains were  seen as an obstacle and were  a place partly unknown (especially at high altitudes), a place   definetely not suitable for life ( at least human life) or to stay there for long periods  .   For ~3 years and a half hundreds of thousands of soldiers lived/fought/died at altitudes above 2000 meters . 
I post some pictures below, afterall a picture is worth a thousand words.

WW1  trenches/positions - alpine front (1915-1918)
(click to show/hide)

You shall not pass
(click to show/hide)

Machine gun on mountain Padon
(click to show/hide)

Cannon on mt. Ortler/Ortles ~3900 meters above sea level ( i don't know if this is the top of the mountain)
(click to show/hide)

Somewhere in the alps
(click to show/hide)

Wounded soldier
(click to show/hide)

Going up/climbing
(click to show/hide)
Descending?
(click to show/hide)

Morning gathering/muster
(click to show/hide)

Sentry
(click to show/hide)

Kaiserjäger somewhere in the Dolomites alps
(click to show/hide)

The glacier is melting
(click to show/hide)

Bodies of WW1 soldiers found in the ice some years ago *Warning:Graphic*
(click to show/hide)

Videos Warning : annoying music
(click to show/hide)

I definetely went off-topic...  anyway, my "favorite" battles are probably the one in which both contendants had a similar technology/strenght, so  i would say one of the battles of the Punic wars between ancient Rome and Carthage.

Maybe battle of Cannae and Zama  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Cannae         http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Zama

Modern times, mmm i guess one of the battles fought during Napoleonic era.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 03:44:07 pm by Lars »

Offline Gnjus

• King
  • Renown: 1831
  • Infamy: 397
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Siktir git, pislik okçu.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Turklings
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2013, 10:04:38 am »
My favorite battle: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Alamo

U.S.A. ! U.S.A ! U.S.A !
Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.

Offline Cicero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 418
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
  • scourge of god
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BashiBazouks
  • Game nicks: BashiBazouks_Cicero
  • IRC nick: Cicero
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2013, 11:30:59 am »
Loser, idiot and an ignorant. How do you know you are a Turk? Maybe your ancestor is one of those janissaries. Respect! We dont talk about blood and racism here, our issue is culture, you fool.
You say your histor begins after 19 may 1919 but you dont know what being Turk, right? It is not about blood, it is about culture.
you say Ottoman Empire is cruel? Omg, you fucking byzantium my old friend.
(click to show/hide)

Lemme translate the best quote of abay ever ;

"Bok böceği gibisin , onların bokları sana tat veriyor."

"You are like a shit bug , their shit gives you pleasure."

Even hardcore then 9 years old girl.

Offline the real god emperor

• King
  • Renown: 1630
  • Infamy: 348
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • Et tu, Brute?
    • View Profile
    • Click for gifts
  • Faction: Rome
  • Game nicks: Captain_Sweden
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2013, 12:23:09 pm »
Loser idiot and ignorant byzantium* my old friends deserve this
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 12:27:24 pm by Kratos »

Offline Morris

• Duke
  • Renown: 507
  • Infamy: 147
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2013, 05:09:16 am »
fuckin nerds

Offline Bittersteel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 919
  • Infamy: 199
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Créme
  • Game nicks: Tybalt_von_Krems, Lennart_Bladh
  • IRC nick: Bittersteel
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2013, 02:33:06 pm »
+1
In most of the battles mentioned above - with a few exceptions - the number of troops of both sides was pretty similar. And part of them is hard to call decisive victory, e.g. Motnmirail:

In the other battles advantage of coalition wasn't so significant. e.g. Rivoli: 23,000 vs 28,000. On the other hand Rossbach: 22 k vs 42 k, Leuthen 36 k vs 80 k, and in both these battles Prussia basically destroyed opponents armies.

Oh thank god. You have no idea how long i've been looking for someone to even know who Frederick is. I keep on telling them "One of the greatest general ever known and was always on the offensive even against greater numbers." It's sad that there is so few people that know about him. My personal favorite is battle of Leuthen. Like Napoleon would have said "Gentlemen, if this man was still alive I would not be here". 

Even have him as profile pictures on every forum i visit :P

Offline Flans

• Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 147
  • cRPG Player
  • I come to eat you at night
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmar
  • Game nicks: Kalmarunion_Odysseus
  • IRC nick: Flans
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 01:50:08 am by Flans »
I wanted an avatar as cool as the Nords ones, but I have no skill with Photoshop, or Illustrator or anything like that >:(

Offline Lord_Bernie_of_Voodoo

• Earl
  • Renown: 372
  • Infamy: 46
  • cRPG Player
  • Remove Great Lances 2015
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Bernie
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2013, 06:52:17 am »
+1
I'm quite fascinated by the conditions and the terrain in which WW1 was fought on the alpine front.
It was a weird war, a struggle against the enemy and  nature:  avalanches, cold,  long winters (that could last ~8-9 months  depending on the altitude) and  storms/blizzards  .  One of the great logistic problem was to transport equipment /supply continuously the positions on such a rough terrain. Mountains were always seen as an obstacle and a place partly unknown before (especially at high altitudes), a place  definitely not  suited for life or to stay there for long periods.   For ~3 years and a half hundreds of thousands of soldiers lived/fought/died at altitudes above 2000 meters . 
I post some pictures below, afterall a picture is worth a thousand words.

WW1  trenches/positions - alpine front (1915-1918)
(click to show/hide)

You shall not pass
(click to show/hide)

Machine gun on mountain Padon
(click to show/hide)

Cannon on mt. Ortler/Ortles ~3900 meters above sea level ( i don't know if this is the top of the mountain)
(click to show/hide)

Somewhere in the alps
(click to show/hide)

Wounded soldier
(click to show/hide)

Ascending/climbing
(click to show/hide)
Descending?
(click to show/hide)

Morning gathering
(click to show/hide)

Sentry
(click to show/hide)

Kaiserjäger somewhere in the Dolomites alps
(click to show/hide)

The glacier is melting
(click to show/hide)

Remains of  WW1 soldiers found  some years ago *Warning:Graphic*
(click to show/hide)

Videos Warning : annoying music
(click to show/hide)

I definetely went off-topic...  anyway, my "favorite" battles are probably the one in which both contendants had a similar technology/strenght, so  i would say one of the battles of the Punic wars between ancient Rome and Carthage.

Maybe battle of Cannae and Zama  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Cannae http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Zama

Modern times, mmm i guess one of the battles fought during Napoleonic era.

I've never read up on this and I have to say, that's fucking insane. Thanks for the share.

Offline Lars

• Earl
  • Renown: 346
  • Infamy: 34
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2013, 10:24:08 pm »
+1
I've never read up on this and I have to say, that's fucking insane. Thanks for the share.

You are welcome. The alpine front, gebirgskrieg in German( mountain war) also known as "the white war" isn't very popular, even though it was probably the biggest  mountain war in history ( or one of the biggest), during ww1 ~four-fifth of the Austrian-Italian front was formed by mountains.
I guess it's not known abroad, probably because the largest slaughters took place  on the western and eastern front ( until the Russian revolution) and generally in the plains-field, maybe also because it was a war where sometimes nature  imposed forced "breaks" on both sides  (while i think on the western front and in the field-plains, big or small fights took place almost every day), due to the fact that in some cases it wasn't techically possible to get "near" the enemy, like for example during part of winter 1916-1917, which is considered to be one of the most snowy and coldest winter of the 20th century, if the weapons were "quiet" or their use  was limited, on the other hand giant avalanches steamrolled entire columns of soldiers, outposts, trenches etc...

A  studio named "Geosfilm" is making a movie about the alpine front that should be released in 2014, judging by the number of actors-figurants you can see in the trailer i guess they didn't have a great budget, so don't expect any big fight, i just hope the movie will be historically accurate.

The movie is called "Tränen der Sextner Dolomiten"  "Tears of the Sexter/Sesto dolomites" trailer  :arrow:

The same studio was supposed to release another movie about ww1, but i guess that the project was cancelled because the trailer is dated 9 August 2012.   Trailer --->   
(click to show/hide)

Probably the most "famous" movie is "Berge in flammen" " Mountains in flames/on fire"  made by Luis Trenker  in 1931
(click to show/hide)

There are serveral books that talk about the war on the alps, but i don't know if you can find 'em translated in English, if you can and you are interested, i suggest  this book http://www.amazon.com/lunga-trincea-1915-1918-Valsugana-Panarotta/dp/8881300427 .

Found these books in English http://www.amazon.com/The-White-War-Italian-1915-1919/dp/0465020372 ( guess they made a mistake in the tile, cuz the war ended in November 1918)  and  :arrow: http://www.amazon.com/Battles-Alps-History-Italian-Front/dp/1607030373/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1379879750&sr=1-1&keywords=ww1+alps

« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 05:44:42 pm by Lars »

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2013, 08:10:11 pm »
Britain vs Sikh Empire two interesting battles with wiki links and just some quotes :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Ferozeshah
"The British emerged victorious, but the battle was one of the hardest-fought in the history of the British Army"

Casualties and losses
  Sikh Empire                     East India Company
~3,000 casualties       694 killed 1,721 wounded[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Aliwal

Many commentators referred to Smith's victory as the "Battle without a mistake".[4] Except for the 16th Lancers, who lost 144 men out of about 300, few of Smith's units had heavy casualties.

Stength

Sikh Empire             East India Company
20000 men              12000 men
69-70 guns              30-32 guns

Casualties

2000-3000             673-850
67 guns

i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2013, 01:19:50 am »
+1
Nice to see im not the only wiki-battle-list addict around here. I really learnt a lot reading battle reports when I first saw this wikipedia section.

Like a lot of people here, I like when odds are not really favorable on the paper, but the overwhelmed party still win the day. It happened a lot in sieges and particularly in the first siege of Rhodos which is probably one of the most impressive siege defense heroic victory.

Some years later, they came back with an even more retardly big army and this time they took the island in the second siege of Rhodos.

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2013, 08:03:29 pm »
yeah i find wiki to be a great source for finding out about battles/events you don't know too much about, People can complain about its accuracy etc but you cant deny its a good gateway :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Brunanburh

Epic battle described as"the greatest single battle in Anglo-Saxon history before the Battle of Hastings."

The medieval records of the battle are too elusive to trace the course of the battle with any surety, but the sources consistently describe it as a massive and bloody engagement even within the context of warfare in the Middle Ages.[15][16][17]
The famous poem about the battle in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle records the deaths of five kings and seven earls among Æthelstan's enemies, along with (or among them) Constantine's son:
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 02:51:54 pm by Osiris »
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk