Author Topic: Creative Assembly announces partnership with Games Workshop  (Read 5306 times)

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Creative Assembly announces partnership with Games Workshop
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2013, 09:34:27 pm »
+2
Asia Total War please

Offline okiN

• Marshall
  • Renown: 924
  • Infamy: 129
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2013, 09:42:45 pm »
A.K.A. what Shogun 2 should have been? We probably won't be seeing that any time soon.

Or, you know, ever. The mainstream crowd doesn't really seem to care about any part of Asia other than Japan.
Don't.

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2013, 09:52:13 pm »
Well they could just make a euriasian TW game, 1066-1600

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2013, 10:21:01 pm »
+1
Antarctica: Total War
Turtles

Offline ThePoopy

• Earl
  • Renown: 411
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • .l..
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templar
  • Game nicks: PolePoop
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2013, 10:30:53 pm »
200.000.000 BC: Total War

Offline donib

• Count
  • Renown: 295
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
  • Slow money, slow problems
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Donib
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2013, 10:40:22 pm »
+1
Ghandi Total Peace

(click to show/hide)

Asia Total War please

Yea chinese warring states period would be awesome

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2013, 04:56:20 pm »
The prob with that is they all use the same units.

Offline okiN

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2013, 07:20:15 pm »
+1
That wasn't a problem with Shogun 2, apparently.
Don't.

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2013, 08:39:51 pm »
people bought it cuz it was an upgraded engine/campaign map and was polished, but there was a lot of complaining on forums about lack of unit diversity.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 09:16:51 pm by Turboflex »

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2013, 06:05:20 pm »
Fuck the new engine, the most important gameplay enhancement that they've neglected in practically every iteration of TW games is the AI. If anything it gets worse. Darthmod tries to make it at least slightly better every time but there's only so much he can do.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline okiN

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2013, 06:23:07 pm »
I wouldn't say it's gotten worse, I've been playing RTW (well, EB) recently and the AI does all kinds of really retarded shit. But yeah, it hasn't exactly gotten better either. They've made promises again, I'll believe it when I see it.

What has gotten better in leaps and bounds is the campaign game. They've done some great stuff in streamlining it without really losing anything compared to the old ones except unnecessary hassles, and actually adding a lot of good things. Removing governors, automated unit replenishment, automated garrisons based on buildings present, proper tech trees, removing diplomats, removing agent spam (and agent action spam as the only training method), multiple recruitment slots with variable training times for units, simplified building (some might not like this one but TBH I prefer it)... loads of great improvements.

There are some nice new bits to add flavor to battles as well, like unit special abilities. There was a lot less variety in those in the past. Nothing as groundbreaking as with the campaign side of things, though. Hopefully with RTW2 they'll bring it all together in an awesome setting. Some of the new stuff we've heard so far has seemed pretty interesting, but battle gameplay will be the main decider.
Don't.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2013, 07:30:23 pm »
Yeah, i do like most of the changes to campaign as well, though i personally preferred the old style of buildings (because more is better :D)

The changes to unit replenishment are truly excellent, i totally hated that part in R:TW and M2:TW, that made getting elite units pretty much just a gold sink, since using them in actual war and conquest would mean that they would quickly deplete, with no chance of replenishment (unless you either captured an uber advanced city or went all the way back to retrain them)

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2013, 10:19:36 pm »
I thought the AI was a lot better in STW2. I mean it still does some dumb shit but plays a decently conventional game now while if you go back to MTw2 or RTW it was pretty bananas some of the stuff in did on campaign map.

Offline okiN

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2013, 11:22:19 pm »
Yeah, i do like most of the changes to campaign as well, though i personally preferred the old style of buildings (because more is better :D)

The changes to unit replenishment are truly excellent, i totally hated that part in R:TW and M2:TW, that made getting elite units pretty much just a gold sink, since using them in actual war and conquest would mean that they would quickly deplete, with no chance of replenishment (unless you either captured an uber advanced city or went all the way back to retrain them)

Yep, that was truly horribad. Playing Europa Barbarorum, as much as I love the mod, makes it even worse because you have so many hoops to jump through to get your own units recruitable in conquered territory.

As for the buildings, the old system had its charm, but it doesn't quite work with the introduction of the separate research tech tree, which I think is a great addition. I think my favourite building system was in Napoleon, because you could actually swap the buildings to different types instead of having to tear down a max-level structure to replace it with something else. I also liked having more different things available to build in different provinces, gave them some nice variety, whereas in RTW and MTW2 I would always build exactly the same things in exactly the same order in every province for maximum efficiency.

RTW2 will probably have a different system again, from the sound of the whole gradual conquering of provinces thing that they said would replace the "capture capital, own province" mechanic. Hopefully they'll preserve the good ideas from the latest games as well.

I thought the AI was a lot better in STW2. I mean it still does some dumb shit but plays a decently conventional game now while if you go back to MTw2 or RTW it was pretty bananas some of the stuff in did on campaign map.

I think we were talking more about battle AI than campaign AI. When it comes to the campaign the AI has maybe become a little bit smarter, but more importantly it's now a lot more pleasant to deal with in terms of diplomacy. In the past games the campaign AI's diplomatic decision-making process could be incredibly crude and irrational. I kept having to wipe out factions that I didn't really want to because they just wouldn't sign a ceasefire no matter how badly I destroyed them. They've promised further improvements to that as well in RTW2, here's hoping.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 11:32:56 pm by okiN »
Don't.

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Renown: 1067
  • Infamy: 90
  • Zen
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan Ninja
  • Game nicks: Khorin/Keyoke/Lujan
  • IRC nick: Khorin
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2013, 11:24:35 pm »
I think we were talking more about battle AI than campaign AI. When it comes to the campaign the AI has maybe become a little bit smarter, but more importantly it's now a lot more pleasant to deal with in terms of diplomacy. In the past games the campaign AI's diplomatic decision-making process could be incredibly crude and irrational. I kept having to wipe out factions that I didn't really want to because they just wouldn't sign a ceasefire no matter how badly I destroyed them.

This made it incredibly difficult to run my Genoan trading republic, when I constantly had to wipe out all potential trading partners and eventually control most of the map.