Author Topic: All dat armor must be heavy  (Read 5505 times)

Offline Lordark

• Count
  • Renown: 155
  • Infamy: 206
  • cRPG Player
  • Please respect all admins and thier decisions.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Solo
  • Game nicks: Lordark
Re: All dat armor must be heavy
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2012, 11:19:35 am »
make plate armor guys slower but more buffed so they are like tanks but only tankier!
Never forget the day Dragons came to Calradia
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfLxHJY0lQI&feature=related
My personal theme song, We will never surrender!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg1xqAjQ5e4

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2012, 06:44:00 am »
+1
Agi char already jumps farther away than str char if you look closely.

Offline Kaiser Augustus

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Knights of DuPrix
  • Game nicks: Kaiser_Augustus, Runner_of_Runnington
  • IRC nick: Augustus
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2013, 09:48:38 pm »
Thats true, but I think the OP meant vertical jump height.
For the glory of DuPrix!

Offline Ubereem

• Count
  • Renown: 197
  • Infamy: 115
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2013, 03:19:42 am »
Full plate needs to be heavier and stronger. A person that wears full plate would move rather slowly. A full plate class would be more of a defensive counter attacker. Unless on horseback. Alone a full plate wearer would be rather vulnerable, but in group settings they support rather nicely.
Jackson And No Bank

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2013, 10:36:02 am »
+4
It's hard to come up with a game mechanic that would make plate realistic. Plate made you almost invulnerable to any attack, the way to beat it was usually to beat to the ground and then kill through the weak points on the joints, under the arms, etc. often with weapons specifically designed for the purpose. Sure there were heavy weapons like hammers, picks and axes made to break through plate (or at least do enough blunt damage through it to the person underneath), and a hail of arrows could with some luck find one of those weak spots. But gameplay wise for example a sabre could hack away for ages and not do any damage. With the damage detection system Warband has and the complete lack of grappling, weak spots in specific areas of armors are just not doable.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2013, 02:50:42 pm »
+1
A person that wears full plate would move rather slowly. A full plate class would be more of a defensive counter attacker. Unless on horseback. Alone a full plate wearer would be rather vulnerable, but in group settings they support rather nicely.

That is already what is happening in cRPG: very vulnerable alone against multiple opponents (low running speed, poor footwork), moderate duelling potential (slower average weapon speed), powerful finisher in a group (very high damage output), cannot pursue an opponent that does not wish to fight (need to work with teammates to close off way of retreat).

Then damage reduction (with the armor rating, enhanced by iron flesh) extend the normal lifetime of the player, coupled with blocking and footwork, you are almost invulnerable except when completely overwhelmed or consistently making mistakes, making the full plate class a very user friendly class (but high to upkeep) when you are aware of the ebbs and flow of the battleground and always remain close at hand to your team even if you are only an average player.

Then, like Oberyn said, if you wanted to apply realism to plate armor, you would have problems with the current way of how damage is applied to armor and the weapon type used to maim your opponent. Only blunt force would damage a wearer of plate armor (except if weak points were added).

Still, the way damage formulae are applied in cRPG, if you wear plate armor (around and above 60 armor rating), some cut weapons will glance away easily (recent change in weight of made that happen less often) or do little damage, "simulating" the fact that the weapon didnt CUT but applied the BLUNT FORCE trauma of the strike to the wearer instead.

(or at least do enough blunt damage through it to the person underneath)

That way we can say that, even if unintended, plate is already pretty tough and realistic :)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 02:59:49 pm by Butan »

Offline Revo142

• Knight
  • Renown: 54
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2013, 08:41:03 am »

Offline Shaksie

• Count
  • Renown: 195
  • Infamy: 115
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Double Thickshake
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2013, 08:59:21 am »
+1
I agree armor should be significantly buffed, but to counter this; weak spots would need to be integrated which I don't think can be integrated into M&B.
With the current game I suppose you could increase heavy armors but also slightly increase the movement speed penalty to maintain balance.
VERY nice boy :)

Offline Macropus

• King
  • Renown: 1668
  • Infamy: 296
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macropus
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2013, 01:59:24 pm »
+1
remove samurais and ninjas from this game, then we can talk some sensible realism

i dont think japanese samurais or wherever those ninja things come from battled plate knights ever
cRPG isn't a history simulator, and Calradia has a completely different history than real world, so everything is possible here (Khergit ninjas, why not?). But at the same time it comes without saying that normal law of physics apply here as well, so when we talk about "realism" - we mainly discuss the physical aspect of it, not historical one.

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2013, 10:46:03 am »
+4
Macropus you have a point, but remember that japanese stuff was also "strange" to calradia too.
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline Michael

• Don't take me seriously
  • Baron
  • Renown: 118
  • Infamy: 559
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2013, 05:27:30 pm »
First thing we can talk about buffing plated armors. If I wear milanese +3 and paying over 2k upkeep, make me feel like I wearing real one.

Well it would be like in Skyrim when your guy is overloaded and cant run any more.

Is that it you want?

In my opinion, the player should notice a difference.

I dont like that people with heavy weapons and armour can outrun people in light armor or even clothes.

And I dont like that people in heavy armor can be killed by one hack/ stab in the back or by two arrows over a very long distance.

It should be protection or speed.

At the moment there is very little difference in my humble opinion.

For me, two-hander/ polearms deal too much damage. It doesnt matter what I let my guy wear, he usually dies in 1 hit. Anyhow.

Offline Tovi

• Earl
  • Renown: 387
  • Infamy: 251
    • View Profile
  • Faction: OdE
  • Game nicks: KrisTovi
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2013, 10:24:45 am »
+4
Another video :

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2013, 03:06:37 pm »
http://imgur.com/a/3j1jA

30KG isn't huge when its spread all over the body. If you are stronger than someone else you will simply carry the weight NP.
If you have ranged troubles use this:

Offline Herkkutatti666

• Duke
  • Renown: 585
  • Infamy: 285
  • cRPG Player
  • Rips pärs
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2013, 03:11:05 pm »
+1
buff plate

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • Renown: 795
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2014, 08:10:26 pm »
Would be a pain in the ass to not be able to jump over fences.

then don't use fucking plate :) you cant jump much wearing all that! increase plate fall damage too!

http://imgur.com/a/3j1jA

30KG isn't huge when its spread all over the body. If you are stronger than someone else you will simply carry the weight NP.

30kg is light plate :) and even with 30kg sure its not that much but think of the mobility as well you cant jump a fucking fence man lol look at that armor and think of skipping a fence x)