Author Topic: Profit in Christianity  (Read 6344 times)

Offline Sultan Eren

• Count
  • Renown: 217
  • Infamy: 113
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
  • Game nicks: Sultan Eren
Profit in Christianity
« on: August 16, 2012, 10:04:16 pm »
I recenty heard that in the early times of Christianity it was forbidden to make profit. Now is it really true or just a rumour? If so what was the backstory? Have you ever heard something like this? I want some good Christians to help me for the puzzle i have been onto. Thanks.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
Re: Profit in Christianity
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 10:45:46 pm »
I recenty heard that in the early times of Christianity it was forbidden to make profit. Now is it really true or just a rumour? If so what was the backstory? Have you ever heard something like this? I want some good Christians to help me for the puzzle i have been onto. Thanks.

Profit? How do you mean? You mean when borrowing out money to somebody else?

Offline Sultan Eren

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 11:08:54 pm »
rmbowman.com/catholic/econom2.htm

Offline Lamk

• Knight
  • Renown: 74
  • Infamy: 13
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Lamk
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 06:20:54 am »
+2
They could not lent money to other people with a profit(interest) I think that is why the Jews were the first banker.
I'm not sure though

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 06:31:02 am »
I dont think its 100% correct thou. Ive read that The Knights Templar also practiced the early form of banking and money making which helped them form their order into a mighty force. And they exsisted somewhere around 12th century. And nobody really complained. Exept those who were in deep dept to the order ofcourse.

But yea, its totally correct about the jew thing thou. In theory really, the jews had the only religion that allowed them gain riches. Jews were also massively hated cause they very loudly announced that they were the only true people of the god.

Offline Lamk

• Knight
  • Renown: 74
  • Infamy: 13
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Lamk
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 07:13:33 am »
Templars didn't lent money they just make the first kind of bank.You could go to a commandery in England and put your money in bank. They would give you a paper and you could use it around the world in the other commandery to get your money. It was to avoid stealing on the roads when people were travelling exemple to Jerusalem.

I'm still not sure

Offline Sultan Eren

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 11:11:34 am »
If somebody is profitting, then that means the other ones losing because there's a certain amount of money. I have read Quran twice and the Bible and i see the same "religion".

"The early Christians took these sayings very seriously. The first century Didache said, "Do not claim that anything is your own." Around the year 200, Clement of Alexandria said, "All possessions are by nature unrighteous; when one possesses them for personal advantage and does not bring them into the common stock for those in need." Basil the Great, about 400 A.D., said "That bread which you keep belongs to the hungry; that coat in your closet, to the naked." St. Augustine said, "Business is in itself an evil." Jerome, who disagreed with Augustine on many things, did not on this. He said, "A man who is a merchant can seldom if ever please God." St. John Chrysostom put it this way, "How did you become rich? Can you show the acquisition just? It cannot be. The root and origin of it must have been injustice."

That was also, what Proudhon said. Strange isn't it?

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 12:45:59 pm »
+2
Did you know that the guy who watches over the key of the holiest church of Christianity is a Muslim?

The certain streams in Christianity were always fighting about who should keep the key to the Church in Jerusalem. At some point they decided that they would need a neutral person to watch over it: a Muslim.

A nice example that there is a way to just live together w/o fighting.
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline djavo

• Marshall
  • Renown: 904
  • Infamy: 120
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • Salut
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HDZ_wing
  • Game nicks: Djavo
  • IRC nick: Kebab_Monteno
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 03:00:20 pm »
+2
Maybe that was the case now the money is only religion.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 10:09:53 am »
+1
Yep they couldn't charge interest , thats why lots o' Jews became moneylenders. Isn't usury a sin for muslims too? Still, some loopholes were used which allowed bankers to make a profit, like the Templars did.

Offline CtrlAltDe1337

• Knight
  • Renown: 31
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
  • Victoria aut mors
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ATS / Northern Empire
  • Game nicks: Kataphraktos, Muffins, CtrlAltDelete, Haleth
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 08:47:19 am »
+2
In the Old Testament, the law forbids the Israelites to exact usury from their fellow Israelites (i.e. make loans with interest).

The Medieval Church applied this to all Christians, making the occupation of a banker a pretty poor choice for a career.  Oddly, the Jews (the ones the Law was actually given to) had no problem with it...lol.

And while usury was forbidden, some groups like the Knights Templar found loopholes.  Instead of charging interest, they would charge "rent payments" people who deposited money with them.  Pretty clever I guess.
Quote from: IRC
<abearirl>crtlaltdel shut up | you are the worst | sperglord | i hate you so much | if i could ban goatee or ban you | i'd ban you
<Wylker|work>man if i was locked in a bunker with einstein, stalin, and CtrlAltDelete and had a gun with only 2 bullets | I'd shoot CtrlAltDelete twice

Offline Lange

• Baron
  • Renown: 128
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 04:43:22 pm »
In the Old Testament, the law forbids the Israelites to exact usury from their fellow Israelites (i.e. make loans with interest).

The Medieval Church applied this to all Christians, making the occupation of a banker a pretty poor choice for a career.  Oddly, the Jews (the ones the Law was actually given to) had no problem with it...lol.
Loaning to fellow jews was probably not necessary. Makes you wonder wether there were christian bankers for the jews... :mrgreen:

Offline Joseph Porta

• King
  • Renown: 1029
  • Infamy: 234
  • cRPG Player
  • (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻. take all my upvotes! Part-time retard
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild Enthousiast,
  • Game nicks: Wy can't I upvote my own posts, Im a fucken genius, yo.
  • IRC nick: Joseph_Porta
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2012, 03:30:08 pm »
 I thought templols blackmailed the church with some hly-grail like thing, or is NG fucking with me?
I loot corpses of their golden teeth.
But he'll be around somewhere between Heaven and The Devil, because neither of them will take him in, and he'll be farting loudly and singing a filthy song.

i'll be there at around
chadztime™

Offline Armpit_Sweat

• High Lord of the Spam
  • King
  • Renown: 1417
  • Infamy: 154
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Armpit_Sweat, My_horses_name_is_Rebecca
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2012, 01:18:13 pm »
+2

Spam at The Temple of Spam

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2012, 05:00:28 pm »
+1
Yep they couldn't charge interest , thats why lots o' Jews became moneylenders. Isn't usury a sin for muslims too? Still, some loopholes were used which allowed bankers to make a profit, like the Templars did.

Yup they have Islamic banks in areas of high Muslim population in the UK because of this. Alternatively many Muslims just give the interest gained on their accounts to charity each time it gets put in their account.

A nice example that there is a way to just live together w/o fighting.

Odd thing is the Quran refers to people of the book (Muslims, Christians, Jews) as all people of the faith. It may be Christianity or Judaism but it follows the same lines so in the Quran there is 0 reason to fight amongst the religions. Muslim men can even marry Jewish or Christian women (not other way around because man is head of household and leads prayers ect). Naturally somewhere along the way we just screwed all of that up. Jesus, Moses ect are also all Islamic prophets as well. They just don't believe Jesus was the son of God ect.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 05:05:45 pm by Overdriven »