Author Topic: Rome II General Info Thread  (Read 125026 times)

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Rome II General Info Thread
« Reply #1470 on: March 18, 2014, 09:06:03 am »
For one thing I find the building planning on the campaign map the best in the series so far, quite deep and strategic. The amount of combat animations on the battle map is quite impressive, too.

Offline Tanken

• King
  • Renown: 1463
  • Infamy: 395
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Tanken
« Reply #1471 on: March 20, 2014, 05:15:11 pm »
Does anyone happen to have a CD key or coupon for Rome 2 laying around? I would like to get it and try it out, typically not my cup of tea in a game, but friends say I would like it. You can add me on steam @ Tanken or message me here on the Forum. Thanks  :D

(i will compensate you appropriately with blowjobs)
Below is a Collection of Finalists in my Design my Avatar contest -- They all did Awesome!
Thanks to all of those who contributed.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Fips

• King
  • Renown: 1217
  • Infamy: 290
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Holy Roman Empire
  • Game nicks: Fips_HRE
« Reply #1472 on: March 20, 2014, 06:48:10 pm »
It seemed fine to me, too. Then unit stuttering happened and after an epic victory i couldn't end the battle because even though every single fucking enemy unit was off the map it still didn't count it as a win.
And there are not even cheats that can just auto win me that battle now, so i GTXted the game, once again.

Offline Tom Cruise

• Duke
  • Renown: 685
  • Infamy: 144
  • cRPG Player
  • All I do is shitpost anymore in this game.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tom_Cruise_Dota_Fanatic
  • IRC nick: Tom_Cruise
« Reply #1473 on: March 20, 2014, 09:57:13 pm »
So nothing is frustrating me more in this game right now. I keep getting these huge settlement defenses to where I am vastly outnumbered. Praise the sun I have pikemen and good ranged so I can just have the pikemen mow down people coming at them while I have archers shoot over them into a clusterfuck of men, fish in a barrel. But holy santa clause shit, my pikemen just keep moving forward towards the enemy without me giving them any orders or even having them selected. This literally ruins the entire formation because they just walk straight into the enemy, causing them to take out their swords, in turn making me lose a shit ton of that unit. Im gunna have a goddamn heart attack if they keep doing it, it has happened multiple times.

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #1474 on: March 22, 2014, 12:27:10 pm »
Didn't they add "guard" command in one of their many post-release patches? Or do they move forward even despite that?

Offline Fips

• King
  • Renown: 1217
  • Infamy: 290
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Holy Roman Empire
  • Game nicks: Fips_HRE
« Reply #1475 on: March 22, 2014, 12:53:26 pm »
Didn't they add "guard" command in one of their many post-release patches? Or do they move forward even despite that?

The phalanx can now stay in formation, but the longer the fight the more they move back. It's slow, but it happens. And ordering back usually ends with a slaughter.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: March 22, 2014, 01:38:03 pm »

There is only the "formation attack" mode (which only disciplined units have) so that they strictly keep their formation angle when in melee contact.
Makes for some stupid jiggedy move like snowboarding on the battlefield sometimes, I find it way worse than the "guard mode" functionality of old titles, which was possible on every single units, as with "loose/tight" formation  :(

Offline Tom Cruise

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: March 22, 2014, 03:58:49 pm »
I can understand if my pikes get pushed back due to the fighting. But They literally just walk straight into the enemy, forcing them to pull out their swords, resulting in them getting slaughtered and costing me the entire battle.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: March 22, 2014, 04:10:15 pm »
I can understand if my pikes get pushed back due to the fighting. But They literally just walk straight into the enemy, forcing them to pull out their swords, resulting in them getting slaughtered and costing me the entire battle.

I believe its a bug of the "formation attack" mode, but frankly seeing how pikes are uber-powerful against brain-dead AI sending his main army on your pikes as if they were any hoplites, its a much needed "balance" bug  :P

Offline Tom Cruise

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: March 22, 2014, 04:51:23 pm »
I believe its a bug of the "formation attack" mode, but frankly seeing how pikes are uber-powerful against brain-dead AI sending his main army on your pikes as if they were any hoplites, its a much needed "balance" bug  :P

Well one, its mainly in siege defenses that I see it, so I just have my pikes plug the streets to for a bottleneck and put ranged behind them, so they are kind of forced too. But I get attacked from multiple locations from multiple sides from multiple armies. So I think its fair If my pikes kill a unit or two. So really Im still under a lot of pressure with me being outnumbered 3-1. By the end of those battles I can lose a lot of men but still win, but at a costly blow. That racked up against buffed AI stat wise and economy wise can be a pain.

In battles its fine. Pikes are only soo good. I have the AI constantly flanking me or showering my units with ranged, even in siege too. So really are pikes that OP?

Offline Butan

• King
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: March 22, 2014, 05:22:25 pm »
In my last experiences, fielding an army which has enough pikes to stretch over all the main frontline (even only 3 ranks deep) completely unbalance the battle toward the human, since only flanking forces will not jump head first on your pikes, and if you present some anti-flanking units on your own flanks/rear they cant combo break you. Then of course there is some situations where the AI can still win (very heavy cavalry, lots of nice ranged, overwhelming numbers, a much better general, etc...) but its still pretty OP.

Offline Lizard_man

• Marshall
  • Renown: 717
  • Infamy: 153
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Lizard_man, Jinmenju
« Reply #1481 on: March 22, 2014, 10:39:24 pm »
Does anyone happen to have a CD key or coupon for Rome 2 laying around? I would like to get it and try it out, typically not my cup of tea in a game, but friends say I would like it. You can add me on steam @ Tanken or message me here on the Forum. Thanks  :D

(i will compensate you appropriately with blowjobs)

I'd happily give you this turd of a game if Steam allowed it...

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: March 24, 2014, 07:41:28 pm »
What I find really insulting is that Gallic Oppidae, their fortified cities, are still completely broken in siege, being a main theme of the Caesar in Gaul DLC.

Offline Weren

• Duke
  • Renown: 588
  • Infamy: 18
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: irc://Weren
« Reply #1483 on: March 25, 2014, 06:27:05 pm »
+1
I just quickbattle sieges. Can't be bothered with the stuttering, glitches, bugs and crashes. It doesn't seem to matter what culture I am playing as or against, these issues persist.  :|
Free speech is about to become terrorism.

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: March 27, 2014, 04:46:59 am »
+1
I've recently started playing patch 10 and was amazed how much it had improved since ~7, its actually hard on legendary now, feels like shogun 2 legendary. and now patch 11 just dropped and fixed most the few remaining issues I had.

the game is SOOO much better now. I can say 100% that this is the best total war now, its not perfect of course. Don't need any mods to enjoy it now, only mods I use atm are 4 turns and trait mod.

if it had released in this state, and they made DLC that wasn't really bland and overpriced might have been my favourite game. Given me a real hard on for the iron age.