Author Topic: Rome II General Info Thread  (Read 125010 times)

Offline Lizard_man

• Marshall
  • Renown: 717
  • Infamy: 153
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Lizard_man, Jinmenju
Re: Rome II General Info Thread
« Reply #1350 on: September 25, 2013, 01:51:54 am »
Interesting thread... :P

http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/97370-TotalBiscuit-calling-out-CA-leadership-over-Metacritic-design-focus.

Moderators keep removing, moving, or closing threads on the matter, it's fucking ridiculous...
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 01:59:59 am by Lizard_man »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: September 25, 2013, 02:51:59 pm »
Well I am having quite an odd experience in my recent Athenian campaign. You dont have to read this shit, if you dont want to, nothing completely new and spectacular I assure you:

Basically I noticed that from the persian side of the planet one faction was relatively kicking a lot of arse (Media). So I decided to make the biggest armies ive ever made so far in this game and quickly wipe it out. I took 3 towns in 1 turn, what I didnt notice however, was that one of its toughest armies was still exsistent and I didnt have the chance to confront it. So what the Median army did was relatively steamroll over 10 different AI towns with ease, with my army behind it on pursuit, reclaiming every AI town they claimed and that happened for quite some time cause the towngarrisons didnt lessen both of our armies numbers even the slightest. With every next turn, they took 1 town, and I took the town they conqured the last turn. At some point Medias steamrollingtactic came to a standstill. One of Ai factions im pretty sure it wanted to steamroll had camped a gigantic army infront of them on the road and they were stuck, cause my army was camped out in the town behind em. So they went balls to the walls next turn and attacked my army. I won, they scattered, now im stuck with atleast 10 towns that hate the shit out of me and are all gonna rebel. But I have to keep these lands somehow thou. If I dont the other factions nearby are gonna get the dibs on em. They wont fuck with me but they will definately grab a rebeling settlement at any chance they get.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: September 25, 2013, 03:12:35 pm »
I have to keep these lands somehow thou. If I dont the other factions nearby are gonna get the dibs on em.

Its really not a good idea to "capture" a settlement you wont be able to keep (public order or military challenged wise); in your case I would probably have pillaged 80% of them, 10% captured 10% razed, depending on each fiefs local situation.

Its not too problematic if the AI/rebels gets them back, its better to have gold and a few fiefs than a lot of fiefs and not enough gold.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Tibe

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: September 25, 2013, 03:16:42 pm »
I was seriuslly frightened of the thought of Media having a giant bunch of lands, so I had to act fast. Looking back thou, it would have been wiser to let them keep 2 lands, they wanted to keep and sue for peace and plan ahead few turns. Mybe if I hadnt pushed them so hard like I did, they wouldnt have roamed so far to avoid extinction.

Offline Fips

• King
  • Renown: 1217
  • Infamy: 290
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Holy Roman Empire
  • Game nicks: Fips_HRE
« Reply #1354 on: September 25, 2013, 03:52:17 pm »
+9

Offline Tibe

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: September 25, 2013, 03:54:14 pm »
+6
"I bought, I played, I patched"
                                                   - Typical Total war costumer

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #1356 on: September 25, 2013, 04:49:02 pm »
+3
"I bought, I played, I patched, I modded"
                                                   - Typical Total war costumer
Slightly altered :wink:
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline okiN

• Marshall
  • Renown: 924
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: September 25, 2013, 06:00:01 pm »
Costumer? Is that like cosplayer?
Don't.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: September 25, 2013, 07:29:54 pm »
+1
Costumer? Is that like cosplayer?
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Renown: 1067
  • Infamy: 90
  • Zen
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan Ninja
  • Game nicks: Khorin/Keyoke/Lujan
  • IRC nick: Khorin
« Reply #1359 on: September 26, 2013, 10:09:37 am »
+6
I just love how Stonehenge is depicted in the game.

EDIT: While I'm at it.

Why is the Carthage in the campaign map so lame compared to the historical battle one?

(click to show/hide)

I admit the city does grow if you upgrade it more in the campaign map, but Carthage is one of Rome's first enemies. They'll never get to fight Carthage in actual Carthage.

And while I'm at it. Where did the 32 000 troops per battle claim go?

Source for the 32 000 troops per battle claim: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/...al-war-rome-ii

"Meanwhile, owners of Skynet-like hardware can get even more out of the game. A high-spec machine can enjoy up to 32,000 units on the battlefield during a single real-time encounter. If you’re seeking further glory and are willing to push your PC harder than your legionaries, Jamie casually mentioned you can tweak the preference files to double that number to 64,000."

Now, I've played Napoleon with Darthmod, and I regurarly get 10 000 vs 10 000 battles (that run so smooth it's amazing), but I don't see a way to reach those figures in Rome 2 without modding it in, and I'm not even sure of that. First of all the maps are too small for such a force. Even if you assume a 32 000 troop army in to 80 units that's still 400 per unit, you'd have to have a 160 units at least with max unit size to get 32 000 troops on the battlefield.

Several ships per unit? Remember that?

"A naval unit will also consist of multiple ships instead of just one. 'Because ancient world battles weren’t fought with eight ships, they were fought with larger fleets, so you’re going to have several ships in each unit. That really changes the gameplay.'"
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 01:35:55 pm by Ninja_Khorin »

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: September 26, 2013, 03:38:27 pm »
Wonders and some city details bugs or doesnt appear as they should (dont know if just not implemented or just not appearing/displaying as it should).

But Carthage fully upgraded looks exactly like Carthage in historical battle (minus the aforementioned implementation/display bug). And this is the same for every "special" settlements. I admit a fully upgraded settlement is hard to reach so, most of the time you will take down important fiefs while they are still relatively unimpressive  :(

Atm on Ultra army size, even with 40 units vs 40 units of pure infantry (160 men), you get only 12,800 men (80x160), so I dont know how they reached this 64,000 conclusion (4 times higher than what you can possible have without modding the game!!!).

Then there is some mods or easy-to-do-yourself modifications where you can double each group size (320 men for infantry), but it still only reaches 25,600 men with 40 vs 40 infantry.

You can probably push the boundaries to TRIPLE or QUADRUPLE the amount of soldiers per squad but I'm not sure even 1% of the computers on earth could handle it.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Fips

• King
  • Renown: 1217
  • Infamy: 290
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Holy Roman Empire
  • Game nicks: Fips_HRE
« Reply #1361 on: September 26, 2013, 05:11:22 pm »
I tried Magnars mod with double unit size and larger battles quickly turned into Diashows. I mean, my fps were good and i could move the camera around just fine without any laggs, but the troops were just moving frame per frame, so yeah. For mods like this we will probably have to wait some more time for CA and modders to optimize the game =/

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Renown: 1067
  • Infamy: 90
  • Zen
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan Ninja
  • Game nicks: Khorin/Keyoke/Lujan
  • IRC nick: Khorin
« Reply #1362 on: September 27, 2013, 11:04:10 am »
+1
Advanced AI Pikemen tactics:
(click to show/hide)

Also, that other unit is showing some advanced improved AI right there.

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #1363 on: September 28, 2013, 12:20:21 am »
+3
Well I put an AMD FX 8350  ( 8 core 4ghz cpu, but overclocked to 4.4ghz right now ) into my pc a long with a Gainward GTX 660 golden sample 2gb GPU, not exactly top of the line but both juicy enough to squeeze something out of any modern game.

I've messed about with some settings in and out of game and my game is running with most settings maxed without any lag whatsoever and without that lame unit stuttering. When your units stutter and you don't have an fps issue it means your cpu is being bottlenecked by this piss poor optimized engine. I had it at first until I turned Unit Details down and turned shadows down too, both of these are cpu bound thus these are huge culprits when it comes to bottlenecking your cpu in huge battles.

Unit Details setting gives you more varied soldiers the higher the setting, which according to other peoples and my own experience is most definitely CPU bound, making double, triple or even more work for the cpu when it has to deal with multiple variations of soldiers in each unit.  Shadows also, I knocked these down to one of the lower settings and noticed I could have way more soldiers on the battlefield without that lame unit stuttering whilst the FPS remains smooth and high, meaning my CPU isn't being bottlenecked by this piece of shit.

Last but not least I am using the SweetFX GEM shader mod from the TWC forum, I think the guys name is lucifer something but I downloaded his shaders etc, tweaked them a bit and my game looks A LOT better, it includes methods to add AA ( the games AA is broken as fuck turn it off ) and also gaussian blur, which if tweaked right makes the game a lot softer on the eyes and all the colours look a lot nicer IMO.

I don't use any of the tick box options like SSAO and distortion etc atm but I'll be testing with them soon.

EDIT: Also in Task manager ( ctrl alt delete ) in processes tab, right click Rome2.exe, go to priority and set it to high, for those that dont already know.

EDIT 2: This is a screenshot from my game just to show how it looks, I've already tweaked more since this picture as the gaussian blur was too strong for my liking and I've also made the colours nicer ( imo ) and sharpened the picture up a bit, though seemingly a screenshot doesn't do it justice still, looks better as I'm playing it, maybe the movement covers up the small crappy parts I can pick up on in a screenshot lol. Still, it looks a lot better than what the game did without using this SweetFX GEM shader.
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 12:53:21 am by Leesin »

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #1364 on: October 18, 2013, 06:17:08 pm »
New patch and new playable faction! And Steam Workshop access...

(click to show/hide)
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.