Author Topic: Rome II General Info Thread  (Read 124894 times)

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
Re: Rome II General Info Thread
« Reply #1290 on: September 14, 2013, 01:34:02 pm »
Playeda new campaign as Macedon on vh. Apparently they changed something about the civil war mechanic. All my previous civil wars have been one sided pushovers, but this:
is complete bullshit. The revolt not only outnumbers me 3+:1 in armies and fleets, it also lacked the usual prelude anout civil war brewing and finally being inevitable, giving you some time to prepare. At this stage in the game I could not even afford more than three armies and two fleets. Might still be solveable, but turning the civil war from a joke into a roflstomp of the players heartland is not what I would call good balancing.

The power of the Civil War might be relative to your total power (counting provinces) ?

Still looks overpowered, even though I'm sure if you didnt abandon that game, it could have proven an interesting challenge to drive them off.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #1291 on: September 14, 2013, 03:10:55 pm »
+1
Just had an interesting battle. Massively outnumbered, but my troops were much better quality. Still a close run thing though, my troops were on the point of breaking several times. Lost about 800 men and killed around 2000. Still an armies worth of the enemy escaped to run away. Also my longest battle yet lasting around 15 mins. Would have easily lost this if they had more than spear levies and I hadn't used my cavalry to wipe their slingers off quickly. I was also quite impressed how their two armies joined up to make a decent line at the start.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: September 14, 2013, 04:55:13 pm »
Man I tried a pontus campaign post patch, I definitely didn't make perfect decisions was a bit too agressive. I was off at war when armenia did a sudden war dec (which I maybe should have anticipated). but came in with 2 full stacks, so many horse skirmishers. and has taken most my lands before I can really respond, and cannot recruit any decent troops now.

I'm down to only 1 province and 1 army, I maybe could survive but it would take such a long time to recover.

to top that off battle AI seems improved but could just be some flukes. I actually had a costly victory where I outnumbered opponent but he camped the top of a hill, as got as many kills as me. basically this actually feels like legendary did in shogun 2. the only time the battle AI seems to really fuck up is on point capture maps, which hopefully will be removed anyway.

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #1293 on: September 14, 2013, 05:15:33 pm »
Field battles with AI seems to have improved quite a lot, but anything involving points or sieges is still dog shit, then again AI in sieges have always been pretty shit in TW games even when months of patching has occured.

Me and a friend was just fucking about so we did a battle, me and him defending vs 4 AI armies, they had a shit ton of towers and ladders but used none of them, they just used all their onagers to shoot at the walls, as soon as ONE whole appeared, the entire 4 armies all tried to pile into the gap, where we just grinded them down, leaving 3 of my heroic unit noble units with around 1000 kills each lol.

Even though his onagers continued to shoot holes in the wall, the AI stayed committed to trying to pile all 10,000 of his men through one little hole, this is one part of the AI I really hope they can improve. Not only did the AI set up all 4 armies on one side, rather than surrounding the city, but they basically handed us the win easily with their OMG ITS A HOLE CHAAARRRGGEEEE mentality.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 05:18:42 pm by Leesin »

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #1294 on: September 14, 2013, 05:21:20 pm »
That sounds pretty much like any TW AI attacking in a siege ever.

Offline Havoco

• Duke
  • Renown: 538
  • Infamy: 102
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Hospookfans
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Havoc
  • IRC nick: Havoco
« Reply #1295 on: September 14, 2013, 05:47:38 pm »
Yeah I remember in M2TW when the AI would knock down multiple wall segments, but they all would only go through one unless u had a unit at multiple holes.

Anyways I'm trying radious mods and they seem okay so far, but I'm crashing more. I still haven't even been on the defensive side of a war. Hell, out of 6 campaigns (around 40-50 turns each) I think I've only had about 2 defensive village battles and 1 city siege.

No one has even declared war on me yet.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 05:56:44 pm by Havoco »
Pock gobblers

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #1296 on: September 14, 2013, 05:52:08 pm »
I know, which is why I also said " AI in sieges have always been pretty shit in TW games even when months of patching has occured. ", but even in M2TW, not all of the time, but quite often he AI used multiple methods of attack, ramming my gates, shooting my walls, using towers etc and the AI had often deployed armies on more than just one side. Of course this was after much patching and maybe even mods had an effect but I hope they will at least bring this to the same level so the AI might stand a chance at winning a siege lol.

Personally I wonder if the Warscape engine is the big issue, I mean if you look at the Empire, Naopleon and Shogun 2 TW the sieges were all pretty straight forward as units could just grapple/climb up a ton of stuff making it very easy for the AI to make a "decent" attack. I guess we'll find out over the next months lol.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #1297 on: September 14, 2013, 10:41:45 pm »
+1
Yeah I remember in M2TW when the AI would knock down multiple wall segments, but they all would only go through one unless u had a unit at multiple holes.

Anyways I'm trying radious mods and they seem okay so far, but I'm crashing more. I still haven't even been on the defensive side of a war. Hell, out of 6 campaigns (around 40-50 turns each) I think I've only had about 2 defensive village battles and 1 city siege.

No one has even declared war on me yet.
You want village/city defense battles? Go for this achievement:
(click to show/hide)
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: September 14, 2013, 10:45:53 pm »
No need to declare war on my game, everyone wants a piece of me. Even far away factions that have nothing to gain.

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: September 15, 2013, 01:18:08 am »
anyone wanna do some head to heads then?

you can cheat and autowin without the other players consent tho. no idea why seems to defeat the whole point, was it like that in shogun 2?

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: September 15, 2013, 08:04:42 am »
+1
(click to show/hide)
The only thing I could think to tell you at this point:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
  • Renown: 465
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild.
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bulzur
« Reply #1301 on: September 15, 2013, 01:11:51 pm »
I know, which is why I also said " AI in sieges have always been pretty shit in TW games even when months of patching has occured. ", but even in M2TW, not all of the time, but quite often he AI used multiple methods of attack, ramming my gates, shooting my walls, using towers etc and the AI had often deployed armies on more than just one side. Of course this was after much patching and maybe even mods had an effect but I hope they will at least bring this to the same level so the AI might stand a chance at winning a siege lol.

Personally I wonder if the Warscape engine is the big issue, I mean if you look at the Empire, Naopleon and Shogun 2 TW the sieges were all pretty straight forward as units could just grapple/climb up a ton of stuff making it very easy for the AI to make a "decent" attack. I guess we'll find out over the next months lol.

Hummm.
In the first Rome, i had a settlement with simple walls attacked (so the wooden walls), and the AI had taken it's time to build 4 roaming things. Each was protected with 2 other melee stacks ; one went for the door, and the three other scattered through the all same side, and destroyed other pieces of the wall.

So they definitely "had", once upon a time, a decent sieging AI who could make and use multiple holes.

Heavily splitting their forces, though, is very unlikely. Since it will mean a player could rush one of their stack, overwhelm them with numbers, then aim for the others, one by one.
AI doesn't "delay" troops, by withdrawing them from battles. So this tactic is probably less effective than a "full strength stack".
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
[19:32] <@chadz> if(dave_ukr_is_in_server) then rain_chance = 98%;

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: September 15, 2013, 01:46:27 pm »
Yep siege AI is where its at (the problem).

Heavily splitting their forces, though, is very unlikely. Since it will mean a player could rush one of their stack, overwhelm them with numbers, then aim for the others, one by one.
AI doesn't "delay" troops, by withdrawing them from battles. So this tactic is probably less effective than a "full strength stack".

Gotta agree but I will add that, even though they never split their forces INITIALLY, they often split theirs if you approach with flanking forces to confront them; thus creating individual AI forces around the battlefield. Add some AI reinforcements on top, you'll SPLIT your head thinking about all them units running around.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: September 15, 2013, 01:58:50 pm »
No, the siege AI has always been bad in TW games, it completely forgets how to use all built siege equipment, the moment it has some sort of artillery in its army. Blow one hole, rush all units through that.

Offline Havoco

• Duke
  • Renown: 538
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Hospookfans
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Havoc
  • IRC nick: Havoco
« Reply #1304 on: September 16, 2013, 12:10:58 am »
After the beta2patch things seem to have gotten better. Ppl actually declare war on me, less desyncs in multi campaign, the auto graphics tuner is kind of annoying but I think it was necessary for the multiplayer battles.

Now for them to fix naval battles and sieges. The path finding on a broken wall is ridiculous. Though I guess it wasn't much better in the other games.
Pock gobblers