Author Topic: Rome II General Info Thread  (Read 124989 times)

Offline Franke

• Earl
  • Renown: 384
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Franke_HRE and Frankes_STF_HRE
Re: Rome II General Info Thread
« Reply #1095 on: September 05, 2013, 02:14:27 am »
Played into it for the first time yesterday. I haven't come across any crashes so far (but haven't even finished the prologue yet), but the performance is not really fluid. Tomorrow I'll give some of the settings mentioned somewhere above a try.
Quote from: Tindel
In teamspeak i like to hear all of your opinions on; beer and alcohol, chocolate chip cookies, social problems and their solutions, massmurderers, why ranged should burn in hell, hating on new maps, hating on old maps.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
This is a summary of my suebi legendary campaign
« Reply #1096 on: September 05, 2013, 02:27:15 am »
+1
Bear Force Won
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twQlpFrm5iM[/youtube]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twQlpFrm5iM
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 02:32:19 am by Banok »

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: September 05, 2013, 02:32:22 am »
This game is a huge step back from Shogun 2 in every way.

Honestly, I just wanted Shogun 2 with more variety in units. They should've kept the multiplayer, the UI, the battle flow, the performance of the engine.

Instead this feels like a game that would've came out BEFORE Shogun 2 instead of years after. Battles are clunkier, the map runs like shit, and the interface in both combat and the map are bewilderingly bad. They buried half as much information under twice as many menus.

Don't get me started on the multiplayer. Clearly no balancing or effort put into it. And thats my favorite part. With how bad the battle UI is and how armies clunk around now, I doubt it would even get a competitive scene like Shogun 2 actually has (I'm a rather high ranked1vs1 player in that so Dont Fuck With Me)

Hope they fix it soon with patches or something.
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline bilwit

• Agent provocateur
  • Count
  • Renown: 275
  • Infamy: 181
  • The toast is anarchy!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Billy_Whitmore, Andre_Whitmore, Gideon_Stargrave
« Reply #1098 on: September 05, 2013, 02:47:03 am »
Anyone else notice that AA seems to not be working at all and the graphics, especially in battles, are quite shit even on extreme-everything?

Most of us are currently living off relatives, friends, parttime-jobs or savings, to be able to work as much and cheaply as possible.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: September 05, 2013, 04:46:20 am »
+1
Anyone else notice that AA seems to not be working at all and the graphics, especially in battles, are quite shit even on extreme-everything?

Tick unlimited memory in the settings (or at least never use the pre-set graphical options and always try to find your computer custom options sweepoint).

Offline Lemmy_Winks

• Count
  • Renown: 241
  • Infamy: 230
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Lemmy_Winks
« Reply #1100 on: September 05, 2013, 06:34:15 am »
+1
I do like the game but it seems in the time ive been playing it that it is too easy. Im playing suebi (germany) on very hard, it has not been hard at all. No one has ever attacked me, i just attack someoen whenever im ready and easily crush them, dont even have to fight battles can sim and win big easily. Third age total war on max hard settings was only TW game i can remember that was ever challengeing, but this is easier than most of what i remember. It would probabbly be really easy with a faction like the romans or something. And in battles you have all these abilities and formations but you dont need to use any of them, your opponent stands there and lets you attack them, stands there while you pelt them with arrows. TW AIs have always been bad, hopefully someone writes a good one.

Offline Banok

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: September 05, 2013, 07:42:54 am »
yes my main real issue with the game is the the campign AI is terribad even on legendary. I'm guessing and hoping its a prioty fix.

there are some bad changes in this game but blimey its impressive how people are completely ignoring all the things they have drastically improved.

My BEARFORCE1 raiding squad slaves and loots the british coast line. notice I lost 76 men but enemy only had 68 kills, and I have all melee inf (lol berzerk mode).
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 07:47:36 am by Banok »

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: September 05, 2013, 07:46:33 am »
there are some bad changes in this game but blimey its impressive how people are completely ignoring all the things they have drastically improved.

Not a single thing is improved over Shogun 2. In fact, they pretty much went around all the bests parts of Shogun 2 and made them worse.

Rome 2 is officially a Bad Game, and I'm just gonna go back to Shogun until they fix it (which will be never)
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline Banok

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: September 05, 2013, 07:53:38 am »
Not a single thing is improved over Shogun 2. In fact, they pretty much went around all the bests parts of Shogun 2 and made them worse.

Rome 2 is officially a Bad Game, and I'm just gonna go back to Shogun until they fix it (which will be never)

there's so many things improved over shogun 2 it would take me a very long time to list them all, plus most are incredibly obvious. whilst some of these may be subject to opinion, most are not. maybe you people just don't actually understand the new mechanics, or maybe just delusionally but-hurt since its not a finished product.

so many people on the hate train just because they *gasp* changed the game, I think people would be happier if they just pumped out the exact same formula every year like CoD.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 07:59:27 am by Banok »

Offline bilwit

• Agent provocateur
  • Count
  • Renown: 275
  • Infamy: 181
  • The toast is anarchy!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Billy_Whitmore, Andre_Whitmore, Gideon_Stargrave
« Reply #1104 on: September 05, 2013, 08:27:50 am »
+1
there's so many things improved over shogun 2 it would take me a very long time to list them all, plus most are incredibly obvious. whilst some of these may be subject to opinion, most are not. maybe you people just don't actually understand the new mechanics, or maybe just delusionally but-hurt since its not a finished product.

so many people on the hate train just because they *gasp* changed the game, I think people would be happier if they just pumped out the exact same formula every year like CoD.

Total War has become the Madden series for PC. Shuffle a few things here or there, add cool features and then remove them so they can be reintroduced down the line as "new," etc. A lot of the shit they added in SP is just bloat and doesn't affect anything either way (politics anyone?). The stripping down of the multiplayer from what it was in Shogun 2 was the absolute biggest disappointment for me.

A few other things I've noticed:
-battles are really short and armies seem march across the field to meet you in no time
-ai seem to do nothing, on hard mode I never get attacked except very sparingly long after I initiate the war (never in danger of my shit getting taken over)
-costs nothing to replenish troops, they just lolregen from anywhere on the map
-ranged units are pretty useless

Completely underwhelmed by this game. It doesn't even reach mediocrity as a run of the mill TW game, it's a step backwards really. Instead of more-of-the-same it feels like a watered down arcade version of what it should be.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 08:34:51 am by bilwit »

Most of us are currently living off relatives, friends, parttime-jobs or savings, to be able to work as much and cheaply as possible.

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #1105 on: September 05, 2013, 10:56:51 am »
They returned the multiplayer to the classical multiplayer because theyre making a f2p mmo game called Total War: Arena. It will include all the rpg aspects and customization with 8v8 battles. I think anyone who pre ordered Rome 2 will get into the beta, so im waiting to see if its going to be good or not.

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #1106 on: September 05, 2013, 11:03:10 am »
+2
Found this beautiful comment which seems to sum up most critcs:

(click to show/hide)

Actually, it starts to make sense (huge UI, mediocre combat, simplified controls):

http://www.videogamer.com/pc/rome_ii_total_war/news/sega_considering_porting_total_war_and_strategy_line-up_to_ps4_and_xbox_one.html
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 11:07:02 am by benkei »
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Banok

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: September 05, 2013, 11:07:35 am »
The stripping down of the multiplayer from what it was in Shogun 2 was the absolute biggest disappointment for me.

Your tears are tasty. The idea of having hugely better units because you played more sounded disgusting.

I guess this is a crpg forum, shouldn't surprise me that people don't want even playing field or sensible game changes.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: September 05, 2013, 11:08:15 am »
Graphics do look pixely, even with AA on. It's nothing like in those screens they showed. That's on full extreme.

Offline pingpong

• Earl
  • Renown: 423
  • Infamy: 220
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: September 05, 2013, 11:41:30 am »
Oh boy this went south fast, i dont think theyre ever going to fix the main problems ( 5 min battles, chasing down routing enemy <-- BEST THING IN TW GAMES, EVER!,  unitbalance, BAI) instead they just gonna release more DLC with new superkewlshiny units and factions. :rolleyes:

If you guys want the real rome tw experience i suggest waiting for Europa Barbarorum II.
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?454-Europa-Barbarorum-II