Author Topic: Rome II General Info Thread  (Read 124893 times)

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Rome II General Info Thread
« Reply #1065 on: September 04, 2013, 02:51:36 pm »
My province capital was attacked by an enemy force of about 1500, too much for my very weak garrison. They didn't bring any siege equipment though, but auto resolve didnt think that was a problem so I decided to fight it out. The enemy was stuck beneath my gate while being pelted by my towers. I left the room to make a sandwich as this didnt seem to go anywhere. When I came back I had lost. I replayed it and it turns out you can capture the gate by standing really close to it, even when outside. GG

Offline War_Ferret

• Count
  • Renown: 182
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: September 04, 2013, 03:00:15 pm »
+1
I did not call you insane, i just found that an odd thing to do, buying a game, with the intention of returning it,

The game has been in the mail since Monday (coming from abroad, still hasn't arrived, as I've said before) and the situation has slightly changed since I bought it, don't you think? Other than that, I've explained my motivation twice, already. If you don't get it, you don't get it.

based on the first-impression opinions of a bunch of random cRPGers.

Why shouldn't people's opinions here be as good as any? (With the obvious exceptions)

I would've suggested TPB, if someone else already hadn't.

Am I out of line here, because pirating isn't really an option for me (anymore)?

My business with this thread is that i bought this game and am trying it?

Maybe you should focus on that business then.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: September 04, 2013, 03:09:09 pm »
The game has been in the mail since Monday (coming from abroad, still hasn't arrived, as I've said before) and the situation has slightly changed since I bought it, don't you think? Other than that, I've explained my motivation twice, already. If you don't get it, you don't get it.
Has the situation changed, really? Every major title is followed by knee-jerk situations in the next few days after release. I get your motivation, doesn't mean i support it.
Why shouldn't people's opinions here be as good as any? (With the obvious exceptions)
Because they're not your own?
Am I out of line here, because pirating isn't really an option for me (anymore)?
Well, that's uncommon. Don't you have any IRL friends, that have bought the game and could let you give it a try?
Maybe you should focus on that business then.
Why so hostile? You asked for a response in this thread. My initial reply was needlessly hostile and i apologised, what's the matter now?

Offline War_Ferret

• Count
  • Renown: 182
  • Infamy: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: September 04, 2013, 03:34:10 pm »
+1
It doesn't really concern you, but my friends have mostly abandoned gaming years ago. A common phenomenon with people in their late 20s.
I shouldn't even comment on your "Because they're not your own" statement, but what are you even doing here, if other people's opinions don't matter to you?

I'm not being hostile, just a little bit unnerved with the level of ignorance I'm encountering here. I think I have made my point sufficiently clear. Just for you.
So maybe this off-topic nonsense can stop now.

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: September 04, 2013, 03:55:18 pm »
You should get the game, but only if your pc can run it well. Otherwise you might have too many disapointments at once.

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Renown: 1067
  • Infamy: 90
  • Zen
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan Ninja
  • Game nicks: Khorin/Keyoke/Lujan
  • IRC nick: Khorin
« Reply #1070 on: September 04, 2013, 03:59:26 pm »
+8
My thoughts based on about 12 hours of gameplay, hard difficulty and ultra unit sizes:

+ A lot of factions
+ Unit variety is pretty good, and factions feel a bit different
+ Looks good.
+ The concept of armies is awesome. It's cool to level them up, since Generals die too fast to get anything decent going with them.
+ FOW is really cool in the battles. Also, creates some surprise moments when the enemy outflanks you suddenly because you weren't scouting. Love that.
+ Still has the charm of Total War, mostly.

- End turn times are fairly long, though, not impossible in my experience.
- The highly stylized unit cards, etc, clash with the otherwise oddly modern looking UI. Also covers a lot of the screen. As it is now, it's ugly.
- The UI is not that intuitive either. But that might be because it's quite a lot different from earlier games.
- CAI* is ridiculously passive. I have not been invaded once so far. Except when I've taken over an entire faction, the remnant armies cause a hassle and try to siege regions, but they're normally no threat. Hell, no one has even declared war on me yet.
- CAI is also terribad at creating armies. I have yet to feel intimidated by anything they've scrounged together.
- So far I've destroyed plenty of factions and none has made any significant effort to stop me. If the AI has armies, they're usually not used in any logical way.
- The BAI** is retarded. The one time I was worried about an army attacking me(a relatively large remnant army attacking an empty city with only garrison forces), the AI just stood there. They never engaged my troops. I won. When the AI is defending, shooting them down with ranged is still a valid tactic, which leads to very simple sieges.
- The battles are too damn fast. Longest fight so far was 15 minutes (siege of carthage). Most of them clock around 5-10 minutes, regardless of the size of the armies. This leads to tactics being more of a sidenote when after 4 minutes of approaching there's a huge clusterfuck that ends in you winning with huge casualties for the enemy and none of note to you. Due to the battles being so fast, I haven't actually had the time to look at a single duel in the game, something that I really enjoyed doing in previous titles.
- Melee is overpowered. Ranged is underpowered. To be fair, ranged is decent in sieges when the enemy moves its troops without actually doing anything, because then you can shoot without being threatened and moving enemies take more damage since their shields aren't up. However, when the enemy attacks, there's a 10 second window of shooting before the melee clusterfuck starts. Which means that they're largely irrelevant. Shooting at units that are standing still is largely useless.
- Troops creating their own transport ships is pretty cool, as a concept. But it's also a bit silly. Being able to hop on ships in one turn is stupid. In my opinion it should take one turn for the army to do that. It takes away the tactical aspect of the game, when I can go around choke points without any problem by hopping on ships.
- A problem that persists in a much worse form in Rome 2 is that when I choose a unit in the campaign map, my fps drops. If I unselect it, it goes right back up.
- A general problem that I've sort of noticed in my campaign is that the AI factions aren't growing as fast as I do, which means that all the tiny factions just gets eaten by my ever increasing blob.
- Difficulty. On hard, the game is very very easy. In fact I did not notice a difference between normal and hard. Played Rome on normal, switched to Athens and hard, due to Rome being too easy. This happened right after I captured Carthage in 15 minutes, with 70 casualties compared to the enemies 1200.
- Though I like the concept of armies as a more cohesive unit, the fact that you can't recruit more troops to defend is a tad annoying, not really because the enemy attacks me, but because attacking the enemy is way too easy.
- The victory points seem to be even more useless because I have yet to reach one without routing the enemy first. In fact, in the siege of carthage the enemy was routed before I even got a quarter of my troops over the walls.
- Province system is cool and all, but really poorly implemented. The only noticeable bonus is that you can activate edicts which give you bonuses if you control the entire province, but those aren't a big enough reason for me to care about capturing it. In my opinion, sharing a province with another faction should cause negative diplomatic relations and it should be more lucrative to control the entire thing. (serious minuses if you don't, for example).
- You can autoresolve battles even though you have no siege equipment.
(- The clouds in the campaign map annoy me. With already cluttered screen, I don't need clouds block all of the sides as well. And the fog stuff...)

*Campaign AI
**Battle AI

In short, AI still stupid, but it does still look pretty. This time you just don't have time to enjoy it because the battles end too fast. Shame, because they were really touting about all those new combat animations. This time, though, the AI is Empire at release levels of stupid. And it's buggy. I almost miss Shogun stack spam, because at least that was a challenge at times.

Probably missed quite a lot, but whatever, I'm writing this from work.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 05:26:13 pm by Ninja_Khorin »

Offline Tor!

• He's Tor!
  • Marshall
  • Renown: 739
  • Infamy: 62
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Tor
« Reply #1071 on: September 04, 2013, 04:04:00 pm »
+1
Am I the only one enjoying the game?  :rolleyes:
[00:53] <xant> i used to play on eu_1
[00:53] <xant> then i took an arrow to the knee

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Zen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: September 04, 2013, 04:09:16 pm »
I'm enjoying it, actually. Looking forward to playing it when I get back home. Doesn't mean it's a very good Total War iteration, though. Just means I like Total War games.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: September 04, 2013, 04:18:52 pm »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: September 04, 2013, 04:25:37 pm »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Kink.com ?

On Rome 2, I found 3 good little mods you can try to use (didnt test any):

- 40 units per general : www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?617756-Want-40-units-fighting-under-one-General-Here-is-how!
- unit size multiplier : http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/78732-A-way-to-cahnge-unit_multiplier!?s=da6ca5e76c3ad9c25df261fd273e3323 (dont know why so few replies)
- 2 turn per year (2 TPY) : (lost the link, brb)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 04:29:04 pm by Butan »

Offline Strudog

• Marshall
  • Renown: 922
  • Infamy: 361
  • A Dog
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Britfag
  • Game nicks: Strudog
« Reply #1075 on: September 04, 2013, 04:26:16 pm »
you now something is wrong when i can chase down HA's with my spearmen.

Played as Parthia and you encounter a lot of HA only armies, they are too easy to beat, range is a little bit UP
This is the internet.
Men are men
Women are men
Little girls are FBI agents.
Those are the rules no?

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Zen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: September 04, 2013, 04:32:30 pm »
Another fan favourite was when I destroyed the Etruscan navies with my stack of land units on boats, by simply ramming them. Why on earth I'd want a navy that costs tons is beyond me.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: September 04, 2013, 04:33:37 pm »
+1
you now something is wrong when i can chase down HA's with my spearmen.

Played as Parthia and you encounter a lot of HA only armies, they are too easy to beat, range is a little bit UP
It's kind of therapeutic, though, to watch the arrows bounce off of your manly, oiled melee men as they heroically charge towards the cowardly archers who attempt to slow their inevitable advance in vain. You can imagine the panic and horror on the faces of those dastardly good-for-nothing bow-barely-deserving-of-the-name-men milliseconds before your gritty, valiant men of close combat gut them on their sharp, beautiful, studalicious blades. If only cRPG was more like Rome 2, it would be the best mod.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #1078 on: September 04, 2013, 04:41:56 pm »
I think I would if I could play it properly. In the state it is now, it's an unbearable lag-fest for me :(

I am really trying to like and enjoy it but due to the overall bad software state... it's difficult :cry:

EDIT:
http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/77096-Can-we-get-an-ETA-on-a-patch?s=bfa3740f50a69a407556107f316ed38a&p=648602&viewfull=1#post648602
http://www.videogamer.com/pc/rome_ii_total_war/news/total_war_rome_2_patch_to_release_this_friday_september_6.html
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 04:53:41 pm by benkei »
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: September 04, 2013, 04:52:53 pm »
I think I would if I could play it properly. In the state it is now, it's an unbearable lag-fest for me :(

I am really trying to like and enjoy it but due to the overall bad software state... it's difficult :cry:

Even with the tips you shared with us its lagging for you ?

Do you have 2 GPU ? The game doesnt support that so when you tick "unlimited memory" it doesnt work, and when you dont it just use 1 GPU and lowers the performance a lot.