Author Topic: Rome II General Info Thread  (Read 124939 times)

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
Re: Rome II General Info Thread
« Reply #1050 on: September 04, 2013, 11:47:10 am »
+2
You seem to make a point of taking your hurt to other threads, whenever someone posts something you don't like :lol:
No, it was just awfully obvious that he wasn't sure about opening it and not getting the refund.
Seems you have the tendency to blame others of being butthurt when they mock you for being ignorant to simple facts (like opening something and not being able to get the refund)
Guess from now on I better explain everything in simple terms for you.
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Jacko

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 839
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fffnanguard!
  • Game nicks: Jacko
« Reply #1051 on: September 04, 2013, 11:56:37 am »
Playing in constant window mode is a huge improvement, I can finally tab out and do something else waiting for the next round to load, haha.

Anyway, Rome II's mechanics are lacking. Compared to NTW (which is the best TW  game so far), it's very shallow and 'blobby'. As with most CA games, it takes 6 months of patching to get them right. I'll finish my campaign (to some extent), and then I'll let the game mature for a couple of months.. 
Monkeys!

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: September 04, 2013, 12:05:22 pm »
(click to show/hide)
Anyway, Rome II's mechanics are lacking. Compared to NTW (which is the best TW  game so far), it's very shallow and 'blobby'. As with most CA games, it takes 6 months of patching to get them right. I'll finish my campaign (to some extent), and then I'll let the game mature for a couple of months.. 
This was the impression i got, at least from as far as i got in the prelude campaign, before it went and crashed. All the fights were generally chaotic blobs of my melee units vs chaotic blobs of their units, with my units winning decisively for seemingly no reason, no real formations or anything. Units really need to be more cohesive, rather than passing through each other easily, which is what happens now.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: September 04, 2013, 12:49:31 pm »
Compared to NTW (which is the best TW  game so far)
Yes. Finally another enlightened soul!
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: September 04, 2013, 12:52:46 pm »
I was expecting at least some difficulty on legendary, doesn't seem much different so far. Hmm hope this becomes a CA prioty.

Also I guess each to his own because I thought NTW was the least interesting in the series, and 3 hour battles sound incredibly un-fun. although I do agree rome2's engagements are a little bit too short.

Offline pingpong

• Earl
  • Renown: 423
  • Infamy: 220
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: September 04, 2013, 01:13:01 pm »
Benchmark on all settings low 23.8 fps

Tried a first battle as parthia sieging kath, got like 2-3 fps, notsure but it felt like it, since my units were moving meters in minutes, GG on the optimization CA, i can run
shogun 2 just fine on med but this shit is unplayable at low?  :|

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #1056 on: September 04, 2013, 01:25:09 pm »
(click to show/hide)

Benchmark on all settings low 23.8 fps

Tried a first battle as parthia sieging kath, got like 2-3 fps, notsure but it felt like it, since my units were moving meters in minutes, GG on the optimization CA, i can run
shogun 2 just fine on med but this shit is unplayable at low?  :|
I get a proper 35fps as average and with bigger army size it's still not playable. Well, it might me playable but it isn't fun to play with this stuttering going on. Not to mention the ages one single AI turn takes on the campaign map although I could deal with that.
And Shogun 2 ran on very high for me, even when I was playing range heavy with those fire arrows...
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Mengil

• Noble
  • Renown: 18
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: September 04, 2013, 01:25:29 pm »
Playing in constant window mode is a huge improvement, I can finally tab out and do something else waiting for the next round to load, haha.

I would say that Rome1 is the best TW game ever, with roma surrection 2 mod of course :)

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #1058 on: September 04, 2013, 01:33:16 pm »
Common negative factors from the reviews I gathered was; long turn times, a bit sluggish performance even on high end pc's

Something one of my friends complained about. But this has been a 'feature' of pretty much every TW release certainly since medieval. I remember the turn times on Empire being hellish.

Can't actually play it atm because the new placed I moved into is still having the internet set up. A little bit of rage on my side because it supposed to be done when I moved in and was waiting for this. Will make it all the sweeter I suppose.

This was the impression i got, at least from as far as i got in the prelude campaign, before it went and crashed. All the fights were generally chaotic blobs of my melee units vs chaotic blobs of their units, with my units winning decisively for seemingly no reason, no real formations or anything. Units really need to be more cohesive, rather than passing through each other easily, which is what happens now.

Sounds the same as rome 1 to me  :)

ATI Radeon HD 5870 (Think it's 70, not sure), Intel Core i5 750, 8 GB Ram. I built it two years a go for like 450 euro. Have trouble running a lot of newer games at decent graphics, but Rome 2 runs quite well.

Sounds similar to mine then. Hopefully should run well  :)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 01:48:38 pm by Overdriven »

Offline [ptx]

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: September 04, 2013, 01:37:53 pm »
+1
I guess we can all agree that this game needs some extra time to put some polish on.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: September 04, 2013, 01:57:13 pm »
I have no problem with the game itself, except a quite bad synergy in battle

running-killing is very fast
+
unit size on ultra = 160 men with infantry !
=
an entire formation can rout in a matter of seconds
=
battles are over way too fast for my taste

Everyone and their mother are trying to find a way to edit the unit size in the game files but seems like the multiplier_unit line has been removed (most moddable TW ever right?).

Also, for those who pre-ordered through amazon, maybe you're like me and still havent received the DLC code: not sure when we will receive it because e-mails from amazon basically says "you should receive the code before X day", X being 4 september and up to 9 september in automatic e-mails.

I'm waiting with Macedon  :P

Offline Weren

• Duke
  • Renown: 588
  • Infamy: 18
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: irc://Weren
« Reply #1061 on: September 04, 2013, 01:57:59 pm »
For me the turn times are OK, at least in SP(They are going slighty slower in MP). I remember waiting ages in ETW for my next turn.
Free speech is about to become terrorism.

Offline War_Ferret

• Count
  • Renown: 182
  • Infamy: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: September 04, 2013, 02:11:59 pm »
(click to show/hide)

I only just discovered your hidden message there.

I'm not one to use the expression "LOL" lightly, but LOL, you keep baffling me  :rolleyes:

First you apologize, then you call me insane for trying to do some research on a game that is unexpectedly getting TERRIBLE ratings, and that I can still return to get my money back?

- Metacritic user rating dropped by about 0.5 points to below 6.0 in the last few hours. http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/total-war-rome-ii
- AI both on the campaign map and in battles is completely broken from what I read.
- There's no family tree for generals, who apparently are just random and replacable - also possibly hinting at a more shallow campaign experience overall.
- The balance is a joke with heavy infantry "steam rolling" everything.
- Familiar features like "fire at will" for javelin-carrying infantry units have just been stripped for whatever reason.

That's just some of the things I've learned and the "sane" thing to do here is just to say "fuck it, what do they know" and go ahead regardless?
Sorry, but if someone isn't sane here, it's you.

Before you go on critiscising people for what they do on these forums, maybe you should start with yourself and stop popping into threads, you have no apparent business with, just to harass people with your half-assed judgements.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 02:21:39 pm by War_Ferret »

Offline [ptx]

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: September 04, 2013, 02:25:13 pm »
I did not call you insane, i just found that an odd thing to do, buying a game, with the intention of returning it, without even having tried it yourself, based on the first-impression opinions of a bunch of random cRPGers. I would've suggested TPB, if someone else already hadn't.

My business with this thread is that i bought this game and am trying it?

Calm your tits.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: September 04, 2013, 02:32:39 pm »
Man, there's some really weird stuff going on, balance-wise. The one responsible for unit costs/balance must've been sampling some amazing recreational drugs.

Veteran Legionnaires have better stats than the First Cohort etc legionnaires yet cost less, Praetorians have 10 more upkeep than Veteran Legionnaires despite being the top melee unit of Rome, there is no limit to how many Praetorians you can recruit.....

And you can start recruiting them at about turn 15. And one unit of 120 Praetorians wins AI armies of 1000 that consist of hoplites/spearmen taking just a couple of losses, and you auto-replenish... and like said, you can spam as many Praetorians as you wish and there's no reason you shouldn't. Upkeep of 150, wtf?
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.