Author Topic: Rome II General Info Thread  (Read 125004 times)

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Rome II General Info Thread
« Reply #870 on: August 30, 2013, 09:46:28 am »
Yeah I looked up those pages and did some research, the two you mentioned are still slightly more dodgy than MGM (and you get the key right away - difference is 2-3€ only).

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #871 on: August 30, 2013, 02:28:28 pm »
Shit, you guys have a pretty good price. It's 55€ here :(

It was £45 but for some reason a few months ago they cut the price to £30. It's odd because it still shows the original £45 with a slash like it's on deal or something. No idea why they dropped it so much.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: August 30, 2013, 03:43:12 pm »
2 player Co-op is somewhat fun, i'm doing a S2 campaign with Okin atm, hopefully we'll get it somewhere, before R2 :)

Offline Tor!

• He's Tor!
  • Marshall
  • Renown: 739
  • Infamy: 62
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Tor
« Reply #873 on: August 30, 2013, 04:10:16 pm »
Fall of the Samurai coop is pretty epic :P

Looking forward to cooping in Rome 2 as well!
[00:53] <xant> i used to play on eu_1
[00:53] <xant> then i took an arrow to the knee

Offline Ganner

• Duke
  • Renown: 553
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The other white meat
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Ganner_of_Chaos
« Reply #874 on: August 30, 2013, 04:59:08 pm »
+1
This game will unlock in approximately 3 days and 17 hours

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: August 31, 2013, 04:20:50 am »
Fall of the Samurai coop is pretty epic :P

Looking forward to cooping in Rome 2 as well!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline deVada

• Vulgar
  • Knight
  • Renown: 53
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
  • banned CRPG until cancelled
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: OdiProfanumVulgus
« Reply #876 on: August 31, 2013, 02:44:36 pm »
any news about possibility to buy RTWII in non-steam version?

Offline okiN

• Marshall
  • Renown: 924
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: August 31, 2013, 04:52:18 pm »
AFAIK there's no such thing, all the other purchasing methods still lead back to Steam. We're living in the DRM age.
Don't.

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #878 on: August 31, 2013, 05:28:46 pm »
That's not smashing, that's picking appart.

Macedon also had fast moving infantry for support, not to mention the awsome cavalry

Brit my old friends of the time were warfare troglodites with their slingers and charriots...

It's smashing when your phalanx is hit from the sides and back as well as the front. You have to move your Light Infantry to stop the mighty Iceni flank, at which point they will be eaten up by Handsome Heavy Chariots, oh your cavalry? enjoy the spears and counter cavalry charge, all the whilst your slow moving phalanx is being pelted with stones and confronted by some angry chest hair wielding cunts, meaning if they break formation to turn and face the flankers they will be attacked from the rear, leaving them no choice but to be flanked, I mighty, Iceni.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWHV2WYdfTI

Being hit by a large stone that is traveling at high speeds is going to cause you some problems, you're forgetting that armour back then did not cover the entire body, when there is a thousand large stones showering down on you, regardless of how lethal they are, it is going to hurt and disrupt the unit.

I'm going to destroy you Adamar.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 05:36:47 pm by Leesin »

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: August 31, 2013, 06:15:34 pm »
Leesin, I wish you the best of luck, haven't played much multiplayer but the few times that I have proved that a cheap phalanx wall supported by heavily armoured cavalry, decent light infantry and good archers is extremely hard to beat, even when people knew that I was going for that type of army. As long as phalanxes continue to work as a slow to defeat anvil from frontal attacks I should be fine.

I am just a little worried that the default running thing means that managing stamina is going to be less important or not managing it is going to be quite forgiving, or maybe it already is less important in the latest Total Wars, haven't played much since Medieval 2. Would be a shame to nerf clever ploys or strategic flanks by allowing people to just run their units everywhere quickly without much of a penalty.

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #880 on: August 31, 2013, 06:42:33 pm »
A phalanx based army is always a tough nut to crack even when controlled by an inept player, but they are never unbeatable. They are especially a good defensive army, which is why in Rome 1 you would see newbs playing a battle with them just to make a lame defense formation and not move an inch, because they somehow think that makes them good if they win with it, up until a decent player tears them a new arsehole with a balanced army.

Fatigue will play a role for sure, but we've yet to see just how long battles will last on average. All of the footage we've seen so far is not the final game release, i.e the stats on units were pumped up and movement speeds upped so they would kill each other much quicker, thus the battles ended very quickly so they could demonstrate a full battle in a matter of minutes.

What I do know is Phalanx units have been balanced a lot better than they were in Rome 1, the days of Phalanx squares are most likely going to be long gone and any old newb wont be able to auto win vs another newb just by using a phalanx army. Phalanx lines will not be able to maneuver and turn so quickly as in Rome 1 so we are going to see a difference for sure.

I personally avoided playing Phalanx armies in Rome 1 because I found it boring as they were the easiest to use.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 06:47:50 pm by Leesin »

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: August 31, 2013, 06:46:12 pm »
+2
Default running is just a feature that's been missing from the older Total Wars. Anyone who's played multiplayer extensively knows how annoying it is that you have to make your troops run after giving a command. Generally, you have plenty of time to order them to walk if you want them to walk -- walking is slower, so you're not in a hurry anywhere. But when you want your troops to run, i.e., you're in a hurry, you don't want to waste any more time giving them the order to run.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: August 31, 2013, 06:58:12 pm »
Would be a shame to nerf clever ploys or strategic flanks by allowing people to just run their units everywhere quickly without much of a penalty.

Indeed;

In some medieval 2 mods, a unit would leave the "fresh" mod really fast and cant run more than a few hundred yards without slowing down too much. Also would be very slow to recover lost stamina, and near impossible to get back to being "fresh" if you have been exhausted.

I hope its very punitive to just run around everywhere and that depleting stamina gives appropriate debuff to attack/defense (and obviously running speed). Else its just a marathon-fest of heavy units able to reinforce any part of the frontline in a matter of seconds wherever they were in the first place; instead of having to place your army very, very carefully and just by analyzing another army positioning you could tell where would be the weakest point.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: August 31, 2013, 08:22:04 pm »
Well, I never played Rome 1 online, apart from the EB mod, where they had very low attacking and defensive stats, but were still extremely tough to kill off from the front. I'd only have about 25% of my force be phalanx units and I'd use them in an offensive manner. I'm not sure whether I was abusing an OP unit, they died fairly quickly to mass ranged or flanking, but I know I find it very handy to have stable lines in any battle on which you can pin down the enemy army while you maneuver your other units.

Actually I thought that the phalanx from the video appeared to be very fast moving, and quite resilient to side attacks. I don't doubt that they will be much less buggy and much less prone to derping their formation as they were in Rome, so I think my favourite way of fighting will continue to be viable. So majestic, walls of pikes.

Offline Tor!

• He's Tor!
  • Marshall
  • Renown: 739
  • Infamy: 62
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Tor
« Reply #884 on: August 31, 2013, 08:52:56 pm »
New siege (spanish commentary tho)

So javelins have a range of 80, cretan archers 125, and rhodian slingers 150. That seems awfully low for the archers and slingers, only javelins really seem worth it.  Romans also get a gladiator unit, with twice the melee stats of any other unit.

In the video cretan archers on the wall fire at the charging gladiator unit, failing to kill a single man, until a friendly artillery kills two. They still dont loose any after running through the breach and chasing down two units.  :rolleyes:

Archers and slingers seem like a complete joke, unless you need them to kill horse archers you cant catch.

Edit; Here's another new video

« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 09:02:57 pm by Tor! »
[00:53] <xant> i used to play on eu_1
[00:53] <xant> then i took an arrow to the knee